Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 852501 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread , Now with meaningless poll!
« Reply #2940 on: December 13, 2016, 04:27:57 am »

Shub-Nullgurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #2941 on: December 13, 2016, 07:13:13 am »

Pathfinder is a really poor system all round, for a variety of reasons.

Primarily though, it's that there's seemingly a cultural divide in terms of how "realistic" the game should be.

Ignoring the fighter / wizard problem where fighters stay foot sloggers who just hit things when wizards start farting fireballs and literally altering reality with their magical powers, there's also a divide in individual characters.

A high-level fighter can survive a fall at terminal velocity but can't use a weapon cord to retrieve his weapon as a swift action. An archer can fire ten thousand arrows each round and they can bend around allies but a similarly built crossbow user can't fire more than two because it wouldn't be "realistic". There was a thread on the Paizo forums about how it's more feasible to build a character who throws water balloons than it is to build a crossbow user and it got locked for being "non-productive".

There's a huge lack of a unified design vision and the game is beginning to become excessively cluttered with classes.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: December 13, 2016, 07:15:21 am »

No comparison of versions/games please, it's a rule that has been emplaced in order to prevent arguments and locks.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: December 13, 2016, 11:26:19 am »

From the OP:
From the outset I want a few things clear, DO NOT engage in 'version X is better than version Y' discussion/argument, I will lock down the thread and report the parties responsible. (Even if it's me.)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: December 13, 2016, 11:33:56 am »

All other game systems pale before FATAL, anyway.

So... last NWoD session was particularly messed up...  I'm just going to post a bit from our Skype log.  I'm getting enough nightmares from Fallen London.

Quote from: Skype
[12/9/2016 8:28:33 PM] [Chad]: What'd I miss Wednesday goys
[12/9/2016 8:47:41 PM] [Sean]: Well its hard to explain
[12/9/2016 8:49:15 PM] [Sean]: Basically Chicago sucks
[12/9/2016 8:50:07 PM] [Me/Brian]: (nod)
[12/9/2016 8:50:14 PM] [Sean]: Oh wait let me just paste in my exp log summery
[12/9/2016 8:50:22 PM] [Sean]: Jen got kidnapped to a rape dungeon, but she got better. [Sean] Did terrible horrible awful shit and passed all my morality checks. Healed all my aggervated damage by eating hearts and doing demotic rituals involving making someone kill their brother and burning a living cat. Handed out cursed items to people and made more possessed.
[12/9/2016 8:50:43 PM] [Me/Brian]: Oh good that's an actual summary yeah
[12/9/2016 8:51:40 PM] [Me/Brian]: Your character ought to be our moral compass now except Sean still has 6 humanity after literally a dozen checks, some of them on 1 die
[12/9/2016 8:52:14 PM] [Me/Brian]: Brian's down to 2 but no insanity except for fear of children, which is kinda reasonable after helping turn a bunch into demons
[12/9/2016 8:55:36 PM] [Me/Brian]: But yeah Chicago sucks, particularly now that we're done with it, and also tomorrow (or tonight?) in-game Captain Murphy is going to ride in on a stellar eclipse or something.  (Brian had a dream, it was great)

Edit:  Sean's player was our DND 3.5e DM, and our Vampire DM, he has a real talent for creepy shit in-game.  So it's particularly hilarious that his character is steadfastly staying at 6 morality (7 is baseline)...  Basically his character is incredibly sorry for every horrible action, and doesn't really know why he's doing them.

Whereas Brian and Jen basically rationalized everything, rapidly becoming psychopaths.  Brian has no problem killing for the cause, he is a True Believer in Captain Murphy.  Jen has no problem killing many defenseless people for... uh, herself.
The big difference is that Brian somehow remained EERILY sane in his descent (each drop of morality has a high chance of causing derangement).  Jen is... fucking nuts.  Luck of the dice, but also ironic since Jen's player played the batshit Gangrel who ended up with like 7 personalities last session.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 11:45:43 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: December 13, 2016, 11:42:56 am »

Good to see world of darkness is still world of darkness.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: December 13, 2016, 11:50:36 am »

I wanna run one of those play-by-post Pathfinder games I'm infamous for but I've gotten stuck in worldbuilding: part of me wants to do a game in the vein of Beowulf or Sigurd the Volsung where the players are Norse-ish warriors of incredible skill in fictionalized Viking Age Scandinavia and part of me wants to do a game where the players are pirates in the fictionalized Golden Age of Piracy Caribbean Sea. I've done a lot of research to create rules and restrictions to make the Viking setting more accurate but something seems more captivating about the idea of a pirate setting.

