Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 849177 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #1845 on: March 08, 2016, 03:43:07 pm »

Consider protection from Evil stuff, that is as much as I can think of so far... Other than literally making yourself a machine, I don't think there is a way to do it.

If you're a pyrokineticist, consider doing the plane of fire quest to get the ability to break enchantment on yourself or others
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: March 08, 2016, 03:48:16 pm »

Purging Flame is from a splatbook, so it is very likely not allowed. Plus we don't have the downtime to travel a continent away to complete a quest for/give a gift to/impress a volcano spirit.

I asked another player what he thought about slotted slotless magic items. He said that punching a hole through an item to turn it into an amulet would destroy it. I don't think he understands how it works.

He also asked me to change to a Skald/Kineticist. Don't know why. Thinks I should become a necromancer. In Wrath of the Righteous. May as well carry a big sign that says "Smite Me", because various Good Gods watch you closely in that campaign, and having a horde of undead will not earn their favour in the slightest. I don't think Skalds even get Create Undead.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: March 08, 2016, 05:00:51 pm »

Uhhh... Maybe consider getting a buttload of contingency scrolls armed with break enchantment or similar on them. Its sets a trigger condition for the break enchantment spell to go off when you get hit with a mind control spell. I have it set on my wizard to cast dimension door when he drops below 40% hp to get to the farthest distance away from the battlefield.

Since it IS a scroll, and I know that dispel magic requires a higher caster level, this is gonna be VERY expensive. But so far, it seems to be the only way to deal with that.

The only thing stopping you is finding a wizard or sorcerer that can cast it and are high enough level to make them effective

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: March 08, 2016, 05:34:50 pm »

Too low a level for contingency at the moment. The DM is also adamant on not allowing downtime and removing several rest periods from the adventure, to make it harder. We're lucky he let us stop to sell loot. We literally only got the first chance now, and we just finished the second book in the adventure.

We have a paladin and an oracle, but they have to get me first, because I have already one-shot them both. I'm more than capable of doing it again, if forced to.

The closest item I've seen is the Iron Circlet of Guarded Souls, which protects from soul effects, like Magic Jar, but a Dominate would still wreck me.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 05:40:23 pm by BlackFlyme »

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: March 08, 2016, 06:07:57 pm »

This is a problem... I know cloak of resistance is ALWAYS handy, but still, with a +12 will save, that doesn't help against a caster...

Like a Lich :|

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: March 08, 2016, 06:15:04 pm »

Or the mythic shadow demon that played me like a puppet. Normal shadow demons have a DC 19 for their Magic Jar. This one has a higher Charisma, the Ability Focus feat for their SLAs, plus whatever the DM did to alter it. And it's still alive! He gave it a quickened teleport, and it fled the second it was booted out my half-dead ass.

This DM doesnt like fights that arent always near a TPK. There's a half-fiend chimera you are supposed fight at one point. He replaced it with a mythic adult red dragon. We were level 7. The paladin was the only one that could hurt it, and still had a terrible time actually getting a hit in.

Thankfully, a cloak is very cheap, and most of us have taken the legendary item mythic ability, so we can actually get item bonuses. He let us sell loot, but not actually buy anything. But you can still upgrade a legendary item with just gold.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 06:20:55 pm by BlackFlyme »

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: March 08, 2016, 07:04:34 pm »

Or the mythic shadow demon that played me like a puppet. Normal shadow demons have a DC 19 for their Magic Jar. This one has a higher Charisma, the Ability Focus feat for their SLAs, plus whatever the DM did to alter it. And it's still alive! He gave it a quickened teleport, and it fled the second it was booted out my half-dead ass.

This DM doesnt like fights that arent always near a TPK. There's a half-fiend chimera you are supposed fight at one point. He replaced it with a mythic adult red dragon. We were level 7. The paladin was the only one that could hurt it, and still had a terrible time actually getting a hit in.

Thankfully, a cloak is very cheap, and most of us have taken the legendary item mythic ability, so we can actually get item bonuses. He let us sell loot, but not actually buy anything. But you can still upgrade a legendary item with just gold.
If you had a cleric/wizard, you could just enchant your stuff.

Also, your DM sounds like my rules lawyer, except he expects you to insta-kill everyone. So far, I'm the only one able to do so.

I'm also planning on talking to the DM about my character finding out about his dead family and becoming the final boss as he steals the artifacts we are trying to recover, which is said to ascend people into godhood, but make you insane. Because I'm already insane with having Kroznov in my head, there really can't be much worse than that.

It would also be the biggest dick slap to the rules lawyer since he's been shitting on all my characters because my first character, my ranger, worshipped Norse gods when it was confirmed that when the pathfinder pantheon came out, the old gods, norse, celtic, etc., all were ousted or killed. And the rules lawyer kept saying that the gods should have smote me and my family since they started worshipping them. Got to the point he got his girlfriend to shit on me and the GM said I can do it, but know that they aren't present in his world. Rules Lawyer kept bitching and complaining whenever my ranger did ANYTHING too...

So having a pyrokineticist become a god? It would be disgusting...

