Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 849067 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After reading through that article, it sounds like it's a bad game, but it's not really worth comparing to F.A.T.A.L. It's a bad port of bad digital games to tabletop (which is kind of cool, since it is usually the other way around). It's got stupid rules, to be sure! But it seems to be a rough and ugly piece of shit.
F.A.T.A.L. is a polished piece of shit: you can see the craftsmanship, and you want to play it to revel in the absolute horror. It's an odd kind of masochism.
But VTNL just doesn't interest me. Honestly, from a game design standpoint, it's interesting. The mechanics are different from anything else I've seen outside of forum games. Hell, it could make a pretty interesting forum game.
But it's not F.A.T.A.L. F.A.T.A.L. has a certain... eldritch horror that this can't reach.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile

Yeah, I briefly considered mentioning FATAL there, but decided it wasn't really in the same league. Like, in terms of badness from "best-worst" to "plain old bad", the scale is probably something like FATAL -> deadEarth -> Synnibarr -> uh, SenZar maybe? -> VTNL, with HYBRID floating somewhere in the void between dimensions.

Still though. The game literally instructs the GM to give dialogue like video game shopkeepers. You've gotta admit there's something just kind of charmingly stupid about how the author expects the players to enjoy following the barebones rules to the letter, not even with Synnibarr's rules about what happens if the rules are broken, but rather with the mindset that the players wouldn't even dare break the rules as set forth in the player's guide instruction manual.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, I briefly considered mentioning FATAL there, but decided it wasn't really in the same league. Like, in terms of badness from "best-worst" to "plain old bad", the scale is probably something like FATAL -> deadEarth -> Synnibarr -> uh, SenZar maybe? -> VTNL, with HYBRID floating somewhere in the void between dimensions.
You forget RaHoWa in there. :P
Still though. The game literally instructs the GM to give dialogue like video game shopkeepers. You've gotta admit there's something just kind of charmingly stupid about how the author expects the players to enjoy following the barebones rules to the letter with the mindset that the players wouldn't even dare break the rules as set forth in the player's guide instruction manual.
Heh. You certainly have a point.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

DeadEarth is entertainingly bad simply because it could conceivably be fun to roll characters and try to survive. I'd house-rule natural ability/disability rolling out, but aside from that, it's just bad.

FATAL is abysmal in content and ruleset. Where deadEarth is misogynist, FATAL is subhuman.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cannot find 1d4chan article on deadEarth.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

Cannot find 1d4chan article on deadEarth.
Iiiit appears to not exist.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile

DeadEarth is entertainingly bad simply because it could conceivably be fun to roll characters and try to survive. I'd house-rule natural ability/disability rolling out, but aside from that, it's just bad.

FATAL is abysmal in content and ruleset. Where deadEarth is misogynist, FATAL is subhuman.
You still have the radman roulette if you gain too much radiation in-game, though.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

FATAL is just dice rolls all the way down, really. I don't think there's much actual game, you just roll dice until your d20s become d1s

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile

FATAL is just dice rolls all the way down, really. I don't think there's much actual game, you just roll dice until your d20s become d1s
That's because it's super realistic. Super realistic in tabletops seems to mean 'dice rolls for. Fucking. EVERYTHING.

'Why do I need to know how many inches my anus can expand when I'm taking a massive shit!?' 'Because the dice says so. Roll a D20.'
I think you need a d100 for that if it's bad enough that you need a dice roll
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

And it CAN kill you.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile

One of my DM's decided to create his own variant of D&D. You roll for everything randomly with character creation and try to survive as long as you can. Our only handicap is the fact that the four arrays to pick from are really good. You get two classes and you randomly get a level in two classes after each level beyond the second and you just continue that as you progress. The only thing you get to pick is alignmnet; the rest is random.

He was planning on doing randomly built dungeons too, as well as other things.

Oh, and he's gonna record it. Its going to be put up and then one of the players and the DM are gonna work together to make drawings of it. If its actually enjoyable to watch, I'll post the links here. We're almost ready to start and I'm terrified...
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

May the dice be with you.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

Praise RNJesus/RNGod/RNGoddess!
I'm interested in that experiment, please do post links when they're ready.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

Praise deusbot.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 623