Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1919 1920 [1921] 1922 1923 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5923897 times)

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #28800 on: April 17, 2013, 09:15:51 pm »

Sigh. Things were going uneventfully until now. My Expedition leader/manager/broker/bookkeeper had a strange mood, needed yarn cloth, of which I had none. Went about my business hoping for a caravan to show up. Seasons go by, no caravan in sight. Suddenly realize we have one piece of yarn thread in the hospital. Squander precious time building a clothier's shop before realizing I need a loom. Squander more time trying to get a dwarf to use the yarn while it's in the hospital. Disassemble hospital. Wait as dwarves gradually take stuff from the stockpile. Finally a dwarf grabs the yarn and heads to the loom. Just as he's making the cloth, fey dwarf snaps, I hang my head in shame for a few minutes.

Next thing I know, there's a vampire sucking people's blood and no one seems interested in planting crops and suddenly we have no alcohol. :'(
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28801 on: April 17, 2013, 09:20:37 pm »

While I wasn't looking, an FB showed up in the first cavern layer at Necrobodice and wiped out the serpentfolk. It didn't bother going to the stair shaft for the fortress for a while, so I set up a danger room and recruited everyone who didn't have glitch-worthy labors to go put on some copper armor, grab a copper weapon, and start training.

Urgosh still got in and killed a nominal "animal caretaker" (and legendary fighter) when I wasn't looking, earning a surname in the process. After the battle, I had to improvise a hospital for two injured soldiers, and that meant opening a cave on ground level in the second cavern layer to gain access to water for the incapacitated while I built a proper hospital with a defensible well.

To my surprise and relief, most of the other soldiers immediately ran to the water to wash! They even took turns so nobody fell in.

Meanwhile, one of the two "hospitalized" dwarfs decided that FB syndromes (fever and numbness) and a sprained ankle weren't enough to keep her from reporting to the danger room for practice. I'm keeping an eye on her, but she seems stable.

The other one started moving around after the doctors visited, so everything appears to be back to normal, bar one former "animal caretaker".

The entrance to cavern 2 is heavily trapped now, and I'll put a statue as well. Once the critters start actually breeding I'll leash a couple down there for early warning if anything gets past the traps.

- - -

In other news, Necrobodice is now in its second winter. The tetrahedrite is plentiful, and there's some gold, galena, and sphalerite to be had, too-- enough variety of metals to trade crafts for steel and tin, I suppose. Though if we really need trade goods, there have been three strange moods-- two fey, one secretive-- that have produced legendary stone and bone carvers, there are sources for all three kinds of fabric and both dimple cups and surface-growing dye plants, the glassworks are running at full tilt, and of course as usual I've massively overproduced food and drink.

Until the next immigrant invasion, everyone in the fort except for the miners, the woodcutters, a couple of medics, and one child are now in the military, using the danger room to train until I can create steel. I think I might have the medics start a sniper squadron.

No goblins yet except for that one thief. I'm sure I should be worried, but I'm too busy working on plans to expand the surface courtyard to add a statue garden, so we can quit covering that lovely red sand in puke every time someone goes outside.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28802 on: April 17, 2013, 10:37:08 pm »

my dwarves have elected a third vampire as Mayor... in a row.

I think i've hit a science point here.

Vampires have awesome social skills and are awesome liars, so they are especially effective at getting themselves elected mayor. Its a good way to catch them though.

Also they have huge lists of relatives, old group affiliations and are very old.

Depends, some vampires are reasonably aged for a dwarf, it's not unreasonable to have one who;s only a century and a half or so old, which is old, but well possible, for a dwarf.

Anyway

So the undead are still lingering about outside, with no signs of leaving. There are no necromancers on the unit list, but I think there is one in ambush - I saw a human corpse shamble into a weapon trap and die, in pursuit of a deer. when I looked back to make sure the trap hadn't jammed as part of my security routine (and to see if opening the gates to clear out the squatters was feasible) I noticed that the human had gone - not a single human bone was left in the trap!
This raises some questions, though, as right next to that trap are the two halves the body of a troll who I hadn't managed to get inside before the dead began their wandering, and it lays there, still unmoving, all these months later (it has not been 9 months since the siege began), not to mention a couple bits and pieces of goblins also unclaimed by the cleaning crew in time.

Oh, I was inspecting my mayor, who is a member of the military, and was reminded of an amusing fact - he has 6 notable kills... all of which are the same goblin corpse! he killed the same zombie six times before it stayed down.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28803 on: April 17, 2013, 11:29:54 pm »

I'm waiting for Diplomat McBadarse to show up again. He took a ballista bolt to the somewhere, lived, and punched a badger's brains out on his way home.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #28804 on: April 17, 2013, 11:59:05 pm »

So after being bedridden for seven years with compound fractures to the ribs (caused by a beating administered by the Sheriff, after being convicted of murder) confirmed vampire Vutok Medtobstukos is back on her feet.

Apparently the medicae finally decided to attend to her.

The first thing she did after getting out of bed was to drain two orphans' blood and leave their bodies. In the absence of any other vampires (confirmed through a thorough background check of all citizens) I convicted her for those murders as well.

