Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 848915 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread , Now with meaningless poll!
« Reply #3510 on: March 26, 2017, 03:34:27 pm »

I'm in an EoTE campaign and I can confirm that murdering people is very mandatory, unavoidable, and profitable.

Star Wars might ultimately be a story about the fall and redemption of heroes, but to get to that point a shitton of people had to die first.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3511 on: March 27, 2017, 01:21:58 pm »

I am seriously considering acquiring a pair of maces for my dex barbarian. As little sense as it makes, weapon finesse applies to light maces and the way the campaign is going, I really want blunt damage for killing skeletons.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: March 27, 2017, 01:36:23 pm »

A baseball bat is light but you can still bludgeon people really well with it.
Black lives matter.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: March 27, 2017, 03:08:07 pm »

You can also defend yourself from someone with a baseball bat with a mid-weight jacket, so not really a good weapon per se.  Fine for an improvised bludgeon, not so good for combat.  You'd want something with more density, like a pipe, or tire iron, if you want real blunt force trauma.

Dual light maces sounds fun and different enough to be interesting, I'd go for it if I were you.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 03:13:37 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: March 27, 2017, 03:42:45 pm »

it was an analogy
Black lives matter.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: March 27, 2017, 03:48:20 pm »

Sorry, I tend to take discussions about inflicting injuries far more seriously than most, dark 'n mysterious past and all that.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: March 27, 2017, 04:10:01 pm »

I am seriously considering acquiring a pair of maces for my dex barbarian. As little sense as it makes, weapon finesse applies to light maces and the way the campaign is going, I really want blunt damage for killing skeletons.

To admit Weapon Finesse only increases your hit chance not your damage.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: March 27, 2017, 04:20:51 pm »

"All the power in the world doesn't matter if you can't hit something with it."  Me, paraphrasing something, right now.  (Yes, I know that strength also increases your chance to hit, it's a stupid quote with a stupid message.)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: March 27, 2017, 04:24:00 pm »

"All the power in the world doesn't matter if you can't hit something with it."  Me, paraphrasing something, right now.

Well the reason why "It works with Weapon Finesse?" is because it is counter to the idea of weapon finesse.

Which is more about wrist control and careful movements. Moving your skill through delicate dexterous movements instead of shows of might.

Using Light Maces with Weapon Finesse gives me the hilarious image of wielding them like they were drum sticks. Which while hilarious I think is canonical to how you are actually pulling it off.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 04:25:34 pm by Neonivek »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: March 27, 2017, 04:27:07 pm »

"All the power in the world doesn't matter if you can't hit something with it."  Me, paraphrasing something, right now.

Well the reason why "It works with Weapon Finesse?" is because it is counter to the idea of weapon finesse.

Which is more about wrist movements and careful movements. Moving your skill through delicate dexterous movements instead of shows of might.

Using Light Maces with Weapon Finesse gives me the hilarious image of wielding them like they were drum sticks. Which while hilarious I think is canonical to how you are actually pulling it off.

I imagine it's a lot more like using tonfa than drumsticks.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: March 27, 2017, 04:31:11 pm »

No, neo's got the right of it here, the 'finesse' method of fighting with light maces would look a lot like using a percussive instruments' sticks.  Minimal arm motion, quick flicks and rapid, repeated motions.  Tonfa are more often used for rapid thrusts and trapping maneuvers (at least in every demonstration I've ever seen.  Which admittedly does not cover every style that they may be used with)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 04:33:52 pm by NullForceOmega »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: March 27, 2017, 04:37:30 pm »

No, neo's got the right of it here, the 'finesse' method of fighting with light maces would look a lot like using a percussive instruments' sticks.  Minimal arm motion, quick flicks and rapid, repeated motions.  Tonfa are more often used for rapid thrusts and trapping maneuvers (at least in every demonstration I've ever seen.)

Let me see if I can find a video of someone using tonfa in a tokushu grip...

Bah, I can't find a good video on short notice. Tokushu-mochi is where you flip the tonfa and grip from the long end, making it into a very light hammer/hooked club.

I've only really played small drums, and the idea of trying to use light masses in the manner of minor drumsticks seems rather ridiculous .

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: March 27, 2017, 04:38:49 pm »

Well, a little less like traditional western drumsticks, more like other percussive hammers, still his analogy was rather apt, all things considered.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: March 27, 2017, 04:44:03 pm »

Well, a little less like traditional western drumsticks, more like other percussive hammers, still his analogy was rather apt, all things considered.

Fair play, just not my initial imagine of drumsticks, which are...

Wielding any weapon like that is a hilariously silly idea.
---

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: March 27, 2017, 05:18:31 pm »

Make it "use collapsible batons that way", and you have a real winner.

Now I want to try making a purely fantasy weapon class of "contact" wand weapons. Basically a magic wand that does not do ray damage, or area damage. Instead, the tip of the wand has a concentrated spell effect, akin to a hot poker-- but with any effect you can accomplish with magic. That way, finesse "drumming" somebody with one could be damned leathal. (I pokey the petrification wand RIGHT HERE, and BAM-- guy is dead instantly.) It is not how hard you hit, it is that you hit at all, and where you hit. Those would be true DEX type magic weapons. Imagine "pinpoint" application of a spell effect, on contact. (If it helps the imagination, a petrification wand of this type would have a small curl of falling dust falling off the end, as the tip of the wand interacts with the air in the room, turning it into stone- etc. Only the material that comes into literal contact with the tip of the wand gets affected.)

I suppose something similar already exists for special poisons on a shortblade, but that still requires actual penetration, which means dealing with armor. This would have the 'on contact' type effect of a touch range spell effect, but not require a magical proficiency from the user, just a weapon class proficiency. (Wands have a fixed effect, and number of contact charges. They are "just on", so dont need active channeling from a spellcaster. When they run out of juice, they need recharging though.)

Probably a silly idea though.  The whole idea is that while they do very little damage on touch, they are dex weapons, and can be used to touch repeatedly and precisely. (Think-- drummer doing a highspeed drumroll on somebody's head, but using these as drumsticks. That's several hundred strikes in one action point.)
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 623