Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2166 2167 [2168] 2169 2170 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5930938 times)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32505 on: January 26, 2014, 11:18:16 pm »

Note: Do NOT assign dumping tasks to mothers. The mother takes 1 step, then her 4 kids rush to block the path. Carrying a beast and a baby is weight enough...

If you use a "kindergarten" burrow, you can keep the kids out of the way and safe from snatchers.

I have tried this, at least with some of the description you've given previously.  I can't get it to work. :(

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32506 on: January 26, 2014, 11:22:24 pm »

I have tried this, at least with some of the description you've given previously.  I can't get it to work. :(

Have you assigned beds and a dining room in the burrow?

Relicshield, pop. 150, Late Summer of 351 (Year 100)

Inspired by the performance of the elite soldiers, four of the the fortress's 2nd tier soldiers felt that it was also their time to shine.  The gladiators were marksdwarf Logem Graniteright, his 18 year old nephew, macedwarf Besmar Graniteright, and the two axedwarves, Shorast Channelflashes and Uvash Earthennourishes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

9 goblin snatchers, 1 kobold thief, and 1 minotaur were thrown into the arena.  The enemies did not fight, unlike the previous match.  Once the gate opened, the minotaur rushed at the youngest dwarf, Besmar.  While his uncle Uvash was busy shooting at snatchers, Besmar did his best against the raging bull-headed beast.  It attacked him relentlessly, keeping the young soldier off balance and unable to counterstrike. 

Still, Besmar managed to dodge or block every attack until Uvash cleaved the beast in two with his axe, Morningwhisper.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 11:25:15 pm by VerdantSF »

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32507 on: January 26, 2014, 11:58:07 pm »

The thought has crossed my mind for "normal" daycare, but in particular I'm wondering about:
1) Available dwarf power
2) They would need beds and a food stockpile in their burrow. It may be difficult to evenly distribute the food between stockpiles
3) Clothing concerns
4) Plus the kids sometimes help to pick the farm crops, which helps booze

I guess that the "child threshold" hasn't reach critical yet for me to setup the stuff.
And I'm trying to catch up with WanderingKid's zombie fort but I haven't "cleared" the surface yet

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32508 on: January 27, 2014, 12:29:01 am »

2) They would need beds and a food stockpile in their burrow. It may be difficult to evenly distribute the food between stockpiles
3) Clothing concerns
4) Plus the kids sometimes help to pick the farm crops, which helps booze

These days, I just include the main dining hall, clothing depot, and farm in the kid burrow.  The kids wander a bit more since the burrow is now made up of several hubs, but nothing too major.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 12:31:09 am by VerdantSF »

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32509 on: January 27, 2014, 12:30:07 am »

~Dawntrade~

CRACK went the heads of fifty-six citizens as a Seqivet hammersquad hiding in ambush tore through our population. The wall that was supposed to save us wasn't finished in time, and the cost was dear. Dawntrade would be no more if it weren't for the arrival of the humans; truly, trade has brought us our Second Sunrise. We only hope that we can claw our way back from the precipice of death and reach stability again.

RIP Kibeth, Belgaer, Saraneth and Astarael. Your brother- and sisters-in-founding will make sure you are not forgotten.

Ranna, Mosrael, Dyrim... May the luck of the demons be with you.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32510 on: January 27, 2014, 12:42:12 am »

Laborfords
15th Malachite, 226

Children are exactly half my fort. Also, my population is a power of two. And we've finally gotten around to dumping sieger crap into the magma tube, starting with the stuff in the repeating spike trap. I even gave in and turned invaders off so we can clear out the surface, though I won't do that until next year to ensure the map is actually clear of invaders.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 12:43:51 am by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32511 on: January 27, 2014, 01:03:37 am »

Children are exactly half my fort.

Laborfords aka Snatcherbait!

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32512 on: January 27, 2014, 01:06:33 am »

And so the final night looms over Dawntrade.

As I ascend back to the menu, I swear I hear screaming and cries that would rival a Skythe's, mixed with the unmistakable sound of stones collapsing and water flowing with great strength.
Poor Ranna, she has only her fury now... And of course it was left to Mosrael to end them both...

(That was completely made up. I abandoned, so Ranna, Mosrael and Dyrim live. Only those three though.)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 01:32:53 am by Lolfail0009 »

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32513 on: January 27, 2014, 01:18:35 am »

Children are exactly half my fort.

Laborfords aka Snatcherbait!

Bite me, they're almost all in the daycare. Also I'm completely turtled.

Snatcherbait Laborfords
25th Galena, 226

The human caravan that appeared on the 14th kindly acted as ambush bait. Meanwhile, the dumping continues. Booooriiiiiiiiing

Edit, 19th Timber:

There is nooooo way activating nopause and curling up in bed could possibly be a bad idea. (I probably even will be fine, I have frankly ridiculous quantities of prepared meals and increasing quantities of booze.)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 02:19:29 am by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32514 on: January 27, 2014, 02:18:12 am »

Complete turtling really sucks when you have 17 dwarves and 2500 undead.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32515 on: January 27, 2014, 02:21:53 am »

Complete turtling really sucks when you have 17 dwarves and 2500 undead.

Oh sweet merciless Armok. You poor bastard.

132 dwarves, only 64 adults, and years of corpse cleanup ahead here...

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32516 on: January 27, 2014, 02:45:15 am »

New fortress after spending much time on Google Translate! Trumpetone!
Now with added chasm!

Starting Seven:
  • 'Terratsuyo'
  • 'Silvatsuyo'
  • 'Aedificatsuyo'
  • 'Flumentsuyo'
  • 'Arbortsuyo'
  • 'Fabricatsuyo'
  • 'Cognitiotsuyo'

Let's live this time!

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32517 on: January 27, 2014, 04:27:44 am »

Laborfords
18th Felsite, 227

890 items left out of... i think ~1500... which is just the crap from inside...

nnnnnnnnngh...

up to 11k booze tho so...

also apparently all four of my cooks are legendary +5 so goddaaaaaamn

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32518 on: January 27, 2014, 05:05:30 am »

Relicshield, pop. 150, Late Autumn & Early Winter of 351 (Year 100)

For the 6th match of the Centennial celebration, 50 goblins were tossed into the pit where 36 war grizzlies waited in cages.

With an enthusiastic audience shooting bolts into the battle, the outcome was never in doubt.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 05:07:28 am by VerdantSF »

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32519 on: January 27, 2014, 05:12:26 am »

I'm interested in seeing what part them there dragons will play in the Centennial...
Pages: 1 ... 2166 2167 [2168] 2169 2170 ... 3838