Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845643 times)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread , Now with meaningless poll!
« Reply #3360 on: March 03, 2017, 05:10:32 pm »

...aaaaaaand we're done! Friday night session is complete, and the winner is...

NOTHING!!!

Seriously, the players didn't go for any of the adventure hooks. Honestly guys, what's hard about this? Someone needs a group of murderhobos to go kill stuff and take their magic things, and you're not fucking interested?!
Players have a tendency to go against what the GM wants. As an example, in my last D&D session, the players, myself included, manage to defeat the overpowered enemy general and his army despite our GM wanting us to be captured as part of his adventure hook. Instead we pretended to surrender and unleashed all our strongest magic point-blank on the general.
Yeah, I'd say one rule of thumb for D&D is never have a plot that involves the players getting captured. It will almost never work out. And definitely don't try to keep them anywhere against their will, unless you're willing to just pull excuses out of your ass about why their escape attempts won't work.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: March 03, 2017, 07:33:15 pm »

Our DM had a good workaround for that one, the BBEG "captured" two players and menaced them into becoming his patsies, it later turned out it was a dream and if they'd stood up to him he would have been unable to do jack squat.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: March 03, 2017, 07:45:14 pm »

So he could have done a lot of things?
Black lives matter.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: March 04, 2017, 05:09:12 pm »

Ok I have to say this...

There is this old Order of the Stick skit where a Wizard asks his assistant to go out and buy a ruby for him.

So he does and finds that they are half off... At which his master is furious with him because he needed a Ruby worth a certain price... But because they are half off, they are worth have as much.

Which I know is kind of pedantic and funny but... when I think about it. It is kind of magical and not a terrible idea for a system.

The Jewels have no inherent value as far as magic is concerned, it is only their value to the one casting it, what one had to exchange to obtain one... That is the actual source of magical potency.

A lot different then Gold being the literal magical exchange rate... enforced by the laws of physics.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: March 04, 2017, 05:35:23 pm »

Ok I have to say this...

There is this old Order of the Stick skit where a Wizard asks his assistant to go out and buy a ruby for him.

So he does and finds that they are half off... At which his master is furious with him because he needed a Ruby worth a certain price... But because they are half off, they are worth have as much.

Which I know is kind of pedantic and funny but... when I think about it. It is kind of magical and not a terrible idea for a system.

The Jewels have no inherent value as far as magic is concerned, it is only their value to the one casting it, what one had to exchange to obtain one... That is the actual source of magical potency.

A lot different then Gold being the literal magical exchange rate... enforced by the laws of physics.

Now, I'd actually adjust that so gems had to weigh a certain weight to be able to be used. Instead of a ruby worth 100gp, have it be a ruby that weight 1 ounce, or 1/10 an ounce and have it cost, generally, 100gp.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: March 04, 2017, 05:38:02 pm »

In all fairness Gems are considered trade goods in Dungeons and Dragons... and Trade goods are bought and sold at the same price.

So weight and GP are sort of the same thing essentially :P

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: March 04, 2017, 07:13:51 pm »

In our old post-necromantic-apocalypse campaign, buying things like rubies was sometimes tricky.  We just cast from treasure, instead - literally converting ancient coinage (or sacrificing it, for my divine spells) into the spell effects.  It wasn't any weirder than converting GP into XP for spell costs, which is an optional rule we used because we leveled based on progress rather than XP.

We did eventually come across a massive necropolis with a stable economy, but the prices for spell reagents would have been absurdly low due to a surplus of slave labor and utilized land (and a ruling class of liches).  There was one important gem there, though:  vampiric diamonds, used in the creation of new liches.  But those were less "resource cost", more "this is how you rip your own soul out".
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: March 04, 2017, 07:28:14 pm »

In other news, Wednesday I'm going to fight a dragon for the first time :o  And here I am, a human ranger... (Feral 1, Ranger 15, Scout 4)

Planning for it has been really...
Nonexistant.  No planning, nope.  We're just gonna charge in and hope for the best.  Perhaps I will attack it with my weapons, but who knows.
I am pretty excited though :D
Even though the dragon is made out of peppermint candy.  This mini-campaign about Christmas has been interesting like that.

I do need to pick one epic feat, actually...  I might actually go for damage reduction, even though it's just 3.  My character is already pretty tanky, but I don't know how to protect the others.
Well...
The psionic blink puppy will probably fusion dance with me at some point, but what about my hippogriff "wife".  Even with all those monk levels, dragons somehow fly faster >:(
My tiefling "daughter" is a jerk who kept trying to narc on us, so... I'm sure she'll be fine.
Also she's a warlock so she deserves to die.  At-will spellcasting like that?  Not in my 3.5e!!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: March 04, 2017, 08:01:09 pm »

On the subject of gold, I always liked this story (not mine):

Why do magic items cost gold to create?

Because gold is magic. The first day I was an apprentice, I remember my Maestro asked me the simple question, "why can't we create gold?" I thought it was an odd question, but as he left me alone to think about it, I realized I'd heard of wizards creating fire, summoning water, producing force, and all other of objects and effects… but never of a Wizard just sitting in a tower summoning mounds of gold. You'd think if it was possible, someone would've done it by now right? So? Why haven't they?

It’s because gold is magic. Well, a physical manifestation and metaphysical conduit at the same time, but for your purposes it is magic. When you sit and look at the evidence laid out, how couldn't you come to this conclusion sooner? Let's take dragons, for an example. When you imagine a big bad dragon, the next thing you imagine is it guarding its hoard. Hoard of what? That's right: GOLD. Isn't it odd that an entity whose literal being is infused with magic just happens to have not only an insatiable, but uncanny magnetism towards large quantities of gold, along with the urge to acquire as much as possible? Possibly the "like-begets-like" principle, hmmm?

