Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845501 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #510 on: July 27, 2015, 04:53:44 pm »

Create Water isn't that bad. Assume you've got a 20th level Cleric, at 2gal/level per cast, that's 40 gallons of water per cast.

One cubic foot of water is close enough to 7.5 gallons that it's easier to approximate like that. That means you'd need 937.5 gallons just to fill a single 5' cube. That's 24 casts of the spell, or 2 minutes and 24 seconds. To fill a single 50' square room with a 10' high ceiling, you'd need a bit over 41 days. Even a little 15x15x10 room would take 3 days and 18 hours to fill.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: July 27, 2015, 04:56:56 pm »

True but there are a lot of creative things you can do with that.

Like the time I flooded a field where we were going to ambush some gobbos so that it would create muddy swampy terrain so we could ambush them more easily.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: July 27, 2015, 05:01:45 pm »

See, that's the sort of thing that I'd applaud as creative thinking -- you could have done something similar in terms of battlefield control with someone ranked in Disable Device and Craft (Traps), or with a stealth sniper in your party, or even brute strength to remove potential cover and concealment.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 27, 2015, 05:07:48 pm »

A gallon is about 8 pounds though, and the spell creates 2 gallons/level.  You can't create it in a creature, but inside a receptacle or mid air is specifically allowed.
Huh, I assumed PF would nerf the amount when making it a free cantrip.  Nope.

One thing I regret never trying is having our party's barbarian grapple a vampire on a staircase, then casting create water at the top of the staircase for three rounds.  I guess it would use its gaseous form supernatural ability (no AoO or concentration check).  I'd argue it'd be immobilized and fall on the water since vampires can't cross running water, only be carried over in a boat or coffin.

Gaseous forms can't go under water, so I guess it'd...  just slide down the stairway unharmed?  Or maybe be stuck in place?  Either way, good opportunity to kill it.  DR 10/magic?  Please.  Plus its armor stops working, and it probably can't dodge.  Can't even use any more supernatural abilities.

Maybe it's good I didn't subject my GM and party to this though :P

Fakedit: somewhat ninja'd
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: July 27, 2015, 05:18:49 pm »

Looking at a list of zero level spells, I can't say that any jump right out at me as being overpowered or otherwise unbalanced. Though I haven't read them all yet.

One thing I find confusing is that Ghost Sound says that it can be used to enhance a Silent Image, but neither spell mentions how that works.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: July 27, 2015, 05:28:51 pm »

I think it's fairly self explanatory.

-> The image was silent
-> The image now makes sound.

As to what effect it has on rolls or whatever, I guess that's up to the DM.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: July 27, 2015, 05:31:11 pm »

Flat out the most overpowered cantrip in Pathfinder is Detect Magic.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: July 27, 2015, 05:37:23 pm »

It's stupid to have Detect Magic on a cantrip anyway, or really any sort of detection.

"DM, if I am not otherwise incapable of doing so, assume that I am casting -detection spell here- every 6 seconds."
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: July 27, 2015, 05:39:47 pm »

Some detection spells I could see...

Heck even Detect Magic could have been balanced if it just gives a vague sense of there being magic in the room or that something is magical here. So the chest COULD have a magic trap, or it could have a magic item inside.

But it specifically is like a identify spell. So no, they will know exactly what is magical, what it does, at all times.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: July 27, 2015, 05:50:06 pm »

They know what is magical, but they must make a knowledge arcana check to tell what school of magic its aura is, and must still make a spellcraft check to determine what it is it does.

I've just read it. I always thought it just gave vague auras unless you specifically studied one aura for a few rounds. Nope. First round it is up, it shows vague auras, assuming there are any around. Next round you know how many auras there are and the power of the most potent aura. The next round, and last effect, is to pinpoint the strength and location of every aura.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: July 27, 2015, 05:52:34 pm »

The spellcraft test is very lenient, even level 1s have good chances to identify even major magical items... and even if they don't, the rules don't say you can't attempt it again or take 10.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 27, 2015, 05:59:26 pm »

Well, I just checked the spellcraft page (PF, right?)  They have to study an area for three rounds before to pinpoint the location and strength of each aura...  Then it takes three rounds and "thorough examination" of an object to attempt the spellcraft check to identify it.  It has to be in line of sight, too.

