Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 848972 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #450 on: July 19, 2015, 07:45:51 pm »

I had him + an enemy party but the party insta killed him in his spell faster form by pushing him into lava. The enemy party died in two turns.

He was a hard hitter, but he only got to attack once. And it was a 4d12+4 attack, and I crit on someone who I really wanted to leave because he never posted and never bothered to do anything unless I texted/called him to post

The thing was why he didn't have any more followers was because the storyline went that he is controlling the shadows that kept his followers alive and in his power. He drained their power into his shadow colossus form to grow stronger and he gained max HP because he was building a new body and getting stronger as his body grew to a 5x5 monster that could move though enemies and damage them because he phased through them with a body made up of small creatures that slashed at you when he phased through.

He had only basic Melee attacks after that daily, but he could strike twice. And they were 2d6+8 attacks that were inaccurate. He also had a second action point he didn't use
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 07:50:18 pm by highmax28 »
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 19, 2015, 07:46:42 pm »

Goodness I really need to get over my nervousness problem... but I think I did alright this session all things considered, under prepared, sleep deprived, and hazy.

But in today's session I spelled a NPCs name differently every single time. Herbert Herburt Huburt Hobert Hurkber... it just kept going.

I needed to roll with the punches a little, but honestly I didn't want to add too much details to things. Sometimes a rock is just a rock even if a giant threw it.

The Pathfinder one had problems mostly because I was disheartened from the last session being ended early because all my encounters would have rocked the group and I dislike reaching for monsters during a session.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 07:48:55 pm by Neonivek »

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 19, 2015, 07:54:58 pm »

It was hilariously fun, though 'roll with the punches' makes me feel bad, no punches were intended merely sillyness.

Regardless today I learned that cantrips in dnd 5e are hilariously overpowered, and that asking someone else to roll a character for you results in a very strange roleplay existance that I realized halfway through I had no real idea what the race I was playing was.

Thought svirfneblin were evil cannibal gnomes and played as an eccentric wizard one, learned after I was already in the swing of being a midget psychopath with magic that my thoughts on their race were not correct.  Meh
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 07:57:41 pm by kilakan »
Nom nom nom

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 20, 2015, 12:45:13 am »

Eeh. 5e cantrips aren't so much OP as "where they bloody well should have been," especially with the usual higher level caster shenanigans locked down.

I mean, Fire Bolt is a bit good, but it's fundamentally similar to plinking with a handxbow, except that it feels more magical. At-will Light, Prestidigitation, Mage Hand, &c. should have been in a long time ago. At least the old version of Minor Illusion got nerfed, because that was pretty borked.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 20, 2015, 02:08:21 am »

The utility cantrips might be improved, but the combat cantrips are definitely OP. Damage like the best one-handed martial weapons, longer reach than every ranged weapon except longbows, elemental damage, no ammunition, improves in damage dice faster than a Fighter gets more attacks, can't be disarmed, and so forth. A better balanced combat cantrip would only do d4 or d6 damage or require the carter to get into the thick of battle to cast it. d10 damage at longer range than a crossbow is high enough to be spell worthy.
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 20, 2015, 02:27:02 am »

Its major weakness is that for the most part that d10 is all it is going to get unless the class gets something that allows them to apply more damage to it.

Whereas anyone who uses a dex score can turn that crossbow into a damage machine.

Mind you Crossbows are hit pretty hard with the "not very useful" stick... but I guess given their real life counterpart that makes sense. They are meant for low level characters until they graduate to the bow.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 20, 2015, 02:29:46 am »

The funny thing is taking 2 levels in Warlock with a character that has has high charisma anyway and getting their Agonizing Blast Invocation (+ the other you get which can be anything you feel like.)

Eldritch Blast is a cantrip with a range of 120 FT (or 24 squares) and does 1d10 force damage. Over the levels it improves by adding in more attacks per cast (it shoots off 4 beams in the end, each one can target a different enemy or the same one, separate attack rolls. Each hit adds that modifier.)

The hilarious thing is that, as far as I am aware, cantrips improve with character level, not class level.

So, 4d10 + 4X (where X is your charisma modifier) damage, if you manage to hit all of them. (Since it's multiple attacks it makes them weaker on a crit but more consistent.)