Let's look at Dwarfs next. Their history lies below ground, closest in proximity to the veins and shafts where gold accumulates and grows (yes, "grows"). They're the only race with an inborn resistance to magic. Isn't that curious? Almost as if there's a subtle inoculation against it by such proximity for generations...

Lastly, to get back to what exactly I am doing with all this gold when I'm making your lovely magic item, or all my scrolls. You're right that I'm not spending thousands of coins upon jewels and masterwork items to hold the magic in place. That's ludicrous, but if eldritch manipulators are spending money on high end items to imbue, it's probably a personal focusing preference. For myself, as you can see, I am working with normal mundane items. Technically I am transmogrifying via prestidigitation these elegant golden coins into their more metaphysically soluble powder form because essence diffusion is easier by an order of magnitude when working with particulates instead of a boatload of walletweights. With a certain amount of forceful application of will and choice incantations, you will notice the gold powder I am sprinkling and kneading on top of the object is absorbed by said object. Remember what I said about manifestation and conduit? So the gold is not only priming these boots to be receptive towards my spells, but it establishs a channel to arcane ley lines it order to keep the magic going. Yes, it is indeed very time consuming rubbing gold powder into an item one pinch at a time while maintaining the proper mental focus. There's a reason it takes us about eight hours for every thousand gold a magic item requires. You think a consortium of magic users got together and decided on union hours for magic making? Hell no. Its plain old, tedious work, but important work if you want it to function correctly.

Now, master-of-arms and all things armly, would you kindly let me focus on the task at hand so that when I'm done, we don’t have to worry about our Holy Dictator suffering from extreme vomiting and nausea whenever he puts his shoes on because I had to split my attention trying to condense decades of intense arcane study into an elementary discourse?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: March 04, 2017, 08:05:11 pm »

Thanks Jimmy I love it!

Gold is basically Trilithium :P and exists in space and subspace :P

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: March 05, 2017, 12:27:44 am »

Random encounter table hates us. A week or so overland trip, with one roll for the day, and one for the night, and we only get an encounter when the DM gets a 1 on a d6.

We fought a pair of Stone Giants, eight Fire Drakes, a Land Shark, an Adult White Dragon, a gargantuan stone statue Animated Object, three Axiomites, a Fire Giant, three Frost Giants, and two Vampires with four thralls. I might be forgetting more.

Encountering Being ambushed by Axiomites makes no sense, as they are Lawful Neutral outsiders dedicated to crafts in a Choatic Evil land full of giants and orcs. They have no reason to be here or be aggressive to us, so the DM just made them a group who've lived in the land for centuries, and just don't feel like leaving. They even set up a small blacksmithy, in case we want to buy anything. The campaign is a bit light on merchants.

The vampires were made up of an Antipaladin and a Sorceress. Even though they were a random encounter, there was a fair bit of lore behind them if you make the right Knowledge checks. That said, the Adventure Path has literally no details on pursuing them if you encounter them. Why have all this information on them then?

We also found a minor artifact; a magical prosthetic. No-one wanted it, since we all had limbs that we were rather attached to already. Of course, I didn't want to let such a great item go to waste, so I took one for the team. By which I mean I'm a greedy fucking lunatic. You see, you can't wear a prosthetic if you've got all your limbs.

A bit annoyed that you can't enchant an artifact. It grants a +2 Enhancement bonus to Strength, so a belt would render part of it useless. Thinking about it, there are many artifact items in Adventure Paths that are stuck as minor tools since they can't be upgraded further.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 04:32:29 am by BlackFlyme »

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: March 05, 2017, 01:24:37 am »

Well, typically bits that you need to attach to your body by cutting off other bits are the best kind of item.

Just ask Vecna.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: March 05, 2017, 01:30:41 am »

I don't think that a guy who was ripped to bits so his bits could be used to replace other people's bits would be the best at judging how good bit-replacing bits are. He's probably a bit biased.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: March 05, 2017, 01:42:20 am »

Encountering Axiomites makes no sense, as they are Lawful Neutral outsiders dedicated to crafts in a Choatic Evil land full of giants and orcs. They have no reason to be here or be aggressive to us, so the DM just made them a group who've lived in the land for centuries, and just don't feel like leaving. They even set up a small blacksmithy, in case we want to buy anything. The campaign is a bit light on merchants.

Doing a bit of research... Nope that is still normal. Ignoring that Axiomites oppose chaos and might create a base of operations there... They are also dedicated to understanding all the fundamental rules and principles of the universe and as such they should exist in all parts of the multiverse if they so can.

Not to mention that in terms of planes you really do occasionally find other planar beings in different places. There are a few levels of abaddon or the abyss that are Elysium fields maintained by powerful good aligned outsiders.

---

I mean... Axiomites are crafters sure... But they are also creatures of order attempting to understand the universe while also being strongly opposed to chaos to such an extent that they built an army of killer robots that seek out and destroy chaos on a whim.

They are crafters... but not like... Painters and pottery... More like... Technowizardry and god robots (Yes... the Axiomites built giant super killer robot gods... That make other robots)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 01:46:46 am by Neonivek »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: March 05, 2017, 02:16:31 am »

But lore-wise in Pathfinder, the only Outsiders beyond Lastwall that aren't Celestials actively crusading against Orcs and Giants are the Demons that would come in from the Worldwound. Though in this adventure's point in the game's timeline, the Worldwound has been sealed.

Plus Axiomites wouldn't be actively ambushing people just walking along a road. It wouldn't make sense for them to do so.
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 623