Bluntly, which one sounds more fun?
Both? Viking setting inherently contains raiding and piracy, so you could quite nicely make a piratical viking game.

You could maybe even fuse the two a little, fantasy up the world a bit more and have maybe a Vikingesque continent in the north and a more standard nautical continent to the south, with a large sea dotted with islands in the centre as a focal point.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: December 13, 2016, 11:53:04 am »

Vikings, except they all have eyepatches.

Best of all worlds.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: December 13, 2016, 11:53:41 am »

Good to see world of darkness is still world of darkness.
Updated.  And when he says Jen "got better", maybe I can clarify a *little*...  She convinced another captive to go for the guard's gun.  The other woman lost an arm, but Jen got the guard's shotgun, then shot her way out.  Especially once she got an SMG.

Later, Sean needed to kill someone for the demon pact, so we hired a hooker.  We got the one-armed woman.
We ended up using one of the rape-gang for the sacrifice after dragging him home and... gods... calling up like 4 of his friends to meet for an execution. 
But I'm pretty sure Jen executed the one-armed woman while we weren't looking.  For being rather upset, as you might imagine.
Yeah, NWoD.  Edge to the MAX, but self-aware (protip:  Hunters literally have powers called "edge")

Edit:  OH YEAH Jen, after shooting her way outside with some freed captives, traded those captives to get her purse back.
There were very important artifacts in the purse but still, maybe that explains why maybe the one-armed woman was just a little bit upset with Jen
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 11:57:18 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: December 13, 2016, 03:16:29 pm »

I wanna run one of those play-by-post Pathfinder games I'm infamous for but I've gotten stuck in worldbuilding: part of me wants to do a game in the vein of Beowulf or Sigurd the Volsung where the players are Norse-ish warriors of incredible skill in fictionalized Viking Age Scandinavia and part of me wants to do a game where the players are pirates in the fictionalized Golden Age of Piracy Caribbean Sea. I've done a lot of research to create rules and restrictions to make the Viking setting more accurate but something seems more captivating about the idea of a pirate setting.

Mystery in the City of Starlight.
Black lives matter.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2950 on: December 13, 2016, 03:20:43 pm »

I second this.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: December 13, 2016, 03:48:58 pm »

I second this.
Oh yeah

So, uh, funny story: after BHK cleared their sheet with me I didn't realize that we were ready and by the time I remembered that the game existed the thread had been dead for like a week, so I figured if people were still interested it would be bumped

But screw it, I still like the idea behind that game. I'm going to make sure everyone's still present and interested, then go from there.

Maybe chance running two things at the same time again, see if that works out. At least I'm not planning on like four at once, like I often did back in the dark ages.

To the various people who suggested 'why not both': I'm one of those boring history nerds who cringes when people in High Middle Ages films wear plate armor and who almost dies when people conflate two Renaissance centuries with one another. I don't think my heart could handle Captain Jįk Žparrow, and I was looking at the Golden Age of Piracy specifically because of the late-1600s/early-1700s feel, rather than for the sake of raiding and robbing.

I do like the "everyone has eyepatches" idea, though, albeit in the context of an Odin-worshipping priesthood rather than pirates.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: December 13, 2016, 03:50:38 pm »

Pirate game would be fun. I want to play a huge buff orc sailing the high seas <3
Black lives matter.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: December 13, 2016, 04:09:49 pm »

I just played through Pirates of the Sword Coast module for neverwinter. I am also in the mood. Yohoho and a bottle of rum.
Love, scriver~

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: December 13, 2016, 05:43:58 pm »

I'd be up for a pirate or a viking game. Either or.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 623