Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845664 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread , Now with meaningless poll!
« Reply #3495 on: March 25, 2017, 10:04:51 am »

Actually, it'd be trivially easy for a fighter to pack a club just in case - clubs cost like a silver piece or two in 3.5 and they're actually free in 5E. Your Str and Power Attack are going to do the heavy lifting anyway if you're a fighter, so it doesn't really hurt to always have one with you.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: March 25, 2017, 10:06:11 am »

In 3.5e and Pathfinder they're zero cost too. It literally costs nothing for a fighter to pick up a club or quarterstaff with their starting equipment. The only downside is extra weight, but they're usually fine since they likely didn't dump Strength.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: March 25, 2017, 10:16:23 am »

You would have to be some special kind of short bus challeneged to short STR on a fighter. That's like dumping INT on a wizard, or CHA on a sorc.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: March 25, 2017, 10:17:21 am »

Sure! It's totally possible the party is well set up to bludgeon skeletons and chop up zombies. But especially for beginner groups (which I was in, both times this was a big issue), it's very possible that people didn't buy stuff with damage reduction in mind.

Granted, by RAW anyone can make a zero-cost club instantaneously with no materials because of how the crafting rules work, so that's an easy out for skeletons. :P

You would have to be some special kind of short bus challeneged to short STR on a fighter.
I mean, unless you're playing a dex fighter.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: March 25, 2017, 10:21:56 am »

It is also possible that this is a premade beginner campaign that has pre-created character sheets and inventories, since this is a session for new players. If the DM intends to force inter-player cooperation, buying that club at the town before entering the dungeon (because they have 0gp), and before getting "TOTALLY RANDOM SKELETON FIGHT! GO!" thrown at them might not be realistic.

And yeah, dex based fighter, but that is not something you want as the primary tank of the group.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3500 on: March 25, 2017, 04:26:39 pm »

Just to clarify, I'm running 5E. How much of that advice is still applicable? I'm not sure how much has changed between editions. Oh, and if it helps, the party comp is one rogue, one monk, one paladin, and one sorcerer.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: March 25, 2017, 05:36:42 pm »

Just to clarify, I'm running 5E. How much of that advice is still applicable? I'm not sure how much has changed between editions. Oh, and if it helps, the party comp is one rogue, one monk, one paladin, and one sorcerer.

Undead are less of a problem in 5E for the most part because most of their immunities from 3.5 simply aren't there anymore. Zombies get a fun trick where they can keep getting up if they roll well and nobody thinks to deploy fire/radiant, but other than that they're not super different from any other monster.

Also there's no Power Attack, but that's not so much of an issue.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: March 25, 2017, 06:53:30 pm »

In 5e, rogues have very few limitations on sneak attack. It works on any creature, and to use it they either need advantage on the attack roll or they need an ally right next to the creature when they make the attack (the rogue can even do this from ranged). About the only limitation it has that the 3.5 rogue didn't is that they can only use their sneak attack once per turn (but not per round, so it can be used if they hit with an opportunity attack).

Skeletons are much easier to deal with, since bludgeoning damage isn't a requirement to hurt them, though it can be helpful. As I mentioned above, rogues can still sneak attack skeletons as well as anything else, and clerics are maybe not as spectacular against undead since healing magic no longer has any effect on them, but they can still turn them away, and they have probably the best access to spells that do radiant damage, which pretty much nothing has resistance other than things like angels, and nothing has immunity to it. Also, paladin's smite ability does more damage to undead, though this would probably be overkill against a normal skeleton. And monks bare-fisted attacks do bludgeoning damage, and they get to do multiple unarmed attacks per turn, so they can do pretty well against skeletons.

As for general encounter building, the DMG has a pretty effective guide for making encounters of a proper challenge level, though, depending on how competent or incompetent your group is, Your Mileage May Vary on how much more difficult or easy you want to make it from default. But just remember to budget enough xp for the level and number of players you have (the encounter difficulty chart is set per character) and factor in the difficulty multiplier per number of monsters you're using (this isn't supposed to increase the amount of xp you give for defeating the monsters, it's just to let you know how much more difficult a fight will be when you add more monsters.) If you don't want to calculate out encounters yourself, this is a very helpful site.

Beyond that, some extra things to be aware of when making encounters: Look at the stat-blocks of monsters you plan to use. Probably the most important thing to look out for is damage resistances and immunities. If your players don't have magic weapons, fights against things with damage resistance to non-magical weapons will likely be harder, and fights against creatures with outright immunity to them will likely be all but impossible (though things with damage immunity are probably above your xp budget if you're at running low levels). But also some monsters can have scary abilities, and one you definitely want to watch out for is the intellect devourer, which can easily destroy characters without much Intelligence, and was probably more meant to pad out high-level encounters or to be used as foreshadowing for such.

Also, to avoid making things too easy, try not to group up a lot of low hitpoint creatures together too much, or spellcasters with AoE's will absolutely destroy your encounters. And if players have magic items with a constant attack, damage, AC or saving throw boost, you can probably stand to throw a bit tougher encounters at them. Not that you necessarily need to, all challenges don't necessarily need to be level appropriate either way. And, if you have one character that's stronger than the others, it's usually a better idea to attack them where they're weakest rather than ramping up the total difficulty to match their strength (which will probably just have the effect of leaving other characters behind).

PREEDIT: NINJA'd A BIT
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: March 25, 2017, 07:03:53 pm »

Highly important for 5E - unless the players completely screw the pooch, make absolutely sure they level up at the end of the first session.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: March 25, 2017, 11:39:24 pm »

So we did a one shot today of Star Wars, edge of the empire. It was a printed adventure, where we were running away from Temo the hutt and trying to get a space ship.

And that was the most murder hobo, I have been in a long while. We just solved everything with liberal amount of murder, and the only thing that boned us, was that we didnt apply enough murder.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: March 25, 2017, 11:56:42 pm »

RIFTS lesson: If it's still standing, nuke it harder.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: March 25, 2017, 11:57:51 pm »

It's the only way to be sure.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: March 26, 2017, 03:55:19 am »

When my children are old enough to read the Core Rulebook, I fully intend to teach them the value of solving your problems through copious application of murder.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: March 26, 2017, 06:08:36 am »

5E more or less avoids most of the problems with undead. General structure of the game should still be the same. Expanding on Kadzar slightly, kobold fight club is awesome, but be wary of leaning too heavily on the CR system. In my experience it's not a brilliant representation (it's more or less optimised for lower levels with a number of monsters equal to the number of party members in my experience). That said, until you get some experience under your belt there isn't much else to go off :P Just don't be afraid to scale up/down future encounter based off how the current one's going.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: March 26, 2017, 02:57:36 pm »

So we did a one shot today of Star Wars, edge of the empire. It was a printed adventure, where we were running away from Temo the hutt and trying to get a space ship.

And that was the most murder hobo, I have been in a long while. We just solved everything with liberal amount of murder, and the only thing that boned us, was that we didnt apply enough murder.

I'm in an EoTE campaign and I can confirm that murdering people is very mandatory, unavoidable, and profitable.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 623