Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 848904 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #1965 on: March 27, 2016, 03:02:36 pm »

It just grates with me. Starting with a budget and buying equipment just seems a lot cleaner and achieves the flexibility they're trying to get at without the weird interactions they get by trying to make it streamlined. Fundamentally, my issue is that by making it more accessible, they've taken the depth out, unless there is a 3.5 esque starting set up rule somewhere.
Try the first page of the equipment section. There's a "starting wealth by class" table, which can be used instead.

Huh. My bad, then. Thanks.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: March 30, 2016, 08:13:13 pm »

Reading the new Ultimate Intrigue book for Pathfinder. There are rules for Verbal Duels.

You can literally Rap Battle someone.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: March 30, 2016, 08:20:37 pm »

or kill them with kindness
Black lives matter.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: March 30, 2016, 09:20:20 pm »

Reading the new Ultimate Intrigue book for Pathfinder. There are rules for Verbal Duels.

You can literally Rap Battle someone.
Thats awesome!

Had another session today. It was a short one since the DM had stuff to do. We ended up finishing up some business in the first town and during a night of rest, two people (neither one of them me or my familiar who's supposed to be keeping watch) and they wake me up to find the source of the noise. Since I fumbled my perception roll, I played the whole thing off as they were crazy and went around saying "look, its nothing". I sent my raven to go find the source of the noise who found a guy dragging his leg and moving towards the inn we were staying at. I went outside after describing him, and by now, the bard is terrified and the cleric is putting on his armor, so I keep telling them its nothing, only to walk outside and see the figure and, after another perception check, its the dead guy who the bard had to look for in case he died. This lead to the bard telling me, and me checking if its hostile by putting an illusion of the bard screaming next to the now undead guy, and he swung at my illusion. The bard tried over and over to persuade him to stop, slowly freaking out more and more, and then he draws this magical sword that, despite taking the time to study it and a couple of arcana checks, gave me minimal information. The zombie starts to look at the sword and looks drawn to it, slowly shambling towards him, causing him to panic more and the cleric tries to get outside not even fully armored.

Carver doesn't freak out. Carver needs to keep his resolve if he is to be anything like his teacher. So he casts Chromatic orb and burns a hole straight through the guy as he crits him with it dealing radiant damage and defeating the zombie. The bard freaks out, knowing his new lady friend (the one who was looking for this guy who we now killed a second time) is not going to be happy with this. The cleric suggests we burn the body, but I'm out of spells, no one has spark and no one has a tinderbox. So we had to go inside and say we found a zombie and to prevent it from returning, we need a soruce of fire. So he hands the guy a torch and a tinderbox and, without hesitation or worry, just says "do what you gotta do". So we burn the body in the street, no one bats an eye, and we rest up for the rest of the night.

We prepare ourselves to leave, and the woman comes in with a big smile on her face, saying she saw her friend the night before and Dragg the bard has a hard time trying to tell her the news. Wilneas the cleric tries too and fails, and so they try to play it off that he's alive. Carver, not happy with the happy lies, walks up to the lady, sits at her table, puts his hands together like a negotiator and says "Listen, my lady. I'm going to be fully honest with you. We found your friend dead. We buried him right outside the cave we found him. He showed up last night outside the tavern as a zombie." To which the cleric interrupts and says we killed him and burned him... Quite enthusiastically I might add. She denies it, and Carver just gets up, says good day to her and walks off as Dragg and Wilneas try to comfort her and she storms off crying.

So we head out after that and down the road on the first day, we see smoke from a campfire and hear someone grunting while posing. The cleric, for once, succeeds in sneaking and when the bard hears them, he proceeds to shout out loud "DAMN IT, ITS THEM!" and they all get up after I show up, facepalming and see the guys from before and point to the cleric who say HE'S Wally now. Carver facepalms again and tells them they got the wrong guy again. The group isn't prepared for us this time and isn't carrying any armor as they were just resting for the day. I try to convince him before casting spells and the guy, again, ignores our pleas. I try to cast a spell stealthily since I'm behind some bushes and the man shouts out loud "AHA! YOUR MAGIC WILL NOT WORK ON ME THIS TIME!" and I cast sleep on him, which causes him to immediately pass out after that. I rolled a 6 total on an intimidate check as Carver shouts "I HAVE DEFEATED YOUR LEADER! SURRENDER!" and they immediately do in their confusion. Dragg then offers them money to get them to leave us alone, and they demand 500 gold. Dragg rolls 22 on intimidate and says "make it 5 gold" and they freak out and take the money and run, dragging their leader with them. Another successful dodge of this group.

So we camp, continue and on the second night, the bird-watch (as I call him as a joke since Carver hates his familiar and due to story reasons, his raven keeps coming back no matter how many times he summons and dismisses it) awakens everyone and we have more zombies chasing us. I cast an illusion and tell the cleric and the bard to let the zombies get close to it and swing at it, as it shows a screaming version of the bard (and since I'm an illusion wizard, I can use it with sound, which means it DOES scream). What happens? The bard and the cleric move up, and they get attacked by the zombies. Since I couldn't do what I wanted on my first turn (i used the illusion earlier to scare them away/lure them out, my turn was a readied burning hands) because my teammates got swarmed by undead, I had to use magic missile to soften the enemy up. The goblin lackey uses his bow and takes one out, but the bard goes down and the cleric drops to 7/14. I cast chromatic orb and decimate the zombie with an almost max damage radiant attack, which killed him and he gave a face of relief. Cleric drops down to 2hp trying to spare the dying on the bard, and I crush the last zombie too with another orb.

