Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845669 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread , Now with meaningless poll!
« Reply #3210 on: January 27, 2017, 12:43:35 am »

For some reason I have the "Dominion Tank Police" theme music playing in my head now...

Bonus points if you somehow include the "ultimate deterrent" in somehow.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 12:45:09 am by wierd »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: January 27, 2017, 12:53:56 am »

I love the old Dominion Tank Police movies from the nineties, one of the very first anime I ever watched, and that intro was awesome.

Additional bonus points for working in Ana and Uni Puma.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 12:59:21 am by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: January 27, 2017, 01:51:21 am »

Man. That tank company commander is going to get court marshal. Super incompetent. Where is that tanks support? Generally a US Tank Platoon is 3 Tanks. Where are the other two? Where is its mechanize infantry? Where the Infantry Company this Tank Company is working in conjunction with?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: January 27, 2017, 11:54:40 pm »

Can someone explain to me why, in curse of strahd's level 1-3 dungeon, there is a LITERAL BAG OF SHIT that the party can loot!?

Loving everything I found so far but this... This is SOOOOOOOO messed up
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: January 28, 2017, 12:10:28 am »

Because someone left a bag of poop there, and the party can loot anything they can carry.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: January 28, 2017, 01:16:50 am »

You missed your chance, but Cards Against Humanity actually sold a Bullshit Box on Black Friday with literal bullshit inside. So perhaps your sack of shit isn't so inexplicable after all?

Plus if it was me in the game, I'd automatically invent some method of finding a door in a dungeon, lighting the bag on fire, knocking on the door and then hiding around a corner.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3216 on: January 28, 2017, 03:44:54 am »

Ideas time!

So my players last session have gained the aforementioned airship by passing a series of fairly easy skill checks to gain control of the unmanned craft. Part of the charm of it will be its umbrite shadow engine, harnessing the power of an ethereal rift to power the vessel through passage through the Plane of Shadow.

As part of this, the characters will be exposed to an encounter risk involving primal magic.

The rules on this page have a recommendation to strike out one result and add a new one when it's triggered, so I'm sourcing ideas from the community to build on this table.

Any thoughts for some effects of magic gone wrong?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: January 28, 2017, 03:55:33 am »

What features does the ship have?  Does it have the transmutation function? If so, interractions can be interesting.

Suggest rolling 1D6 to get a "severity", and another 1D6 for number of effects, and another 1D6 (or suitable dice for total number of allowed effects) for each effect to determine what it is. Get a shortlist of effects and assign them each fair dice rolls. (Personally, I would cobble together a simple python or VB scriptlet that simulates the dice rolls, and does the table lookups to say what the effects are, but not everyone has my skillset or would find that a trivial exercise.)

That is different from what the table suggests, but would allow more interesting combinations, such as nightmare gore that smells like chocolate, coupled with giggling laughter, and soothing music-- for example.

As for ideas:

Smells
Sounds
material emissions
alterations in mass or chemical properties resulting in aberrant matter
conjurations
transmutations
illusions
behavior altering effects/compulsions
status changes
"sensations" (other, such as say, "prickling", or "tickling")
spontaneous activation of nearby magical items (wands, potions going flat, etc)

Really, if it is a magical effect, it can happen.  Abandon normal things that go together, like "fire being hot".  The hallway could be replaced with a burning inferno, but be perfectly room temperature, and smell like marmalade, with a slight itchy feeling. etc.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 04:05:40 am by wierd »

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: January 28, 2017, 04:02:51 am »

So far the group haven't passed any of the checks to identify its secret functions. I gave them a DC 30 Knowledge: The Planes check to know how it works, and there was a trapped folder that exploded into a fireball and destroyed its contents inside the captain's quarters.

Currently the ship has the feature "broken as shit." It's stats are included below, spoilered for length.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Care to offer ideas for specific examples of what you'd consider good effects for your suggested tables?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: January 28, 2017, 04:46:24 am »

Suggested method:

1D6 determines number of simultaneous effects.

For each D6, 1D6 is rolled for severity, and 1 dice of appropriate value determines effect type. Some effects may have a subtype-- such as, say "Sensation", or "Smell". Roll suitable dice for the subtype.

Again, this is time consuming to do with real dice. would create a diceroller script that produces output for expediency, and which outputs the values of all the rolls (because SOMEBODY will always ask)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3220 on: January 28, 2017, 06:20:20 am »

Can someone explain to me why, in curse of strahd's level 1-3 dungeon, there is a LITERAL BAG OF SHIT that the party can loot!?

I once looted some troll shit and put it in a bag while exploring the entryway to a level 1 dungeon in my 3.5 game.

Nine levels later I still have it. Turned out to be less useful than I thought.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: January 28, 2017, 06:43:43 am »

Also there is a fairly good reason for there to be a bag of poop in Strahd's dungeon...

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3222 on: January 28, 2017, 09:03:23 am »

Planar shenanigans are always fun. When handling the engine directly, for instance, you could have a 1 on a d6 cast Blink on the handler, or 2 put them into the shadow plane for 1d10 minutes (hopefully there's a closet corresponding to the engine in the shadow plane, so they don't plummet to their deaths...)

If abjuration is in effect anywhere to keep the ship stealthy or whatnot, require a concentration check to cast while aboard the ship. If something rocks the ship, you could say that on a 1-3 on a d10, an antimagic field on the ship activates for 1d20 minutes - a safety measure gone wrong.

...all planar magic used on the ship is automatically Empowered?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: January 28, 2017, 11:51:47 am »

Also there is a fairly good reason for there to be a bag of poop in Strahd's dungeon...

No no no. This is in the death house optional dungeon.

Spoiler: Death House Spoilers (click to show/hide)
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: January 28, 2017, 04:07:41 pm »

Wait, was it just regular old shit or bat guano? Because bat guano is one of the material components of the fireball spell, along with sulfur (which is likely a reference to the recipe for black powder (though there should probably also be some charcoal in there)).

Ideas time!

So my players last session have gained the aforementioned airship by passing a series of fairly easy skill checks to gain control of the unmanned craft. Part of the charm of it will be its umbrite shadow engine, harnessing the power of an ethereal rift to power the vessel through passage through the Plane of Shadow.

As part of this, the characters will be exposed to an encounter risk involving primal magic.

The rules on this page have a recommendation to strike out one result and add a new one when it's triggered, so I'm sourcing ideas from the community to build on this table.

Any thoughts for some effects of magic gone wrong?
After being exposed to it for a while, you might have them roll for mutations from the Metamorphica. Or you could use before that but have the mutations have a limited duration. Either way, you might want to give them a Fortitude saving throw to avoid, and possibly have the DC scale up every time the effect is triggered.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 623