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: March 08, 2016, 07:07:06 pm »

So having a pyrokineticist become a god *and then kill [the rule lawyer's character] with an insanely powerful blast before taking on the party? It would be disgusting...
Black lives matter.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: March 08, 2016, 07:25:11 pm »

Bitching about deities is so pointless. Pathfinder deities don't care. Rahadoum is a militant atheist Imperium of Man styled nation. Razmir worships Razmir, a powerful Sorcerer who is definitely not a deity. People worship plenty of dead deities still. The Egyptian deities are actually just powerful aliens in Pathfinder lore. Divine classes are explicitly allowed to follow whatever they want to. Any schmuck is allowed to attempt the Trials of the Starstone to become a deity. In fact, plenty of assholes have succeeded. One did it on a bet. Drunk.

The gods don't care.

Salt salt salt salt some assholes just want to shit on other people's fun and call it chocolate frosting.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: March 08, 2016, 07:29:39 pm »

This world ignores the starstone legend due to plot reasons. The rules lawyer brought it up in character and the DM called him out, saying that his character would never know about that because they cannot be done on the world we are in

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: March 08, 2016, 09:07:23 pm »

Been more than a few hours since I text my DM. Still no answer.

Time to make my legendary bonded item a Mask of Everything.

I have plenty of splatbooks that I'd be more than willing to share, but people don't care. Thinks something is OP, or weird, just plain doesn't like it for no real reason, and is too lazy to look into it, so only allows Core books, and cherry picks what parts of core books they want to use.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: March 09, 2016, 04:25:00 am »

Last week in Pathfinder:

DM: You've successfully reached the bottom of the ocean. You see an underwater mountain dotted with glowing coral. Half a wrecked ship appears to be sitting against the side.

Me: I swim over towards the ship.

DM: You peer through one of the portholes. Most of the ship is filled with rubble, but the captain's quarters appear to be mostly clear, though home to several large growths of razor sharp coral. You also see a chest inside this room.

Me: I take 20 on my Perception check to peer through the porthole.

Rogue: I Shadowjump inside!

Me: ...

DM: Roll a Will save.

Rogue: Uh, 7?

DM: Right, we'll be going by round now. First round, Wizard peers through the porthole, Rogue steps through the shadows inside the room. [Dice roll] Nothing else happens.

Me: Okay, forget taking 20. I ask Fighter to break into the room instead and Rogue to search the chest for traps.

Fighter: I swing my Earth Breaker into the wood.

Rogue: I search for traps.

DM: Second round. Fighter breaks into the captain's quarters. [Dice roll] Rogue finds no traps on the chest. It is, however, locked.

Me: I ask Rogue to unlock the chest as I enter the room.

Rogue: I attempt to unlock the chest.

Fighter: I open the chest.

DM: Third round. [Dice roll] The chest is easily unlocked. Inside is a large pile of gems of varying qualities.

Me: I scoop up as many gems as I can and put them in my pack.

Fighter: I help.

Rogue: I use Sleight of Hand to pocket a few for myself!

DM: Fourth round. [Dice roll] Wizard manages to spot Rogue pocketing the gems. You successfully gather half of the chest's contents. [Note handed to Rogue]

Me: I grab more gems and mention that I'll need to appraise the ones Rogue took later.

Fighter: I grab more gems too.

Rogue: I stick my tongue out at Wizard and make farting noises.

DM: Fifth round. [Dice roll] You've gathered all of the gems from the chest. [Note handed to Rogue]

Me: I leave the ship.

Fighter: I search the bottom of the chest to check for secret compartments.

Rogue: I attack Fighter! [Dice roll] Two hits vs. flat-footed AC, sneak attack on both... 50ish damage!

DM: Sixth round. Good hits. Fighter is bleeding heavily in the water after being stabbed in the back twice. How do you respond?

Me: I stare in utter horror and shout at Rogue to explain himself.

Fighter: I take it personally and hit him with my Earth Breaker. [Dice roll]

Rogue: ...uh, is that a natural 20?

Fighter: Yep. [Dice roll] Does 30ish confirm?

Rogue: Um... yeah.

Fighter: [Dice roll] Okay, you take 100 damage.

Rogue: ...

DM: Rogue's head is transformed into chunky salsa.

tl;dr: Rogue tripped Confusion trap, decided to try to use it as an excuse to rob the party, karma served him poetic justice.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: March 09, 2016, 10:37:00 am »

Oh wow... That was interesting

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: March 09, 2016, 10:54:18 am »

Fun.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: March 11, 2016, 04:16:24 pm »

Figured I may as well share the blog post teasing the upcoming Ultimate Intrigue book for Pathfinder.

The Vigilante seems really silly. Ten whole pages of archetypes in that book, apparently. Including one for being the Hulk, and one for being an Anime Magical Girl, complete with flashy transformation sequence, music included.

Ah well. At least they are getting a bit more out there with archetypes, with all the benefits and negatives that may entail. Finally loosening their views on alignment-restricted classes, with the new Gray Paladin, which must be within one step of Lawful Good, and the Tyrant Antipaladin, which is Lawful Evil.

And I can't help but get the feeling that the Base Summoner isn't going to ever get anything new, since the Unchained Summoner has received much more love since it came out. U-Summoner even has specific archetypes the Base one doesn't have access to. Much more flavourful, as well, with its eidolon subtypes.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 04:18:05 pm by BlackFlyme »
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 623