Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845620 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #870 on: September 25, 2015, 12:01:30 pm »

Damage seems a bit high, why not go for 3D4?
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: September 25, 2015, 02:07:01 pm »

Their used by Benevolent Barry's "Bashful" Bodyguard and Bankguards. It's to deter a chaotic-stupid character from doing anything too stupid.

Also, I'm assuming that I'm addicted to alliterations.

Generous Jenny's General Store
Sultan Sully's Sullen Cemetary
Sam Smith's Smithy
Bearded Bard's Bar
Ambassador Anthracite
Runner Rodney Rodgers
Captain Carl Cuxi
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 02:17:49 pm by tonnot98 »
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: September 25, 2015, 06:28:31 pm »

Their used by Benevolent Barry's "Bashful" Bodyguard and Bankguards. It's to deter a chaotic-stupid character from doing anything too stupid.
There's nothing in any world that will do that. I'm simply saying that stupid, uh... finds a way.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: September 26, 2015, 01:06:40 am »

The saying goes, 'Only death cures stupidity', so at my table player receive one warning that what they are doing is incredibly stupid, then the dice kill them.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: September 26, 2015, 03:55:32 am »

The saying goes, 'Only death cures stupidity', so at my table player receive one warning that what they are doing is incredibly stupid, then the dice kill them.

I've ignored DM warnings before thinking they were advice.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: September 26, 2015, 12:56:00 pm »

I'm sure, but then the 'cure' happens, and people start paying attention.  I've only actually had to kill three characters like this, maybe I'm lucky, but generally the threat of irrevocable punishment seems to put players in the right mindset.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: September 26, 2015, 03:56:39 pm »

Also, I'm assuming that I'm addicted to alliterations.

Generous Jenny's General Store
Sultan Sully's Sullen Cemetary
Sam Smith's Smithy
Bearded Bard's Bar
Ambassador Anthracite
Runner Rodney Rodgers
Captain Carl Cuxi

Don't give them good weapons.  Give them good stats and favorable circumstances.  Signature equipment can have strong symbolic value, even if it doesn't outperform other equipment.  In this case, maybe it indicates the quality of the guards, and serves as a component of a uniform.

If they need to have a superior signature weapon, make it something that has unusual prerequisites in order to be useful.  Make sure it's not something that is tempting to sell, unless you want to make that a plot point, such as having a rival offering a bounty on them.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: September 26, 2015, 04:10:06 pm »

The prime rule to remember about designing NPCs, enemies, &c. (and this applies to video games, mods, &c. as well as tabletop) is that gear can be looted while stats, knowledge, and connections can't.

I'm sure, but then the 'cure' happens, and people start paying attention.  I've only actually had to kill three characters like this, maybe I'm lucky, but generally the threat of irrevocable punishment seems to put players in the right mindset.
It's probably related to the quality of the DM and the density of the idiot -- I recall playing with one guy who would happily create character after character to do the same stupid things.

3. Run Resize Enable

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: September 26, 2015, 04:36:21 pm »

Dude I'm like right here
Love, scriver~

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: September 26, 2015, 05:15:59 pm »

It was a meatspace campaign.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: September 26, 2015, 08:49:59 pm »

What Do You Mean He Wasn't A Magus!?

So I thought that one person was playing a Magus/Boltace and doing the whole ranged/magic combat mix style of play. He did magic, there were spells cast, and he had a familiar.

Except he was a level three Warrior. An NPC with an NPC class. He was a hireling. The fox "familiar" was actually his employer; a Kitsune Sorceress. Related note: Hirelings can be stupid cheap, even at early game play.

The player revealed this because he was annoyed that no-one was asking about why his "character"'s familiar had two tails, or how he was able to shoot a crossbow and cast spells. I never played a Magus, the Hell would I know about how Spell Combat works?

Nothing much else interesting happened in this session. Finished wiping out the tower, get thanked by the townsfolk because the regency was actually incredibly oppressive. Stibbins smashed things. Things included doors and statues and other things we couldn't tear from the walls and call "loot", or was otherwise worthless. To be fair, it is somewhat the fault of the building owner for wanting everything made of ice. Stibbins is also in the process of beginning to build himself a revolver to replace his rusty pistol that he started with, which will be pretty nasty.

This Adventure Path is an interesting one. And we have only just finished the first book. Out of six. Though I already know more than I should about this series of books. It gets ridiculous later.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 08:53:01 pm by BlackFlyme »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: September 26, 2015, 10:08:34 pm »

I am still sad that I am a completely failure as a GM because I desperately want to still GM but I have absolutely no right to.

I think I am just going to create a play by post game of some sort. It is the only way I think I can reasonably GM without messing everything up down the line.

Yet I still have such a passion to do it. I love every aspect of it, but I always end up crushed by the weight of it all or fall into helpless procrastination.

It is like one of the things I want to do most of all, yet I can never manage to keep it up.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 10:13:11 pm by Neonivek »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: September 27, 2015, 03:26:32 am »

Don't be too hard on yourself Neo, keeping up with the demands of a regular campaign can be extremely tiring for even experienced DMs, hell I'm struggling a bit right now (tho' my group has a bit to do with that, our schedules keep getting screwed up.)

You can't become a good DM until you've gained some experience, it takes years.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: September 27, 2015, 05:41:45 am »

to be fair, speaking as a player, you weren't nearly as bad as you tell.

also keep in mind this: you know how players will always miss that plot hook to the excellently crafted quest line, or how they miss all the obvious clues to solve the mystery or all the thousand examples of them not seeing the thing you carefully prepared?
well, it applies to the bad things too. when you think you wrote yourself in a plot corner or made some mistake here or there, chances are players will still be completely oblivious. Just continue as if nothing happened and they will be happy all the same.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: September 27, 2015, 09:54:50 am »

I started DMing for my brother as a solo-campaign earlier this week, just to get into the mix of things. Sadly I won't be able to host anyone else besides one friend that doesn't want to make a character.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 623