Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3269 3270 [3271] 3272 3273 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5933840 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49050 on: December 21, 2016, 02:32:34 pm »

Hnnng build the great hall faster you twats! Ideally before I get another migrant wave, because then that'll push this outpost up to 20 and my expedition leader will become a lord. D:

EDIT: Roof over what'll be the lord's quarters is mostly up, starting to mine out the cellar and tomb, and the elves are here? Hand over all your shit and get out, you tree-worshiping cannibals.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 03:50:39 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49051 on: December 21, 2016, 05:44:02 pm »

The fort's entered an unfortunate cycle:

1. Urist enters strange mood.
2. Urist claims workshop, starts gathering materials. I see that all is well and move onto other things.
3. Urist can't find a material he wants and sulks. I don't notice.
4. Urist goes berserk.
5. Urist takes a steel mace to the face.

It's happened three times in a row...
I've had 4 out of 6 moods this fort end this way.

But that last one succeeded! I now have my second artifact and a CMD who is a legendary clothier.
The artifact in question is rope reed... underpants. Wtf Urist? Those aren't even dwarven clothing. How did you know how to make those!?

In other news the main fort battlements are finished and the foundation is being laid for my new barracks. The local trees are also finally growing. Just in time too, I'm almost out of glumprong D:
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #49052 on: December 21, 2016, 05:46:24 pm »

FINALLY able to settle down enough to cook some prepared meals so I'll have stuff to sell to the caravan. Thing is, a year with minimal immigrants is good in that I haven't had to juggle my leader's needs and potential invaders until I'm ready, but bad because part of the holdup is lack of manpower.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49053 on: December 21, 2016, 08:44:24 pm »

Just got my first goblin resident.
I'm considering making him the baron because that thing lives forever.

OluapPlayer

• Bay Watcher
  • In a time before time, I attacked me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49054 on: December 21, 2016, 08:49:27 pm »

Fort made directly next to the elves so I could comfortably harass them until war happens.

First non-fixed migrant wave I get brings me 24 children. 1/4 of the fortress is completely unusable.

I should throw these vermin to the elves when they do get angry.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49055 on: December 21, 2016, 09:09:18 pm »

The goblin fortress next door just sent their first invaders.
Final casualties before we wiped them all out is a woodcutter, engraver, someone's pet pig and an axe lord.
The pig got caught immediately and wailed on for many pages before succumbing, this bought the militia time to arrive.
Not quickly enough though, a goblin axeman, clearly their greatest warrior, cut down the two civilians without ceremony before the first troops arrived.
It was brutal.
Our tragic hero did well for herself though, despite her blood soaked foe, the same to have already ended two dwarven lives, hacking off her leg and shield hand she kept on striking back at him, and managed to live just long enough to see her nemesis struck down before expiring.

I'm going to build a monument on the exact spot she died.

EDIT: Goddamn I love the new details menu. I just commissioned statues of Kogan and another of battleaxes, the weapon of both her and her foe.
These now sit on the roof of her shrine above her slab.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 12:20:52 am by Pirate Santa »
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49056 on: December 21, 2016, 10:09:48 pm »

I cut down all trees on the surface and got 12800 logs. ::)
I used stockpiles to prevent them from growning back. Just hope the elves don't find out.  :P

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #49057 on: December 21, 2016, 11:19:54 pm »

Might as well story-ify my pissing off the elves.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49058 on: December 22, 2016, 01:32:11 am »

Almost immediately after vanquishing our second goblin siege a Hill Titan appears!
My first ever!  :D
It's a giant mite with a poisonous sting, surely this will be a battle for the..... oh.

That's the entire combat log. They chipped and bruised it for a bit and then a wrestler bit its brain in half. Wow.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #49059 on: December 22, 2016, 02:01:27 am »

Pbbbt. Meanwhile, my efforts to build a moat accidentally a wagon.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49060 on: December 22, 2016, 03:25:32 am »

Going to embark on a Savage Tropical Shrubland, hoping to catch and tame some giant elephants!
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49061 on: December 22, 2016, 04:34:45 am »

Going to embark on a Savage Tropical Shrubland, hoping to catch and tame some giant elephants!

I've heard that this is guaranteed to end well.  Remember to periodically flood the surface with magma too.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49062 on: December 22, 2016, 08:09:15 am »

What do you have to say, Mr. Elf?

Edit*

For some reason, none of my dorfs have been in a strange mood during the paste decade. They dug all the way down to the caverns and settled there. In theory they should have already created one artifact or two, correct?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 08:17:00 am by Libash_Thunderhead »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #49063 on: December 22, 2016, 01:01:33 pm »

So, I done derped. I set it so that the settlement would start with an expedition leader, who would upgrade to a lord once the settlement hit 20 citizens and became a hamlet.

However, I set the lord to not be elected because duh, and not be appointed because the only position that makes sense for that is the law-giver, and civ-level appointing doesn't work that well. So the position would never appear until I deleted the expedition leader.

Then again, even tiny hamlets with no mead hall tend to have a lord/lady, so if I retain this change in the future it'll be better flavor AND add to the early-game challenge by having a whiny noble right off the bat.

I might tone down the room requirements though. At a bare minimum I can see needing a series of baron-quality tombs if lords keep dying will get annoying fast.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #49064 on: December 22, 2016, 05:25:53 pm »

@Libash: Do you have at least 20 mood-capable dwarves? If not, welp.
Pages: 1 ... 3269 3270 [3271] 3272 3273 ... 3838