Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1686862 times)

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #630 on: December 15, 2015, 02:13:50 pm »

Definitely going defensive shepherd-civilization.

All the protectorates.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: December 15, 2015, 02:25:57 pm »

I like the concept in Aurora, where incompetents can be promoted above more competent officers cause of political proficiency.  That is if you don't micro that yourself or simply turn it off. 
But then I don't expect Stellaris to have anything like that... what with there being no sense of hierarchy, just positions.

I'd probably mod life-span to be 9999 years.  Especially if there is no option to auto-place characters.  Can't be arsed to personally replace people everytime someone croaks cause old, if they have no agency other then 'be appointed and do job'.

Gonna commit all the atrocities.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: December 15, 2015, 02:29:52 pm »

I think the leaders have personal ethics and if they disagree with the choices you make, there might be !!FUN!! as a result.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: December 15, 2015, 02:39:30 pm »

I think the leaders have personal ethics and if they disagree with the choices you make, there might be !!FUN!! as a result.
That is fine.  It is much more interesting to make an example of them rather then dealing with positions emptying on their own.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: December 15, 2015, 04:07:03 pm »

I'm really disappointed that they're not doing more complex characters. Whilst I didn't expect it to be CK2 level, I expected them to be pretty fleshed out compared to the current ones which look 100% 4x standard.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: December 15, 2015, 04:26:54 pm »

I'm really disappointed that they're not doing more complex characters. Whilst I didn't expect it to be CK2 level, I expected them to be pretty fleshed out compared to the current ones which look 100% 4x standard.
What would be more interesting are characters that are outside of your control.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: December 15, 2015, 04:50:52 pm »

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away....
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 04:52:39 pm by gimli »

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #637 on: December 15, 2015, 04:52:46 pm »

"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away....",
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"It's not appropriate" seems like an understatement.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: December 15, 2015, 05:23:54 pm »

ITS NOT APPROPRIATE!!!

I had honestly thought the extra character development would have been one thing to really give this a one up over all other space 4x's.
In pretty much every space 4x, all the races play the same other than slightly different tech and ships (plus maybe a few modifiers on planet types and whatever). Having real, tangible differences in the way the different races politics and culture works (similar to how CK2's do) would have been incredible.

Even without that, having more fleshed out relationships for things like civil wars would have really helped give things a sense of late game purpose.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: December 16, 2015, 01:27:33 am »

Fleshing out characters seems like something to save for DLCs though. It is not essential for the main game to work, but a nice addition that can be done later while opening new vistas for mod development.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: December 16, 2015, 12:18:18 pm »

ITS NOT APPROPRIATE!!!

I had honestly thought the extra character development would have been one thing to really give this a one up over all other space 4x's.
In pretty much every space 4x, all the races play the same other than slightly different tech and ships (plus maybe a few modifiers on planet types and whatever). Having real, tangible differences in the way the different races politics and culture works (similar to how CK2's do) would have been incredible.

Even without that, having more fleshed out relationships for things like civil wars would have really helped give things a sense of late game purpose.

Hehe. I am not against anything like that, it would be good to have an interesting character subsystem, which works properly on a galactic level. However I am not sure that what should be added [in an expansion]....afterall CK2 had a strong focus on internal politics [rebels, factions, families etc.].
You have mentioned civil wars for example. It can be triggered by an event...yeah it sounds crap, primitive & random, but I doubt that we will have internal politics in Stellaris. It would be awesome to have that, but well...it is a very complex system. We can just only hope that they will work on stuff like this after v1.0. It is possible, but who knows that what do they have in mind. [I say it again: there are more important subsystems in a game like this. If those are "proper enough" they can enhance the game with adding content like internal politics for example.]
PS.
I think they already know that what will be added in the first 2-3 expansions.   ;)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 12:30:25 pm by gimli »

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: December 16, 2015, 01:28:33 pm »

I doubt that we will have internal politics in Stellaris.

Character-based, no, probably not. But they already said that various populations will have their own ethics, something like Vicky 2 had with ideologies/parties/whatever it was called. So I imagine that's going to have some in-game effects that I'd consider internal politics, all the way up to revolutions or rebellions, unless they've said otherwise.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: December 16, 2015, 01:36:13 pm »

*Insert more words about making an officer system similar to Aurora's auto-rank/place.*  Then add in at minimum CK2 level internal politics.  (Would be interesting if population units could become loyal to characters too... or vice versa.)

Won't be a default setting... just shunt it off to its own government policies which the player/ai would need to enact/choose if they want it...

DLC

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #643 on: December 16, 2015, 01:58:04 pm »

Would be interesting if population units could become loyal to characters too
Do you want Space Hitler?
Because this is how you get Space Hitler.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: December 16, 2015, 02:00:25 pm »

Just read the last diary about primitive civilizations, that was really nice. Uplifting and integrating them to your empire in particular sounds great and flavorful. I hope we can have uplifted medieval civilization to form your shock troops for invasion. Doubtful since it seem they become protectorate and semi-autonomous, but we'll see.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 632