We ended there because next session is going to be a lot of scattered crap, mostly buying stuff, side jobs, and a few other things before we finally go to where Carver has been trying to get to since he made landfall: Brumwax Manor.

Overall, good session. Little more serious but still some humor thrown in. I felt like a dick, but I felt good that I'm playing my character like he's supposed to be (plus, I'm not OVERLY mean to people).
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: March 31, 2016, 11:12:08 am »

We bought our haven this session, a nice condo.  In time we can expand its size and security ratings, somehow...  Which we imagine will look something like this:
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/mspaintadventures/images/3/34/JohnHouse.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20091231172417

Also I kinda submitted testimony against what I think might be an ancient gangrel, which is related to us finding a new haven.  Well and our hotel room was blown up by an inept but very devoted vampire hunter.  (Due to some hilariously bad rolls, we almost didn't hear the obvious beeping of his corpse)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1970 on: March 31, 2016, 01:01:18 pm »

'I'm gonna get mauled by a bear!'
    - Gary Graver, party arcane trickster.

Amazingly, he proceeded to pass his acrobatics check and not get mauled by a bear.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: March 31, 2016, 03:06:42 pm »

Amazingly, he proceeded to pass his acrobatics check and not get mauled by a bear.
He's probably very happy about that

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: March 31, 2016, 06:19:47 pm »

Okay maybe the vampire hunter deserves more than "inept".  He was young, brave, and actually had a decent plan.  He just got unlucky.

He probably heard about our Gangrel's accidental frenzy -  She literally tore apart four armed punks and fled into the sewers, leading a trail of blood and sewage straight to a certain hotel room.  A crack team of vampires arrived within minutes and mindwiped all the witnesses...  But some must have escaped to tell about it.

So he finds the room and sneaks in during the night, planning to ambush her when she returned to sleep.  He had a double barreled shotgun, holy water, and a magic knife with sun-powers.  It was a pretty good plan.

Problem is, we were half-expecting to be ambushed from the room...  By an ancient vampire.  We really shouldn't have gone back at all, but our socialite con-artist wanted to get her clothes and disguise equipment.  And the ancient vampire didn't know her, just the gangrel and my sneakthief, so...  It was a bad plan but we weren't thinking clearly.  Point is, she didn't open the door.  She had some movers open it. 

The vampire hunter killed both the movers with one double-barrel blast, which alerted the gangrel and me in the lobby.  For some insane reason we decided to run upstairs to assist :P  Well, my character can pretty reliably turn invisible even to other vampires sooo...

Screaming some righteous latin, the guy chased our socialite down the hallway and threw some holy water.  It hurt a lot.  She's screaming in terror and firing a little personal defense pistol, he doesn't seem to even notice getting shot.  Apparently they can enter a berserker state!  He catches her at the stairwell and gets her good with this strange knife that seemed to glow like a sunrise.  It burnt away a chunk of her arm where it touched.

So yeah, he almost made it.  If she had opened the door herself, or if he'd been facing just one vampire instead of three, he might have won...

Instead, this giant one-armed woman tackles him back into the hallway and tears him to pieces.  (His actual target, ironically.  The vampire Prince took her arm as punishment for the earlier rampage, so she was delighted to find a "justified" kill to let off steam).  Trenchcoat McFedora (my Mekhet) catches up, looks for witnesses, and is about to give the delivery men first aid when his supernatural senses detect a faint electrical whine building from the bloody corpse.  He shouts a warning and we barely make it back down the stairwell before the hallway fills with the fiery explosion.

Sooo... yeah, we talked a big game at the time, and we were expecting something MUCH deadlier, but we actually were in a lot of danger.  Almost tragic, since normally that guy would have been the hero...  Meh :P  We're not evil, we're just hungry and possessed
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1973 on: April 01, 2016, 04:40:25 am »

He's probably very happy about that

Oh yeah, I neglected to mention that that wasn't so much an exclamation of fear as a declaration of intent. :P

As it turned out, he got mauled later, as did I. Luckily, the wizard greased me up and I managed to break the grapple. Which was a good thing, because I think I would have died instantly next round if I'd failed.

Other highlights included nearly wiping out a warg as it barrelled in from the edge of a lantern's light, the paladin one-shotting an imp as it revealed itself, and the wizard using Enlarge Person on anyone and everyone.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile

So I decided to open up the topic to PnP games outside of D&D, the same rules still apply, no bickering over editions, no arguments about things like alignments, etc.  Feel free to discuss whatever PnP RPGs you like, if you are asking a question, please specify what game your are asking about.  (This is not an April Fool's day joke.)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 11:42:10 am by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

Oh, that's really cool thanks!  (:
I was hoping my World of Darkness stuff was okay since nobody seemed to object, glad it's not off-topic now.
She/they

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile

It wasn't a problem, I just felt like making it official.

That said, I don't want to hear anything at all about FATAL, really.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

So how about a forum game of FATAL, everyone?
We could run it in this thread.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can I get a definition of PnP?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So how about a forum game of FATAL, everyone?
You just, but I would play. I tried to run a game of it once here, but it didn't go so well.
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 623