Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 852495 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #525 on: July 27, 2015, 06:51:04 pm »

That sounds familiar. I'm glad that my 'That Guy' got fed up and left. Though he's still out there somewhere, bitching out other players and complaining when he gets caught breaking the rules or when the rules aren't in his favour. Last I heard, he got real salty with a DM after he tried to use a mind-affecting spell against some type of demon that is specifically immune to mind-effects, and had the DM tell him no.

And considering that there is a literal nation of militant atheists that specifically go after all deities, a massive amount of dead gods that still receive worship, several real-world pantheons, most prominently being the ancient Egyptians, literal elder gods and outsiders/aliens, including Cthulhu, and plenty of philosophies that cover an incredibly wide variety of topics, I don't think he gets a pass to bitch about who you worship. The gods have enough on their hands with actual enemies to bother with people who don't even remotely affect them.

The world is crazy enough that I don't think he has a right to bitch about backstories. I mean, there is an adventure path where you travel through time and space to assassinate Rasputin. There's all that technology bullshit, with aliens and interplanetary travel. There's things from beyond the universe that even the gods don't know about, except maybe Zon-Kuthon, since he is infested by some eldritch-alien parasite. Plus who knows what the occult stuff will introduce. Just two more days till I can buy the pdf and see.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: July 27, 2015, 07:04:11 pm »

Highmax, that's not a friend you're describing. It's That Guy, and a major tool to boot.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: July 27, 2015, 09:22:18 pm »

Well Diplomacy has two major weaknesses
1) The target needs to listen to you
2) The target is only more friendly towards you

Diplomacy as a Jedi Mindtrick is like Free parking rule in Monopoly... it is a house rule so prevalent that people will swear it is in the actual rulebooks.
The second part's a good point!  So it's like an extraordinary Charm Person, and only if you can hit a DC of 45 (Hostile to Friendly with a -10 for using 1 round instead of 10).  Under 3.5e, anyway, PF really nerfs it.  So it has most of the weakness of Charm Person, in that they're still just as hostile to your friends.  But still could be useful, particularly since a t

Under Pathfinder it's "generally ineffective in combat" and always takes a minute, so no longer a mindtrick.  Or, hm, there's an "unchained" alternate rule where you can do it in 1 round for a -10 like in 3.5e, if you have 10 ranks.  With 15 ranks, no penalty :o  I'd rule those work in combat.  It's still just two steps, hostile to indifferent, so still not as good as 3.5e.

And thats something I hate about pathfinder: diplomacy checks and most magic spells are broken, to the point my friend told me he can convince my guy, regardless of what his save was, because he had this stupidly high diplomacy bonus, of stripping naked and giving him all his stuff.
It's pretty screwy that diplomacy rolls are unopposed, but they can only be used against NPCs (PF and 3.5e).  Oh huh, in PF they do get slightly tougher from the target's CHA mod...  That's a good idea but much too little.
Also I don't see how he would even do that to an NPC.  I guess "make request", but demanding that much aid seems absurd...  Arguably a +5 for every item requested.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: July 27, 2015, 09:29:12 pm »

Unchained options require that you take the Signature Skill feat, however, and you have to take that feat once for each skill you want to use 'unchained'. Unless you are an unchained rogue, who gets one instance of the feat for free.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 09:31:04 pm by BlackFlyme »

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: July 27, 2015, 10:17:26 pm »

This is the same campaign with the Vegas/New York hybrid run by catfolk (who are all italian with their own mafia) and the DM has been trying so many times to best him. THIS DM IS A LEGEND, I SWEAR TO GOD.

Bluff your way through the entire Nazi encampment, making everyone beleive you're one of them with disguise self? NAZI COLONEL SHOWS UP.

He actually made the player actually sweat his balls off with one question with some sort of discern truth aura on. The question:

Yes or no, is there a shape shifter currently infiltrating our ranks as <insert the guy he was impersonating's name>?

And the only way he was able to do it is because he had two metamagic feats to make it appear he wasn't doing anything to turn off his aura or whatever with dispel magic and then LIE TO THE NAZI OFFICER WHO IS AN INQUISITOR.

His reaction was the best when the DM said the following:

The colonel sits back in his chair, lights up a cigar and smiles. "Its going to be a long day, isn't it?". PURE AND UTTER SHOCK. Its like that scene in the new wolfenstein when the lady points the gun at you during their interrogation.

This DM also masterfully created an entire campaign BASED ON FIVE NIGHTS AT FREDDY'S. And he's expecting to do a second and final part for five nights 4 (since the last ended with the same ending as five nights 3, where the killer is slain in the suit).

