Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 849059 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread , Now with meaningless poll!
« Reply #2895 on: December 07, 2016, 01:42:13 am »

The important part to me is not to be so strong mechanically and to be more... thematic.

So for example instead of Ki being measured like mana... What if fighters only had a max of say... 10 ki... and start battles with 5... each turn adds 1 automatically.

Something along those lines.

As well combat would be based more on creating opportunities rather then wasting away HP...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: December 07, 2016, 01:46:06 am »

What if they could swing their swords in a 6-second tai-chi set to regain a ki.
Oh hello Tome of Battle :P

Honestly?  It was kinda cool.
BECAUSE it made fighters like spellcasters.  Spellcasters weren't just better in-universe...  they were better mechanically.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: December 07, 2016, 01:50:40 am »

Yes charging is a thing. I don't know if it would be a move or not.

Another aspect is I want to remove transformations as race specific... and instead have them as sort of techniques.

You can certainly recreate Super Saiyan.

---

Another was that move creation HAD to be a thing... but to balance it I had to think of it in terms of what is it that goes into a move?

What makes a Kamehameha unique outside just being a blaster move?... Well it is a continuous attack (slightly but not extremely homing)... So What if it cost 2-ki to pull off... and when it lands you can pump ki into it until the enemy escapes or you chose not to, increasing its damage.

Meaning that continuous attacks are Ki-conserving attacks.

---

The bigger issue is Destructo Disk... I am not sure what to do with it right now

Either it is "Unblockable" meaning that enemies have to dodge it (but that would... have issues with all moves being undodgable or unblockable to try to hit defenses)

The other is that successful Destructo Disk attacks might be a lot more injurious.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 01:55:49 am by Neonivek »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: December 07, 2016, 01:57:45 am »

I think it was a standard action "flourish" to recharge a maneuver, but it was different between swordsage and warblade I think.  Swordsages could hold a lot of maneuvers.

To clarify, when I say that spellcasters were "better" mechanically in 3.5e, I mean they were more fun to play.  OBVIOUSLY they were more powerful, but there was also a lot more mecahical depth available - Which is why the Tome of Battle, which introduced "martial" spellcasters, fixed things...  And basically predicted 4e.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: December 07, 2016, 03:36:48 am »

I think something to keep in mind is that DBZ is a lot like if a D&D game reached its finale after doing levels 1-15 (which would be Dragon Ball), only to just keep on going toward 20 and beyond, until at the end they're making up post-level 30 progressions and shit. It'd be in keeping with what I know of high-level D&D combat, even. So if you're going for the DBZ feel you either want to start high-level in a system, or alternatively adapt a system that's already meant to be high-powered (something like Exalted, I guess).

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2900 on: December 07, 2016, 04:16:09 am »

Eh, aside from focus on fighting being the main point of the series, I don't see why you'd want to create a DBZ themed tabletop game. I suppose if Bandai gets bored they could make one to try milking yet one more dollar from the IP, but honestly it's just abusing the deceased equine at this point.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: December 07, 2016, 05:22:28 am »

I think something to keep in mind is that DBZ is a lot like if a D&D game reached its finale after doing levels 1-15 (which would be Dragon Ball), only to just keep on going toward 20 and beyond, until at the end they're making up post-level 30 progressions and shit. It'd be in keeping with what I know of high-level D&D combat, even. So if you're going for the DBZ feel you either want to start high-level in a system, or alternatively adapt a system that's already meant to be high-powered (something like Exalted, I guess).

Everyone is super powered in DBZ already and the super ability of many of the powers do not affect the characters.

For example the Kamehameha is technically a AoE... but nothing but a direct hit is REALLY going to do much to any of the fighters.

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: December 07, 2016, 02:09:12 pm »

for a DBZ game you probably want to use Exalted, and if you have Shards of The Exalted Dream, The Burn Legend rules for pure kung fu action.
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: December 07, 2016, 03:41:44 pm »

for a DBZ game you probably want to use Exalted, and if you have Shards of The Exalted Dream, The Burn Legend rules for pure kung fu action.

No seriously that is a huge bad idea...

Exalted is extremely arbitrary.

Shub-Nullgurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #2904 on: December 08, 2016, 02:39:16 am »

I'm looking for players for an Uz game set in Glorantha. No RuneQuest or Glorantha experienced required, but I am kinda struggling to find enough players.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: December 08, 2016, 03:06:28 am »

Exalted is extremely arbitrary.
Having never watched DBZ, isn't that the point of DBZ and every other long running show? That things eventually break down and become extremely arbitrary?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: December 08, 2016, 09:38:31 am »

Extremely arbitrary. Extremely arbitrary. As in "I punch you into a duck." As in "I punch you into the form of a duck." Or "I hide underneath your teacup."
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: December 08, 2016, 11:26:25 am »

Extremely arbitrary. Extremely arbitrary. As in "I punch you into a duck." As in "I punch you into the form of a duck." Or "I hide underneath your teacup."

Well Buu could laser people into chocolate, so there's that.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: December 08, 2016, 04:35:00 pm »

that problem is mostly in sidereal martial arts(which most smart gms ban).
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: December 10, 2016, 11:09:48 pm »

New campaign. Was warned it was a known meat-grinder, though the first session had little combat. Mostly just roleplay, but we fought a pack of rabid dogs at one point. I accidentally singled myself out by tossing grenades at them.

Anyways, some time later we went to rest for the night. We were in our home city by the way. We haven't even left the place, nor made any negative impressions on the townsfolk. A nice, secure inn in the middle of the city. We all got coup-de-graced in our sleep.

I am 100% serious when I say it's an impossible encounter. Assassins sneak into our rooms, and gut us in our sleep. Not all of us are outsiders; one of the starting options is to be a native of the place, and are directed to sleep in our own homes rather than the inn. Meaning that one person catching an assassin cannot warn others, unless they are both in the inn. And even then, you get a negative to that because of Perception penalties due to sleep and walls.

The DC to detect the assassins is 25. And you take a -10 penalty on Perception checks when unconscious. And we're level one. And it's only going to get worse from here. Fuck this campaign.
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 623