Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845482 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: Axes or railguns?
« Reply #4620 on: November 03, 2017, 02:14:55 pm »

I made a post that might be relevant to people here.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4621 on: November 11, 2017, 12:57:40 am »

Taking this to the correct thread...

So I'm thinking life is probably going to stabilize a bit now.  Some sources of personal drama are gone.  Vehicles that were total'd are repaired or replaced.  We are moved into our new house.  Work is settling after the big re-structure of the office.  And I'm likely to start working from home soon for reals, which will enable me to cut back on some responsibilities and hours.  Goddamn what a fucking ridiculous year it's been.

And now that I'm here, I really want to find a weekend game to join up with.  I miss role-playing so much.  I don't think I'm likely to find anything local among friends.  Anybody got any good leads before I start randomly stumbling about the internet looking for one?

Going to try and avoid D&D/Pathfinder.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4622 on: November 11, 2017, 02:37:11 am »

So I'm thinking life is probably going to stabilize a bit now.  Some sources of personal drama are gone.  Vehicles that were total'd are repaired or replaced.  We are moved into our new house.  Work is settling after the big re-structure of the office.  And I'm likely to start working from home soon for reals, which will enable me to cut back on some responsibilities and hours.  Goddamn what a fucking ridiculous year it's been.

And now that I'm here, I really want to find a weekend game to join up with.  I miss role-playing so much.  I don't think I'm likely to find anything local among friends.  Anybody got any good leads before I start randomly stumbling about the internet looking for one?

Well, if you can, Paranoia just got a re-printing. That would be hilariously fun to play.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4623 on: November 11, 2017, 02:55:40 am »

I really wanna play Legend of the Five Rings or Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones).
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4624 on: November 11, 2017, 08:13:04 pm »

Well, if you can, Paranoia just got a re-printing. That would be hilariously fun to play.

You know, a Paranoia Straight campaign might be really fun, running from Troubleshooters (or infrareds-about-to-be-Troubleshooters) all the way through the High Programmers supplement.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 08:14:48 pm by Trekkin »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4625 on: November 11, 2017, 08:23:23 pm »

Not really familiar with Paranoia.  Had seen the name a few times, but that's it.  Just looked it up.  I want to get into a serious campaign with some longevity.  Paranoia doesn't read like it lends itself too well to that?
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4626 on: November 11, 2017, 08:27:02 pm »

Not really familiar with Paranoia.  Had seen the name a few times, but that's it.  Just looked it up.  I want to get into a serious campaign with some longevity.  Paranoia doesn't read like it lends itself too well to that?

Paranoia Classic and especially Zap do not, no; they're goofy and explosive and short. Paranoia Straight, on the other hand, is equal parts Kafkaesque and Orwellian; it's less about ray guns and mutant powers and more about surviving a bureaucratic hell run by an insane computer. The setting is always crazy, but when played straight it is also uniquely terrifying.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4627 on: November 11, 2017, 08:33:53 pm »

Oh man, and I was just about to suggest Maid RPG.

If you're looking for something more serious, Burning Wheel is always worth trying. Blades in the Dark if you can find it is well worth looking into as well.

That said, D&D games are a lot easier to find than either of those.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4628 on: November 11, 2017, 08:36:43 pm »

Burning Wheel and Eclipse Phase are the two games I most want to get into.  Burning Wheel because I'm enamoured with the mechanical design.  Eclipse Phase because I'm enamoured with the flavor and setting.

But yeah... I found the LFG subreddit, and it's 90% 5E :/

Most of it outside the D&D stuff on the bottom has been collected at Gencon over the years.  The only ones I've ever had the opportunity to play as more than a quick demo are D&D, White Wolf, Amber Diceless, and Call of Cthulhu.

I would consider D&D if I can find a Ravenloft game.... I love that setting.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 08:47:56 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4629 on: November 11, 2017, 08:54:32 pm »

Yeah, that's really the tragedy of it all. On the bright side, Curse of Strahd for 5E is a thing that's in with the kids now and that's Ravenloft, I'm fairly sure.

You could always try and run a Burning Wheel game, of course. Beneath the shitton of information it initially throws at you it's not really that complicated and a lot of what you can do with it tends to be blissfully optional depending on the kind of game you want to play. Granted, the Burning Wheel game I'm playing in that's given me that impression is admittedly a very talky as opposed to a fighty one.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4630 on: November 11, 2017, 09:00:35 pm »

I have little confidence in my ability as a GM.  I know that practice and failure are required to get past that, but that's something I'd rather get through with friends and family.  Tried running Burning Wheel for a few people when I first discovered it, and it was a disaster.  When it's been like 10 years since roleplay has routinely been a part of my life, I'd like to get rolling again as a player.  And while I think I can set aside a few hours every weekend now, I still don't have the time for prep work to run.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4631 on: November 11, 2017, 10:16:59 pm »

Burning Wheel and Eclipse Phase are the two games I most want to get into.  Burning Wheel because I'm enamoured with the mechanical design.  Eclipse Phase because I'm enamoured with the flavor and setting.

I've run Eclipse Phase before. The setting is amazing, provided you don't mind your science fiction riddled with outright magic like sleights and some of the nanotech. It's fine if you want a sort of far-future Shadowrun, but if you go in expecting diamong-hard sci-fi there are some things you won't like.

The system, on the other hand, can really let you down, in part because the sheer variety of options for stackable bonuses relative to the range of results it can generate makes it very easy to optimize to the minimum allowable failure chance for certain common actions. If you're running low-combat it's less of an issue (since there's fewer skills you know a priori you'll always use), but still, it might work better if you hack it to be open-ended.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4632 on: November 11, 2017, 10:18:24 pm »

Calculus and Anarchist PolSci: The Game.

Anybody here ever play GURPS: Transhuman Space? Eclipse Phase is clearly drawing inspiration from it, but it seems like it has easier crunch.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 10:20:16 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4633 on: November 11, 2017, 10:32:12 pm »

Wooooah there's a Chronicles of Amber roleplaying game??  Personal note to check *that* out later!  Is it any good?  We're playing 3.5e right now, but I'm kinda due to run another game sometime.

(I might need to reread some, though...  I read the books so long ago, and I think I only read the first... 3?  I stopped on a pretty apocalyptic and explanatory note, but there were more books apparently.)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4634 on: November 11, 2017, 10:45:57 pm »

Anybody here ever play GURPS: Transhuman Space? Eclipse Phase is clearly drawing inspiration from it, but it seems like it has easier crunch.

It does, yes; if you replaced brainpeeling with a nondestructive upload and propagated that change through, the settings would be broadly similar other than the status of Earth. I kind of liked Firewall, though, just as a default way to bring PCs together.
Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 623