I should probably explain that one.

Replace the restaurant with a fortress as a prison camp. Place an anti-magic field over it and a field that banishes all outsiders (Summons, familiars, eidolons, etc) so the mages can't end the horror. Throw the party a map at the beginning that works like the marauders map, so it shows the entire layout of the place. This is the setting.

We first walk in and "That guy" spots one figure in a golden suit of armor standing on a balcony and then its gone as fast as it appeared, and now he is genuinely afraid, as the bard, "that guy" and the rogue witness a child matching the description is shot in the back of the head during an execution. The party gets a small journal about the place telling of the execution of a child called "the puppet master" from a body hung pierced by his throat as he hangs off of a sword. We enter the place, and we note that there are suits of armor on the map that are marked with strange emblems. We then spot the first one as we wander around: A blue suit of armor with glaring red eyes with a coat of arms on his chest depicting a hare. The party hides in the closet as the blue armor goes away, and we decide to take alternate route and head for the basement where several names are.

We find out its what we're here for but its locked. I'm noted as the designated map checker and I spot a red suit in the opposite stairwell with a wolf on its coat of arms. We head upstairs and back towards the prison cell where we hid before. Checking the map again, I notice the armor in that room starts darting towards us. I immediately panic and hold the door as "that guy" freaks out. The red one goes away and we maneuver our way towards the guard tower where we see a name that was mentioned to be this bastard of a warden. We have to make a detour as we find that the blue one is blocking our way.

At this point, I can't stop checking the map, and one party member who played the game to much, tells me to stop it because it attracts the red one (as apparently happens in the game). IMMEDIATELY after she says this, the red one darts towards us and we locked ourselves in the chapel. We spot a priest of some goddess of law (Saren Rae or soemthing like that) who's held up by daggers, which I take and put him down. We find what we assume is the priest's room and my and the rogue get a glimpse at a little girl looking scared at the same priest standing naked and then a third one as we witness the child being raped as the priest pulls a knife and stabs her. I instantly go over to the dead body and take his head clean off. "That guy" loses it on me, saying justice was served and he forgets I'm playing my character and he says I shouldn't be doing that because its an evil act (do note even to this day, he keeps trying to convince the DM that I did this and like 3 other things that are evil acts).

We argue, the game goes on as we make our way up. We go up the tower we need to go to and the warden is indeed the guy who shot the kid and he has no regrets of it. He agrees to free the prisoners if we take him to his office... On the other side of the fortress. We move our way and we  realize the armors get MUCH more aggressive. I check the strairwell back and I spot a gold (I think, can't remember exactly) suit of armor with a hawk on it. We marked 3/4 of the main cast (5 if you include the golden suit "that guy" saw). Party is surrounded from all sides back in the chapel and "that guy" suggests to abandon the warden to the armor. Party ends up arguing on leaving him, and then the armors move, giving us a chance to escape.

We maneuver around more and watch in a torture chamber another vision of child getting the rack and splitting in half. We make our way outside as the hawk is right behind us but only watching with the door behind us open (we decided to call her Chelsea at this point, the wolf Wolfred, and the hare Harry) and we walk outside to a balcony to see a bronze suit of armor (now named Frankie) staring us down from the courtyard and the warden flip out as he sees it. Some of us have a vision (the rogue really tanking these rolls and seeing all of them, the duregar wizard thinking we're all nuts with seeing none) of a child getting his head smacked against the edge of the wall and then getting picked up and dropped on his head by another guard. We're about to enter back into the place when we realized the DM has been rolling every time we walk into a room. He smiles as he gets up and moves us on the map. A golden suit of armor that looks exactly like Frankie shows up and screams as he charges at us and phases through us and we are all under the effect of fear as all of us except the rogue and the DM's ranger (who's the first mate and the girlfriend of the captain of our ship) try to follow us as the duregar finally admits something horrifying is going on.

We make our way upstairs and the guy gives us the key to the basement and leaves, saying he'll be alright... Without my magic map. We find his hidden stash of money and we're greeted with the sound of a small child saying "Hi!". We now see a child with tear mark scars under his eyes that run down his face and he explains to us that he can no longer control his "friends" and they are after "the bad man". The kid is the puppet master we've heard about and we go with him as we notice that the five armors have the warden cornered and he's still alive, and the kid finds it weird.

