Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845632 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread , Now with meaningless poll!
« Reply #3165 on: January 24, 2017, 01:51:37 pm »

I am trying to think of a system that would even accept "Drop vinegar into a bone tornado" as an acceptable solution to a problem.

The only one I really get is Call of Cthulhu.

Though given the nature of the tornado... I am not sure ordinary acid is going to cut it (or even acid in general).

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: January 24, 2017, 01:53:17 pm »

. . . . .and DnD, as long as your DM allowed it.
Black lives matter.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: January 24, 2017, 01:56:13 pm »

. . . . .and DnD, as long as your DM allowed it.

Yes but we are talking about systems that readily accept you just sort of sprinking lemons on bone tornados causing their bones to turn to goo.

Rather then DMs who see a solution.

---

Likewise since Pinapple dissolves people... You should be able to slice Pineapple and hang it on Balrogs and kill them that way.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: January 24, 2017, 01:57:10 pm »

Oh, I get you.
Black lives matter.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: January 24, 2017, 04:26:22 pm »

Hey, if the characters wanna do something wonky and creative I'm all for it. I let them throw an iron maiden at a Bodak to trap it inside and stop its killing gaze affecting them. I'll come up with some form of dice roll that gives them odds of success or failure.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: January 24, 2017, 05:00:54 pm »

That's basically how I handle it, real world knowledge and rules apply, if the characters have a reasonable expectation of possessing that knowledge (so all the advanced chem stuff is out unless they are practicing alchemists, and even then there has to be in-world justification, such as personal observation.)
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: January 24, 2017, 07:52:10 pm »

Well, today's D&D session was unexpected and ended abruptly because one of the players had to leave early. In short, all we did was prepare a gnome village (while nearly having our bard lynched for heresy) for an impending attack by a small regiment of high elves and when the general came to demand we surrender, we somehow managed to capture his horse (sleep spell that didn't hit the intended target) while he fled on foot.

I am glad our DM lets us roll for our stupid ideas.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: January 24, 2017, 08:23:46 pm »

That's basically how I handle it, real world knowledge and rules apply, if the characters have a reasonable expectation of possessing that knowledge (so all the advanced chem stuff is out unless they are practicing alchemists, and even then there has to be in-world justification, such as personal observation.)

You dont really need to be an alchemist to have seen or done this. Acid pickled meat products would demonstrate it succinctly. It is not unreasonable to expect the deboning process to sometimes let bone fragments get past, and into the pickling jars.

Suzy Homemaker of the dark age world would have observed this.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: January 24, 2017, 08:32:11 pm »

Wait... pickled meat?  *googles*
I've literally never heard of this.  Oh, except pickled pigs feet, and pickled eggs...  But actual meat?  Wow.

Anyway, DND-wise, I think I'm going to go a bit silly an unoptimal because everyone else is.  I know we have:

Some houserules actually weaken that that character (taking a race only costs the LA, not the HD.  And all skills are in-class).  But we're being memey.  And the biggest meme in our party, while we were playing DND was... being either of those things.  Much less both.

It's okay...  Death or capture is no escape, only a session under Santa's elves' knives.  It's a Christmas horror campaign.  why
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 09:13:33 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: January 24, 2017, 09:07:17 pm »

Spiced pickled meat was a mainstay of food preservation in dark ages europe.

Take for instance, this recipe for carmeline pickled meat.

http://www.godecookery.com/goderec/grec12.htm

Note that it calls for carmeline sauce. This is essentially vinegar and cinnamon, with bread crumbs as a thickener.
http://www.godecookery.com/goderec/grec13.htm

When superior food preservation methods became available after the renaissance, and the rise of the industrial revolution, many of these forms of food preservation were abandoned, which is why nobody in the modern world aside from ethnic food connoisseurs, historians, (and general info junkies like me) are generally aware of them.

Given the setting of the various DnD universes though, pickled meat would be a mainstay in all winter cupboards, and would be a great adventure swag bag food item, along with the more well known salt cured meats and the like.

Again, Suzy Homemaker would have observed the "magic bendy bone" cited earlier. She just may not have understood the mechanics of WHY, only the WHAT.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: January 24, 2017, 09:11:39 pm »

Clearly we needed to emulate the bosmer and brew meat with special bacteria into a toxic, mind-blasting substance.

Oh wait lutefisk
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: January 24, 2017, 09:13:25 pm »

Advanced chem applies more to things like black powder and other things that require more than average knowledge or actual experimentation.  As I said, if there is a reasonable expectation of characters possessing the knowledge, the players can act on it.  That said, vinegar against skeletons/things made of bones isn't terribly helpful when said things are trying to kill the party now.

And you are forgetting that critical thinking is actually very new in terms of knowledge (at least for the common man), or shall we just disregard 'spontaneous generation' and the other non-logic based garbage thought that dominated the medieval knowledge base?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 09:16:41 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: January 24, 2017, 09:41:29 pm »

Just throw another copy at them after they exhaust their unique and creative method of dispatching it.
Black lives matter.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: January 24, 2017, 09:53:41 pm »

This whole thing reminds me of when I ran the Castle Forlorn module in Ravenloft, and the very first thing one player tried to do was construct a hand grenade right there on the spot, to throw into a suspicious lake. Essentially trying to "blow up" Loch Ness so they can see the monster swimming around. Started rattling off all these compounds he could potentially scrounge from the environment.

His intelligence was 12. I think he was a fighter.

Or the guy who maintained he simply didn't believe in ghosts, even after one aged him 25 years or so. He signed up to play a gothic horror version of D&D, and then went with "I don't believe in ghosts, in game or in real life, because science."

Some people are dead set on trying to take the fun out of gaming.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 09:56:31 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: January 24, 2017, 09:56:08 pm »

That would take awhile. The room just prior contains a shitton of alchemy reagents, many of which would be suitable for the task.

As for taking the *fun* out-- there are OTHER, MORE INTERESTING consequences the DM can throw in.  For instance, now instead of a whirly bone trap, you have semi-alive bone-slime monster, who has native acid splash damage. -- WITH ambient whirlwind enviro-hazard.

Other creative solutions:

Conjure up large quantities of water to flood the room, then flash freeze it. This will cement the bone fragments inside the ice, while the whirlwind will whip the water up against the walls. Might be difficult to open the door after freezing it shut though.

Sustained burning hands into the room through the open door. The wirlwind will greatly increase the efficacy of the burning hands due to subsequent low pressure cell at the center of the vortex. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BxQd6AGYiI) This is great, because burning hands is ranged, and can be delivered without actually putting the hand INTO the room.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 10:09:04 pm by wierd »
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 623