Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2180 2181 [2182] 2183 2184 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5933777 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32715 on: January 31, 2014, 04:07:23 pm »

Taren Nishmorul, Miner, 3rd dead of the 7 founders. Dehydration, presumed overseer error.

The worst is when you take a break, but leave the game running with miners doing their thing.  I once had a rescued miner die of thirst right as she made it to the booze stockpile :(.

When the FB approached the troops, it did let off a bust of vapor, but apparently one of the soldiers blocked the entire thing, saving everybody from a potentially horrible death.

Nice! I once toyed with the idea of dual weapon-wielding dwarves, but shields are just too useful.

Relicshield, pop. 143, Late Autumn of 353 (Year 102)

A floor cover was ordered for the steps leading to one of the southeast dumpsites, but construction was delayed after noticing some clothes on the stairwell that was about to be blocked.  Urdim, patriarch of the Channeltrees, wasn't paying attention and ventured too close to the danger zone.  Luckily, he only suffered a broken arm. 

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32716 on: January 31, 2014, 04:13:27 pm »

Wasn't paying attention when I was leveling up an armorsmith.

I now have 882 copper shields.

Sheeeeiiiiiit.  -meltmeltmeltmelt-

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32717 on: January 31, 2014, 04:16:07 pm »

When the FB approached the troops, it did let off a bust of vapor, but apparently one of the soldiers blocked the entire thing, saving everybody from a potentially horrible death.

Nice! I once toyed with the idea of dual weapon-wielding dwarves, but shields are just too useful.
[/quote]

Yeah, I only saw one dwarf who blocked the vapor, so I think he/she was on top of the FB and managed to block the entire thing.

Also, the problem with the waterskins apparently fixed itself.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 04:23:54 pm by smjjames »

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32718 on: January 31, 2014, 04:26:58 pm »

Wasn't paying attention when I was leveling up an armorsmith.

I now have 882 copper shields.

Sheeeeiiiiiit.  -meltmeltmeltmelt-
At least you're likely to have a legendary furnace operator soon.....

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #32719 on: January 31, 2014, 04:28:16 pm »

Strip all of your soldiers of weapons and give them two shields instead.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32720 on: January 31, 2014, 04:53:25 pm »

No, just assign them each three copper shields and a weapon.

They'll be a tad slower but have 3x the block chance.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32721 on: January 31, 2014, 05:06:05 pm »

I don't know if you can make dwarves carry more than one shield in fort mode. Might be able to in the next release since we'll have proper dual-weidling there.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32722 on: January 31, 2014, 05:11:35 pm »

Relicshield, pop. 142, Mid-Winter of 353 (Year 102)

The dumpsite that led to Urdim Channeltree's broken arm was finally brought up to current safety codes, but not before one final accident.  Uvash Crescenttours, one of Relicshield's best frontline marksdwarves, was killed :(.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32723 on: January 31, 2014, 07:55:04 pm »

After five minutes of selecting every non-masterwork copper shield to be melted, the Shield Crisis is over.  So many copper shields ugh.  We have plentiful steel here in Temptaxe, no need for pitiful copper!

In other, much more exciting and fun news...

:o My first dragon.  MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32724 on: January 31, 2014, 08:42:54 pm »

Grats!  May the dragon warm the hearts of your dwarves and burn all your enemies to cinders.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32725 on: January 31, 2014, 08:52:54 pm »

In other, much more exciting and fun news...

I see you've graduated Pissing Lielac Off 101.
(Sorry, that was mean.. :P)

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32726 on: January 31, 2014, 09:00:44 pm »

Hey man, not my fault that it came on the beginning of my 3rd year when I'm still relying on cage traps and decided to bumble into one before breathing a lick of fire at anything.   :P

Dragon-taming hoooooo!

Also finally got my military dwarves sorted out and steel arsenals made, with another 2000 iron getting ready to be reborn as dwarven steel.  Good times for Temptaxe!

Edit: A vile force of darkness arrives!  Say hello to my traps.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 09:32:07 pm by Clover Magic »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32727 on: January 31, 2014, 09:49:29 pm »

Relicshield, pop. 142, Mid-Winter of 353 (Year 102)

The dumpsite that led to Urdim Channeltree's broken arm was finally brought up to current safety codes, but not before one final accident.  Uvash Crescenttours, one of Relicshield's best frontline marksdwarves, was killed :(.

Heh, when I had my dwarves fighting a flying bristleworm FB, they killed it, but somehow one of the iron bolts that was stuck in it went through one of my lasherdwarves steel helm, killing him in the proccess. Since it was from above, I'm not sure how the heck that would have happened, plus steel helm. Though I guess it's easily imaginable as one of the bolts sticking out driving into the poor dwarfs skull with the weight of the falling FB behind it.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32728 on: January 31, 2014, 10:25:19 pm »

Though I guess it's easily imaginable as one of the bolts sticking out driving into the poor dwarfs skull with the weight of the falling FB behind it.

Ouch!  Ugh... I hate FBs.  Or maybe it's more accurate to say that I love to hate them, since I think they're damn cool and still manage to surprise me every now and then.

Relicshield, pop. 140, Early Spring of 354 (Year 103)

The population of the Mountainhome has been in a slow, but steady decline over the past few years.  To combat the trend, Mayor Regent Mosus II Lanterngaze-Anguishedpages has offered several benefits to courting and recently married dwarves, including paid leave from work and exemption from military service. 

The most eligible bachelor of the fortress is Edem IV Claspletter, the 22-year-old grandson of Relicshield's first dragon battlemaster, Edem II. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There are four bachelorettes currently vying for his affections.

A holiday suite all to their own and plenty of time to socialize, bets are being taken all around the fort on who will win Edem IV's heart. With all four bachelorettes considered beauties, it's their traits that set them apart.

Endok, a 22-year-old traditionalist from an influential family, is a favorite among older bettors.  Still, Endok is far from stodgy and still enjoys trying new things.

Zon is another frontrunner with a fine pedigree.  Friendly and modest, the 23-year-old is nearly as popular as Endok.

Zan II is a calm and collected 24-year-old, who is rarely moved to anger and able to handle stress.  All admirable traits, though she comes across as a bit dull and aloof for most bettors.

Finally, there's Lolor III who often feels discouraged, has a lack of self-discipline, and doesn't go out of her way to help others.  Still, she's almost as assertive as Zan II.  This 26-year-old might prove to be the dark horse of this courting competition. 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 10:31:00 pm by VerdantSF »

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32729 on: January 31, 2014, 10:44:11 pm »

Verdant, you have crossed yet another line - brought DF yet one more shade closer to reality: it is now also a game show.

I demand nightly reports. Drama. Who said what! Which bachelorettes framed the others! Gossip! Bedroom rep--wait, I mean, spore reports! BABIES.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?
Pages: 1 ... 2180 2181 [2182] 2183 2184 ... 3838