We end up in the room and they're staring at a suit of armor that is golden and has a hare on it. The puppet master laughs as he says he'll deal with this. He goes inside the armor and the armor begins to collapse upon itself, blood slowly coming out of the cracks, and slowly, it caves in on itself, and the body slumps to the ground. The puppet master and the armors go into the afterlife but the warden's body starts spasming and freaking out as he stands out, his body twitching at every movement. Cue the final boss of the area as he makes everyone in the party except the females (both of them) run away from a fear spell. My character panics in the corner as the women take out the armor, and it turns more bestial as the helm visor melds into a maw and bites the rogue on the head, hurting her immensely. After a few rounds, we finally manage to kill him (and by us, I mean the two ladies) and the body slumps over, slowly losing its spasms.

Later on, a couple months later, I check the map just to see whats happening... And the gold armor has moved, and the five others stayed.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 10:39:54 pm by highmax28 »
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: July 27, 2015, 10:18:32 pm »

Jesus weeps for walls of text

paragraphs, man
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: July 27, 2015, 10:23:41 pm »

Highmax, convince your DM to do an online campaign so I can join it. :v
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: July 27, 2015, 10:37:07 pm »

Jesus weeps for walls of text

paragraphs, man

Give me a bit to go over and edit it. I kind of stopped writing, left my laptop, came back and forgot about it, came back later, wrote more, stopped writing, left, rinse and repeat like 5 times.

EDIT:

fixed it. It should look cleaner.

Highmax, convince your DM to do an online campaign so I can join it. :v
He doesn't do online campaigns. Sadly, I'm pretty sure most of his campaign ideas would never work outside a RL environment.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 10:40:48 pm by highmax28 »

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: July 27, 2015, 11:09:04 pm »

Well Diplomacy has two major weaknesses
1) The target needs to listen to you
2) The target is only more friendly towards you

Diplomacy as a Jedi Mindtrick is like Free parking rule in Monopoly... it is a house rule so prevalent that people will swear it is in the actual rulebooks.

The 3e Epic Level rules allow the use of the diplomacy skill to turn someone into a fanatical follower, but it has a dc of 50-150 depending on the target's starting attitude
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: July 27, 2015, 11:22:48 pm »

Pathfinder ignores PC/NPC rules and its the same. I always set my games that it affects the decision, but the player ultimately decides. Apparently, that's how its done in 4e, but I may be wrong. I'm running my own 5e game with the same rule.

Also, Tyson-Chan the gnome barbarian has become a werebear and now triples her size when she turns into hybrid of bear form. I have her make a con save every time because she's essentially stretching her body to a size it should never become, making her sick and possibly have some skin becoming loose from that. So far, some tieflings tried to kidnap her, but she turned into a bear and fucked them up. Why did they try to do so? They thought she was part of a group of murderers who murder tieflings while wearing animal masks (because she has nothing but references to hotline miami in her story, why not add more?) and she has a horse head mask that they recognize. They find out she had the mask for 8 months as a sort of gift given to her by someone who left it for her but she never wore it and the murders took place 4 months prior to the moment they're at. So she's innocent, but they're going to come back. Especially when a group of gnomes appear and they're actually part of the group called 1000 Years of Sin (as named for the tieflings causing so much pain and terror to the gnomes in this world).

And just as the party is waiting for a new job to happen, the town is invaded by the ancestors of the goblin/orc alliance from over 1000 years ago. Enter the hobgoblin invasion (I decided that hobgoblins will be a new race, and for the purposes of my world, they are the product of breeding goblins and orcs together for vessels of war). This means that since the town is 90% adventurers that this battle is going to be very interesting. Oh, and a monk is going to fly in with his magic boots of levitation and drop kick someone.

I should note as well, specifically to twinwolf, this is apiks' monk I put in my world. Hatred is here and he's kind of screwing around and apiks just came into town. He also looks much better as he has tattoos for being a pirate, wears an albatross necklace (which marks a storyline with him on being cursed), and his hair is no longer flowing and long but short and near balding as he shaved it to try and avoid being noticed. He's still a flirtatious bastard though and is making th party bard very flustered since "romance" and "courting" isn't in her vocabulary as she's been a shut in for most of her (very short for an elf) life.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: July 27, 2015, 11:34:22 pm »

How do you mate goblins and orcs safely?
Black lives matter.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: July 27, 2015, 11:35:43 pm »

With a long, looooooong stick.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: July 27, 2015, 11:36:48 pm »

>:I
Black lives matter.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: July 27, 2015, 11:45:19 pm »

How do you mate goblins and orcs safely?
I assume the same way the made Uruk Hai. Magic and other bullshit. They had over 1000 years to figure this shit out

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: July 27, 2015, 11:47:48 pm »

No you said mating and I got worried.
Black lives matter.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 623