Quite excellent on a character that otherwise has no good ranged options (and a bit unfortunate for the warlock since it appears Eldritch Blast was meant to be their 'thing', and you get access to its full power with just two levels.) Ultimately it's player choice as to what you'd prefer, but... The choice is there. (I know I'd consider taking it if I was a monk, even without the modifier the ranged capability is quite nice. If you're a shadow monk, also picking up the super darkvision is extremely useful as well as thematic.)

Honestly, it's almost like they intended the Warlock to be something people dabbled in, since they have some good utility stuff at level 2. (Monk's level 19 and 20 are terrible anyway.)

And yeah, some of the utility cantrips need improvement. Some like Mending I can really only ever see being useful in a campaign where there's a large focus on equipment wear and tear, and even then...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 02:31:42 am by UXLZ »
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 20, 2015, 02:37:43 am »

The hilarious thing is that, as far as I am aware, cantrips improve with character level, not class level.

They did this mostly to improve multiclassing, especially with caster classes involved. There are rules on how spellcasting changes of you are multiclassing.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 20, 2015, 02:47:50 am »

Its major weakness is that for the most part that d10 is all it is going to get unless the class gets something that allows them to apply more damage to it.

Whereas anyone who uses a dex score can turn that crossbow into a damage machine.
This, pretty much. The only build that improves it beyond 1d10 direct damage is going to have much better options for blasting. If you're in it for optimizing and want a cheap ranged attack UXLZ already underlined the typical method.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Love, scriver~

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: July 20, 2015, 02:45:22 pm »

So in my current campaign the third major 'event' has occurred, and my players failed to pick up on it, so I actually had to inform them that there was more going on than they were realizing (I'd have thought that the blatant 'apocalypse prophecy' that has popped up several times would have been more important to them, live and learn.)  Other than that things are going well, the major stumbling block to the team 'leader' courting the queen is about to be removed, the twitty thief has realized there is more to life than petty theft and is now in position to actually facilitate some important story stuff, and the paladin hasn't had any real problems getting into his role in all of this, but he hasn't yet found out what his real purpose is.  All told things are moving towards the meat of the content I've got, we'll see how long things stay on course, or if they decide to go off on some random tangent, either way things are in motion that cannot be stopped.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: July 20, 2015, 03:36:01 pm »

Pathfinder game had my party dealing with catfolk that are stereotypical Italian mobsters. I also realized looking like a Viking makes me stick out like a sore thumb amongst a lot of people wearing suits.

Also what is a Poe like? (Spelled police) like guards apparently but get paid to do sh%#, as the officer told me.

I also apparently slashed a high end mobster with flametongue and my sunblade. And proceeded to get shot six times
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: July 21, 2015, 06:57:07 am »

So in my current campaign the third major 'event' has occurred, and my players failed to pick up on it, so I actually had to inform them that there was more going on than they were realizing (I'd have thought that the blatant 'apocalypse prophecy' that has popped up several times would have been more important to them, live and learn.)  Other than that things are going well, the major stumbling block to the team 'leader' courting the queen is about to be removed, the twitty thief has realized there is more to life than petty theft and is now in position to actually facilitate some important story stuff, and the paladin hasn't had any real problems getting into his role in all of this, but he hasn't yet found out what his real purpose is.  All told things are moving towards the meat of the content I've got, we'll see how long things stay on course, or if they decide to go off on some random tangent, either way things are in motion that cannot be stopped.

Do you ever host games online NFO? 'Cause they definitely sound like ones I'd be interested in joining. = \
The circle is complete.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: July 21, 2015, 09:50:26 am »

Unfortunately no, I'm leery of running a game over the network.  I really like to have my players right at the table, where the focus is nice and tight and the action is front-stage.  I might consider it in the future sometime tho'.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: July 21, 2015, 09:54:35 am »

If we're speaking play-by-post, it allows for vastly superior role-playing, but can take a fair amount of time. However, rather than having burst sessions every week or so, it allows for stuff to happen as a slow trickle (thus also giving the DM more capability for on-the-fly planning and creativity, since it's not actually "on-the-fly.")
Characters can have portraits as well, I guess, which is nice.

Though, yeah, online stuff probably should have more of a focus on story and roleplaying rather than battles, since they can be... Quite long.

The circle is complete.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 623