The sheriff swiftly administered justice, but now the vampire, as part of the military, was wearing iron armor. It looked like she was going to make it through the beating unscathed until the sheriff got one lucky strike in...

... and bit off her right ear.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Mentalpatient87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28805 on: April 18, 2013, 12:11:33 am »

In my Masterwork fort I keep getting a dwarf (or maybe two) that shows up a different first name and gender in Dwarf Therapist, and keeps transforming into a cougar randomly for a few seconds. Anyone know what this is? Is he a danger to other dwarves? I have one vamp locked in a cell doing the books. I made the mistake of making him the baron, not realizing he needs to hold meetings and he can't do that through bars. Can he hold meetings over a little open space, or does the diplomat have to be right up on him?
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow dwarf is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded dwarf shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #28806 on: April 18, 2013, 12:14:37 am »

In my Masterwork fort I keep getting a dwarf (or maybe two) that shows up a different first name and gender in Dwarf Therapist, and keeps transforming into a cougar randomly for a few seconds. Anyone know what this is? Is he a danger to other dwarves? I have one vamp locked in a cell doing the books. I made the mistake of making him the baron, not realizing he needs to hold meetings and he can't do that through bars. Can he hold meetings over a little open space, or does the diplomat have to be right up on him?
Read his description while changed. If it includes the words "now you will know why you fear the night" and mentions glowing eyes, then he's a werebeast. Anything else is probably a MWT feature.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28807 on: April 18, 2013, 12:25:11 am »

dam...thats harsh, shoulda walled her in with a burrow somewhere

but she did your fort a favor by ridding it of 2 parasitic children, so why convict her?

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #28808 on: April 18, 2013, 12:45:26 am »

dam...thats harsh, shoulda walled her in with a burrow somewhere

but she did your fort a favor by ridding it of 2 parasitic children, so why convict her?

Truth? I like to run the fortress so that I interfere with the dwarves as little as possible. I'm more interested in watching what they do than in any particular outcome - after all, if the fortress crumbles I'll have something for the next 'Adventurer wanted!' and the excitement of the reclaim.

So I try to be as little meta and game-y as I can, and let them get along with their lives. Such as they are.

That doesn't mean that I'm not gonna put a rope down in the second cavern, label it as a jail, and stick the vampire down there if she kills anyone else.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Mentalpatient87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28809 on: April 18, 2013, 02:05:09 am »

Read his description while changed. If it includes the words "now you will know why you fear the night" and mentions glowing eyes, then he's a werebeast. Anything else is probably a MWT feature.

I never catch him in time, really. I'll think about it next time it happens. I think it's just blank, as if he were a wild animal. He never attacks anyone and they're never interrupted by his cougartude. Also, he always changes back in a few steps at most.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow dwarf is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded dwarf shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28810 on: April 18, 2013, 06:14:52 pm »

My fledgling fortress survived an attack by a were-elk with no casualties.  Beginning to excavate more of mountain using a central dining room which is an idea I borrowed from ideas here to see how it works.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #28811 on: April 18, 2013, 08:13:06 pm »

i recently got sieged by goblins on mounts accompanied by war jabberers (way worse than trolls). the main problem was that a squad of bowmen was on the other side of the river and they have amphibious mounts. oh and they were led by one eyed pig demon. everyone else got walled off and picked off by crossbowmen. there was a cool battle between a squad of goblin crossbowmen (15-20 i'm guessing?) and my own squad. after like two or three crossbowmen got picked off by bolts, the rest ran away like the cowards they are, leaving me a lot of time to pick off the remaining macemen left (their hammerlord got caught in a cage trap. don't ask why he's their leader). currently, the fort side of my fort is clear, but the side opposite to the river isn't. my only causality so far is a dwarven child who was too stupid to get out of the way. the remaining bowmen got stuck in a tunnel i dug ages ago (it's bridged off so they can't get in). i'm preparing a spike trap surprise for them.

still need to get the elven caravan out of the fort. i'm scared they're turning my dwarves into hippies.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28812 on: April 18, 2013, 08:49:58 pm »

Celebrations in Rockadmire!  Metal, and lots of it.  Copper and Silver at the first cavern layer.  In celebration of this fact, young Unib Alathrash has organized a party.

Soon kobolds will know why they fear the fortresses.

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
  • You and what lightning fingers???
    • View Profile
« Reply #28813 on: April 19, 2013, 12:33:29 am »

Just had a first person observation of skill decay, My medic who was with me since embark has lost 1 level of each medical skill due to being excessively rusty since my fort just celebrated 10 years of its existence with hardly two sieges and maybe I would say 5 dwarves requiring healthcare.
I NEVER knew this happens than mean very soon my adequate diagnostician will a dabbler???

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28814 on: April 19, 2013, 01:30:54 am »

I'm waiting for Diplomat McBadarse to show up again. He took a ballista bolt to the somewhere, lived, and punched a badger's brains out on his way home.

I hate to tell you this, but significant figures cease to exist once they leave your fortress. Diplomat McBadarse never made it home...
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 1919 1920 [1921] 1922 1923 ... 3838