So after three rounds they could probably tell that the chest's latch is magic, or that there's a magic aura inside it.  They'd have a very rough idea about the power level (only four states) and I think get a free Knowledge Arcana to determine the spell schools involved.  So yeah, they could probably tell that the chest was trapped (unless magic was used that confounds level 0 divination).  They couldn't identify the contents without opening it though, and it could be that that aura inside is itself a trap.

Also every round they cast it is costing a standard action, so they move at at least half speed.  They can keep concentrating for two more rounds, but (I'd say) only on the same area to get more information.

And the first round of Detect Magic only tells you one thing...  "Are there magic auras around?".  The number and highest power only come in round 2.  So a wizard in a party with any magic enchantments or items is going to have only one reason to do this: detecting antimagic fields.  Might as well cast a light spell and move at full speed.

Fakedit: ... It's 15+creator's caster level.  That's reasonable but hardly trivial.  Also, you can only try one per day.  Pathfinder, right?  Taking 10, ehhh...  It specifically says it takes 3 rounds, but I might allow that.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 27, 2015, 06:07:41 pm »

DC 15 + Spell Level falls off after a couple levels. Even quicker if others are able to aid, or if there is a character who has chosen to specialize in either of those skills.

Crafters would be all about passing their Spellcraft checks, for example. I know that if given enough preparation time and getting to take a 10, my level 8 oracle can pass a DC 40 Spellcraft check. I'm not sure how good that is though, as I have not looked up any optimized or min-maxed builds for Spellcraft.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: July 27, 2015, 06:31:46 pm »

I think warlocks get detect magic as an at will spell in 5e as an invocation? I may be wrong on that...

And thats something I hate about pathfinder: diplomacy checks and most magic spells are broken, to the point my friend told me he can convince my guy, regardless of what his save was, because he had this stupidly high diplomacy bonus, of stripping naked and giving him all his stuff.

He also made the entire dungeon full of traps no longer fun because of detect magic since he knew every single room and literally sat around the entire time because half of the rooms sounded bad to him ON TOP OF HIM LOCKING EVERYONE IN THE PARTY IN A ROOM, NEVER TO ESCAPE WHEN THE LAST ROOM WAS COMPLETED. The DM was so mad, that he actually rigged the sphinx encounter to be against him and he only succeeded because he rolled a nat 20 on an intelligence check (which I call bullshit on) and he was only allowed to do it because he kept saying his character is too smart to NOT know the answer (and his int is his second lowest stat next to str because he's a kid and a charisma based caster).

Seriously, this guy says pathfinder is the best because he breaks every game he plays, making it no longer fun anymore. He refuses to play any other edition and he loses it when in my backstory I said that my brother had wounds that didn't get healed properly and he said magic answered everything, and he even studied my backstory and pretty much told me its all wrong because magic and pathfinder gods smite anyone who follows any gods that aren't actually in the pathfinder pantheon (so I can't have my backstory of my family being the last worshipers of an old pantheon of gods because my family would've been smote on the day they decided to worship anyone who isnt in the pantheon).

Throw in the fact he does everything to nerf my character because I don't play it the way he wants it, and you have that one guy who you wish wasn't there... Seriously, when I said I was making a two weapon ranger, he said I'm an idiot for not being a two handed ranger. Throw in he went up to the DM who had no problem with my wolf having his actual hit dice rolled and got mad that my wolf wasn't forced to have 9hp at second level. Seriously, this is just me he does it to, the party bard is ok, the wizard is ok, the rogue is ok but the ranger gets yelled at all the fricking time. When I made a ranger the way he wanted it as my character's brother, he still wasn't happy because I took a raven instead of a Roc as my animal companion (I picked it because I didn't know you could take a Roc and it suited his character). Seriously, I can't even have a good storyline for my character without him getting pissed at me.
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 27, 2015, 06:47:07 pm »

Well Diplomacy has two major weaknesses
1) The target needs to listen to you
2) The target is only more friendly towards you

Diplomacy as a Jedi Mindtrick is like Free parking rule in Monopoly... it is a house rule so prevalent that people will swear it is in the actual rulebooks.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 623