Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 444 445 [446] 447 448 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1685115 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #6675 on: July 19, 2018, 01:45:39 pm »

It looks like a good compromise - keeping the buildings/upgrades, but without the endless tile management.

As I said before though, my issue is what they'll put in the place of that - without it, Stellaris is a pretty empty game, so if they don't add extra systems then it'll be even more fast forwarding than before.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6676 on: July 19, 2018, 01:55:26 pm »

It looks like a good compromise - keeping the buildings/upgrades, but without the endless tile management.

As I said before though, my issue is what they'll put in the place of that - without it, Stellaris is a pretty empty game, so if they don't add extra systems then it'll be even more fast forwarding than before.

At a guess, they'll keep churning out story packs and race/trait/ascension expansions.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6677 on: July 19, 2018, 02:06:23 pm »

I'm curious on what the planet size signifies now. Obviously it isn't a 1:1 pop:planet-size anymore, but it must mean something still; it's still there in the top-right corner of the planet viewscreen.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6678 on: July 19, 2018, 02:10:58 pm »

Looks like it might function as some kind of development cap, possibly population.  Just a guess, could be wrong.

On second look I think it has to do with a max number of developed regions (basically tiles) that are currently in use.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 02:12:30 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6679 on: July 19, 2018, 02:15:06 pm »

It at least looks like the mechanical effects from tiles are still there, since there still appear to be deposits, tile blockers of a sort and what looks like parceling out the planet's available space into the districts.

Presumably the next DLC will include the galactic trade markets and maybe diplomacy, but how that will interact with anything else is always speculation.  Supposedly their philosophy is to avoid having DLCs interact much so you're not required to get one before the other, so maybe some of the core features will make it to the base game like ascension perks did.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6680 on: July 19, 2018, 02:17:07 pm »

I'm curious on what the planet size signifies now. Obviously it isn't a 1:1 pop:planet-size anymore, but it must mean something still; it's still there in the top-right corner of the planet viewscreen.

I see the little squares below each district (which at a guess are urban, mining, farming, and manufacturing) which have some filled in and a maximum. My guess is that those squares represent the size of that particular district, and you can have no more than a per-district maximum and a total maximum of whatever the planet size is. It looks like you can deliberately develop the mining, farming, and manufacturing, while urban is probably a function of the planet's population. I'm not sure what to make of the terrain pictures below that though. Maybe it affects building costs and growth speed, being easier to develop into the river and plains areas and longer for the swamps, jungles, and mountains; but that seems to just be the same old tile system but with different presentation. There's a "deposits" tab too, maybe it mainly has an effect on that? Who knows.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6681 on: July 19, 2018, 02:34:46 pm »

So now pops will have actual reasons to join factions.  The rulers will probably lean authoritarian and the lower classes egalitarian, for example.  Researchers materialist, ect.  So if you want to do a bunch of research you probably shouldn't be fanatic spiritualist.  Cause then you'll get a powerful materialist faction.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6682 on: July 19, 2018, 02:49:09 pm »

I sure hope so.  Reminder that they *sorta* have that already, in that research treaties make both sides more materialist, but it's such a slight effect.

I have a lot of hope for this new system, particularly with the screenshots.  I'm particularly excited to get rid of the "granularity" of multispecies planets.  I seem to remember multiple species immigrating to a planet at once, denying multiple tiles for the duration.  Though if only one species can immigrate at a time, that's *also* a weird gamey problem.

And then each species lives in their ghettos doing specific things - but don't choose the things they're best at.  I feel like this will reduce the tedium of genemodding and slavery especially, and buff open-boarders multiculturalism, simply by removing the micromanagement of miner-onto-minerals.

Oh, robots too - really this buffs everything except devourers/purgers, and even with those I bet the occupation/annihilation process will be less gamey.  *clearly* the best way to purge a planet of xenos is to ship them throughout your empire.  "We don't budget for the dead", but we do give them expedited delivery to places other than "the nearest star".
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6683 on: July 19, 2018, 06:23:05 pm »

I feel that CK2's less about winning, and more about the experience of things happening. Stellaris is a bit more... "gamey", in that nothing much really happens beyond you going out there and making it happen.
That and the perspective is radically different

CK2 you manage interpersonal relationships and it's entirely possible (and imo the absolute best way to play) as an "ordinary" noble adapting around the momentous and mundane changes of history. Conquerors come and go, but the house survives. Stellaris you manage at an impersonal distance indifferent to your pops except where their productivity or the limits of your central authority are tested - but I daresay the absolute lack of sliders does not give the same sense of joy of managing a sprawling Empire through policy executed by underlings and more the sense of an omniscient manager exasperated at the inability of sector governors to meet the perfect demands of You. The move towards space Viccy is much appreciated

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #6684 on: July 19, 2018, 07:06:13 pm »

I guess it's harder to have convincing interpersonal interactions in a game spanning a whole galaxy than in a game focusing on a single continent.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6685 on: July 19, 2018, 07:34:46 pm »

That would make sense, but galaxy-spanning sci-fi stories tend to have manageable numbers of characters who shape the fate of trillions of people, if you think about it.  It's the same basic idea, just different scaling.

I've been rereading Shlock Mercenary recently which is a pretty clear example, to the point that the main cast has basically ascended to godhood of our galaxy now.  Clinically immortal, largely reincarnateable, and calling favors from the defacto ruler of Terran space and the AI fighting a war with Andromeda.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6686 on: July 19, 2018, 09:21:48 pm »

Yeah, the background scale (100 men vs 1.2 million men) doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the immediate scale (3 generals each with their own personalities vs 12 generals each with their own personalities).

The bigger issue is that in ck2, your exact position is highly fluid, whereas in Stellaris you are almost always the Supreme Leader of your entire species. That walls off large portions of ck2 or space opera style shenanigans, because everything is way more absolute from your perspective.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6687 on: July 20, 2018, 07:21:01 am »

they really need to do a better job of implementing ck2 in stellaris. you pick the feudal civic, your entire leader slot system switches to a character-driven bloodline system, there are titles for planets and sectors and vassals, they have to be revoked just like ck2, etc etc. if spiritual you can holy war for a constellation (these are used to generate the map but little else, i think?), etc. and there's an event that forces you to cede a star system to the space pope. also just go ahead and port in all the ck2 stats and traits. why not. i'm not drunk.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #6688 on: July 20, 2018, 03:22:35 pm »

Yes, let's make stellaris a better game by just copying a better game's design over it. :P
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6689 on: July 20, 2018, 03:43:40 pm »

Yes, let's make stellaris a better game by just copying a better game's design over it. :P
Pretty much game design 101 there, yeah. Unapologetic wholesale copying of successful games.
Pages: 1 ... 444 445 [446] 447 448 ... 632