Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 849013 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread , Now with meaningless poll!
« Reply #3240 on: February 04, 2017, 07:48:09 pm »

Wasn't true until second edition, when they added "non-weapon proficiencies". Other than specific things only the theif class could do.  Though in 2nd, they were an optional rule.

Even then, NWPs were much wider in scope.  Most were basically just occupations and could cover whatever duties those people could do.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: February 04, 2017, 09:24:31 pm »

I find it weird that there is a growing trend of Pen and Paper RPGs with absolutely no character customization.

Preset character only RPGs... Sure you can change their name, gender, and appearance... but by large they are already made for you.
Are you talking about Powered by the Apocalypse-type games? Because in those they are made that way to help convey the themes of the game (and yes, also make it easy for someone to pick up a character and play without having to use pre-mades).

Not sure what you mean -- PBtA tends towards simple character customization (pick your stats, pick your starting moves, make any choices those moves call for, repeat when you level up), but you do have mechanical choices.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: February 04, 2017, 09:38:39 pm »

I find it weird that there is a growing trend of Pen and Paper RPGs with absolutely no character customization.

Preset character only RPGs... Sure you can change their name, gender, and appearance... but by large they are already made for you.
Are you talking about Powered by the Apocalypse-type games? Because in those they are made that way to help convey the themes of the game (and yes, also make it easy for someone to pick up a character and play without having to use pre-mades).

Not sure what you mean -- PBtA tends towards simple character customization (pick your stats, pick your starting moves, make any choices those moves call for, repeat when you level up), but you do have mechanical choices.
Yeah, I guess I didn't read the post too closely, and now I have absolutely no idea what it's referring to.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: February 04, 2017, 09:51:47 pm »

If people are intimidated by 3rd ed char creation, they are probably rendered catatonic by RIFTS and other Palladium titles, seriously, even Shadowrun is easy compared to those.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: February 05, 2017, 01:16:30 am »

Nah it is that I've been looking at kickstarter projects...

and if the Pen and Paper RPG isn't an add-on or conversion for 5e/Pathfinder... It is a game that features no real character customization except picking one to two jobs (and those jobs don't level) with nothing on the side whatsoever.

Shame because some of them are very interesting... One is you are a teacher in a magic school with the focus being more on academia, social interaction, and office politics. Another is you are a thief in a cartel trying to make grand heists.

I wouldn't even mind if preset characters were standard as long as they offered some form of customization. Yet without that ingredient it just becomes a roleplaying board game. Which EVEN THEN that would be ok, but goodness would getting players be an issue.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: February 05, 2017, 01:33:10 am »

The DM gave us a level after a bit of roleplay, so the Oradin finally got 3rd level spells, meaning he could cast Remove Blindness/Deafness on the Witch. Meaning we could all finally identify our loot.

We also got the mission of raiding a castle. We had been told that we had to somehow befriend all the hostile Orcs inside so that they would help us kill all the Ogres inside. However, the book gives the DM no potential methods of befriending the Orcs. In fact, any non-Orcs/Giants are to be killed on sight, so I have no idea why the potential of causing an insurrection would be given as a side-objective.

We tried yelling at them, and they responded by raining arrows down on us. Then we spent a few days hunting animals in the woods, to give as a gift to the Orcs. They take the meat, and let us in.

We came across a Dwarf in a makeshift arena, fighting off Direbears with a skillet. Not just any skillets though; it was the greatest of skillets. +1 Mithril Skillet. It's a thing. Why is it a thing? Fuck if I know. The book says it be what it is, so it do. No idea why Orcs had enchanted kitchenware. It being Mithril alone meant it's non-stick, so why would you go the extra mile to enchant the fucking thing?

We bought the Dwarf. Rather, the Witch bought the Dwarf. For 5,000 gold. Just offered it on the spot, no haggling or anything. Unfortunately, the Dwarf did not come with the skillet. So we offered to buy his gear for another 2,000 gold. We got his gear, but not the skillet. It was not his; they made the Dwarf fight with the skillet for their enjoyment.

Interesting session, to say the least.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: February 05, 2017, 01:40:01 am »

We came across a Dwarf in a makeshift arena, fighting off Direbears with a skillet. Not just any skillets though; it was the greatest of skillets. +1 Mithril Skillet. It's a thing. Why is it a thing? Fuck if I know. The book says it be what it is, so it do. No idea why Orcs had enchanted kitchenware. It being Mithril alone meant it's non-stick, so why would you go the extra mile to enchant the fucking thing?
...Is that somehow actually a thing?  Mithril being easy to clean?  It *sounds* right.
Interesting session, to say the least.
Agreed!  Weird module, sounds like.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: February 05, 2017, 01:45:13 am »

Honestly... I know I should have other commentary but...

I am just wondering if Mithril would even be a good material for a Skillet.

I mean, I guess it has the same or similar heat conduction that Steel/Iron/Lead does... But would its super light weight be a detriment?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: February 05, 2017, 01:47:37 am »

Here's a link to a Waffle Iron, Mithral

Relevant text:
As with other mithral cookware, food rarely sticks to a mithral waffle iron.

And this isn't just a module. This is a part of an entire adventure path, which is six whole books. One path I have many problems with.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: February 05, 2017, 01:55:26 am »

Honestly... I know I should have other commentary but...

I am just wondering if Mithril would even be a good material for a Skillet.

I mean, I guess it has the same or similar heat conduction that Steel/Iron/Lead does... But would its super light weight be a detriment?
I doubt it.  Aluminum camping cookware is very light by design, and it works well.
Heck, that's probably the inspiration.  Though aluminum isn't nostick, and is a bit fragile since it's thin.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: February 05, 2017, 02:04:09 am »

That is a terrifying waste of mithril.
Black lives matter.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: February 05, 2017, 02:32:54 am »

The strangest part is that it's been nerfed; it used to be cheaper. Granted, it was only nine gold cheaper, but the point stands. Especially since it no longer matches Mithral's pricing formula.

Mithril. Mithral? Or is there a Y in there somewhere? Too many ways to write it.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: February 05, 2017, 02:40:30 am »

Mathraiyl?
Black lives matter.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: February 05, 2017, 02:45:16 am »

Maeiouandsometimesythrill.

Shouldn't it be called a Waffle Mithral? or a Mithral Waffle Iron? Ultimate Equipment has it as Waffle Iron Mithral.

What the hell kind of proficiency do you need for a skillet anyways? The Dwarf had Catch off Guard, so that doesn't count, since that's basically Proficiency: Non-Weapon Weapons.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 02:47:49 am by BlackFlyme »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: February 05, 2017, 02:48:38 am »

It's specifically listed as a Misc. item, though.
Black lives matter.
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 623