Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 350 351 [352] 353 354 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845635 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: Arthropoid Martial Arts!
« Reply #5265 on: June 08, 2018, 04:35:42 pm »

Our 5e paladin just earned his mount, and we're still in a dungeon, so he chose a riding lizard.  He didn't use it yet (because we don't know how mounted combat works in 5e, heh) but it has a climbing speed and can attach to ceilings...

Is it that yipping bird-lizard from Kamino? ;)
Wow, it's funny you say that, because we're probably starting Star Wars (Edget of the Empire) next session.  I don't remember mentioning that...
The paladin is a dragonborn though, so a lizard mount seems appropriate (:
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5266 on: June 08, 2018, 07:37:40 pm »

Are you talking about a varactyl? They're actually from Utapau.

Yeah, those. I think I meant to say Geonosis but screwed up the name anyway.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5267 on: June 08, 2018, 07:52:36 pm »

Chewy does not live on Endor
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5268 on: June 10, 2018, 04:13:25 am »

I just finished a campaign for a group that would very much like another one, the only caveat being that no two players are going to be available at the same time for the foreseeable future. Additionally, everyone is somewhat tired of fantasy, and I have finally discovered how to reconcile their frequent requests for more combat with their continual reluctance to actually engage in violence: provided they don't actually see who they're slaughtering they're as entertainingly devious about it as they have been about everything else.

Taken in aggregate, this would suggest some kind of asynchronous play-by-email in which the PCs are at one remove from, and in theory directing, the sorts of things normal PCs do, since that's most of what they end up doing anyway and we may as well compress an entire catastrophemission/event into their orders and whatever fragmentary reports of the results reach back to them to save time. Espionage would seem to cater to their paranoia and love of having a plan to kill everyone they meet, but I haven't yet found a system designed for this sort of play, wherein the players are more M and/or Q than 007. Spymasters, I suppose. In the past, when I've run into an idea for which there is no system, that generally means it's a) ridiculously not fun b)already out there and I just haven't found it and/or c)needs no system anyway. Any thoughts on which it might be this time?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 04:23:37 am by Trekkin »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5269 on: June 10, 2018, 05:56:01 am »

Have you considered d) making one yourself? It sounds like a fun idea. I guess the thing you should be worried about is the players being too detached from the action. If their feedback consists of dry reports, it might not be engaging enough. Could write narrative things and little stories detailing the adventures of their agents and so, if that’s your kind of thing. Dunno if that’d work for your idea or group though.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5270 on: June 11, 2018, 01:51:51 am »

So, Free RPG Day is coming up this Saturday!
No, I didn't know it was a thing either, until recently. To be honest I'm not sure how exciting the idea of a bunch of mini-sessions really is, but I'll go along anyway. Always nice to play even a little bit, and who knows, I might meet folks to start playing more regularly with.

Not sure what games to go with, though... there are tables for 5th Ed, AD&D, Vampire the Masquerade and something called Genesys in a 40k setting.
I had kinda hoped "Genesys" was some new 40k RPG I hadn't heard of (because dang, their rulesets are great), but the organiser just got back to me and apparently it's just a generic d20 system. Oh well.

Any suggestions? Also, if any of you Melbourne Bay12ers are reading this, come along! :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5271 on: June 11, 2018, 02:34:51 am »

Not sure what games to go with, though... there are tables for 5th Ed, AD&D, Vampire the Masquerade and something called Genesys in a 40k setting.
I had kinda hoped "Genesys" was some new 40k RPG I hadn't heard of (because dang, their rulesets are great), but the organiser just got back to me and apparently it's just a generic d20 system. Oh well.

Genesys is from FFG. It uses funky dice like pretty much all of their games (Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3e, Edge of the Empire, and more).

As for 40k... Wrath & Glory is supposed to come out at Gen Con. That's a bit far for an Aussie to just go do for a weekend but it'll be available on DriveThruRPG so there's that. Here's a webcomic, if that's your kind of thing.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5272 on: June 11, 2018, 06:10:37 am »

I am disappointed that Paizo's coming to Brisbane for a three day Pathfinder convention and I'm gonna miss it due to work. Sucks to be the one in charge, but comes with the paycheck I suppose.

Hope the rest of my crew enjoy a weekend of gaming!

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5273 on: June 11, 2018, 10:38:01 am »

Have you considered d) making one yourself? It sounds like a fun idea. I guess the thing you should be worried about is the players being too detached from the action. If their feedback consists of dry reports, it might not be engaging enough. Could write narrative things and little stories detailing the adventures of their agents and so, if that’s your kind of thing. Dunno if that’d work for your idea or group though.

That is what I'm doing, yes. Asking how the entire enterprise might be summarily dismissed and mocked was a precautionary step to help increase the chances that, in the event I want advice on the system later, it will be summarily dismissed with marginally more informative mockery.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5274 on: June 11, 2018, 12:03:38 pm »

As for 40k... Wrath & Glory is supposed to come out at Gen Con. That's a bit far for an Aussie to just go do for a weekend but it'll be available on DriveThruRPG so there's that. Here's a webcomic, if that's your kind of thing.
Oh man, attending Gencon has been pretty much a lifelong dream of mine.
Hmmm... I think I'll probably stick with the old games, with decent mechanics, haha. Pretty nice art in the comic, though! Been too long since I've gotten up to any 40k shenanigans. Maybe next time I have money to burn I should grab a rulebook, as opposed to the PDFs I have mouldering digitally away somewhere...

I ended up booking for three sessions on Saturday: 5e in the morning, that Genesys thing in the afternoon, and that weird edgy goth game in the evening. Do I need to wear my black trench coat for such an activity?
Aaaaah what have I let myself in for? That's like, several hours of social interaction. o_o Maybe I'll have some bright-and-early beers beforehand.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 07:02:42 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5275 on: June 12, 2018, 07:02:44 am »

I think I'll probably stick with the old games, with decent mechanics, haha.

That's the first I've heard any of the 40k RPGs, even the later ones with a bunch of the foibles of the earlier versions fixed, described as having decent mechanics.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5276 on: June 18, 2018, 10:35:25 pm »

5e. We just dinged to level 5. Pandora's Box has opened and I don't know where to go first. So many cool Bard spells.

Bestow Curse, Catnap, Dispel Magic, Enemies Abound, Fear, Hypnotic Pattern, Stinking Cloud,

Spoiler: Obligatory OotS (click to show/hide)

I may have sold myself on Glyph of Warding. In addition to Explosive Rune shenanigans, Ako is a fabulous bard. Spell Glyphing a neener-neener Vicious Mockery onto chests and other openables is exactly up my alley.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 10:40:50 pm by Mephisto »

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5277 on: June 19, 2018, 06:35:39 am »

"And the academy award for best bard goes to..."

*Opens envelope*

Reminds me of an encounter I had prepped for my group I never ended up using, involving a letter delivered via courier imbued with explosive runes, and a bunch of cultists hidden in a crowd waiting for the boom as their signal to attack.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5278 on: June 19, 2018, 08:03:28 am »

Sad thing is, Glyph of Warding is less versatile in 5e. If you cast it on "an object", that object can only be moved 10 feet from that point before the spell fizzles. The other option is casting it on "a surface", I think the intention is for it to be completely immobile.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5279 on: June 19, 2018, 08:27:15 am »

What if you teleport it - ie it has not technically moved at all?
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 [352] 353 354 ... 623