Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 849042 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's legal to change targets as part of a full attack. It's also legal to declare your full attack, strike down an enemy, 5 ft. step and then finish your attacks against additional targets. You don't have to declare every attack against the same target before the damage of your attacks are rolled. Heck, if you're desperate, you can even end your full attack by throwing your weapon at an enemy as a ranged attack instead. I've done that with disposable weapons before, when I've made a full attack and found that I'm out of enemies in range.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile

Yea, but it's not something I'm terribly fond of. Especially when the player in question basically one-shots every enemy in the room.

A Mythic Gestalt Paladin/Ranger with Smites, Favoured Enemy, and a +3 Holy Bane Evil Outsider Adaptive Longbow is basically capable of completing this adventure path solo, since every goddamned enemy is an Evil Outsider. Or at least, 7 out of every 10 enemies are Demons.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Then the DM's job is to throw encounters at the party that can't be solved by a niche character build. Suddenly, you're fighting Aberrations! That like to use Wind Wall!

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The DM has been adding extra enemies to encounters, but at the moment, the Ranger gets five attacks a round, with two of those attacks firing two arrows at once thanks to Manyshot and Mythic Manyshot. He almost always ends five enemies on his turn.

Plus Instant Enemy is a spell that exists. No such thing as a creature safe from a Ranger.

Plus he took feats to ignore cover and wind conditions, so things like Wind Wall and anything other than Total Cover or Total Concealment are meaningless.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

and Mythic Manyshot

AHH that explains things.

The Mythic rules are flat out broken and are meant to be balanced via mythic type enemies (with normal enemies being chumps).

Well that and Smite eliminates pretty much all the advantages demons have pretty much automatically.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 05:55:28 pm by Neonivek »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mythic flat-out breaks action economy once you get an extra Standard action each round for only one use of Mythic Power.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 05:57:23 pm by BlackFlyme »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mythic flat-out breaks action economy once you get an extra Standard action each round for only one use of Mythic Power.

Honestly the only thing I don't like about running mythic is just the amount of book keeping and memorization it requires.

Mythic enemies are HUGE bundles of abilities, powers, and feats that you have to know all of like the back of your hand to effectively use.

It basically adds an entire new layer of complications to an already complicated game.

That and the mythic enemy list is REALLY scant and difficult to find more of. (makes it essentially only half-finished)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 06:03:54 pm by Neonivek »

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How's he getting line of sight? A good old Obscuring Mist will mean he can't target any creature more than five feet away. Solid Fog, Acid Fog and the like straight out negate ranged attacks too, even if they have Weathered Warrior. Or just give the enemies Deflect Arrows, which automatically blocks the hit, no save. It even blocks all the arrows from a Manyshot, since they're all a single attack roll. If all else fails, give an encounter plenty of cannon fodder enemies to absorb attacks and get into melee range, or a big nasty with a strong Sunder attack vs. shooty-mcstabbyface's bow.

A good DM will find ways around any niche build.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!

If you have line of effect, it's entirely possible to deal a lot of damage through total concealment. 50% miss chance means that half your shots still hit, which if you're putting out a lot of attacks per turn is still significant.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile

So, uh, if we're talking about niche.

I had a(n addmittedly 3rd party for pathfinder) soulknife build. His AC when attacking, at level 8 (soul knife 5, warrior 3), was 34. His touch was 24 . His attack with his soul knife was +15, and his sunder attempts were +23. He was able to tell just about anyone with a weapon that they couldn't play with it any more. He was also able to AC-tank melee pretty damn well. Which he did especially well because it looked like he had no armor.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A good DM will find ways around any niche build.

I dunno at a certain point it becomes excessive and silly.

"Ok  this enemy is specifically resistant to Arrows and is immune to smite... but not anyone elses abilities"

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not any more so than enemies specifically designed to be immune to other things. Golems being immune to almost all magic, or swarms immune to almost all weapons, for example. Let's not even mention the list of stuff immune to Sneak Attack too. There's always going to be something out there that's got a big 'no' button for your gimmick, and that's why you have other party members to fill out a range of roles.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 07:08:50 am by Jimmy »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!

I dunno at a certain point it becomes excessive and silly.

"Ok  this enemy is specifically resistant to Arrows and is immune to smite... but not anyone elses abilities"

They don't have to be specifically arrow resistant - just give them Immune: Piercing ('cause it's a gaseous shade, or a plant, or an ooze or something) and an alignment other than evil takes care of the smite.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile

A true neutral (acts with no intelligence) plant that emits toxic gas and is surrounded by slimes. The plant and slimes have a symbiotic relationship; the slimes eat pests (people) that harm the plant, and the plant attracts more pests for the slimes.
Black lives matter.
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 623