Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1679469 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #2715 on: May 29, 2016, 06:23:38 pm »

Yeah, that's two people who've had that happen now. Which means that those "you lose" scenarios are a thing that can happen, best case just a bug that will be ironed out, worst case its working as intended and sometimes you just get ayylmao'd.

Also Flying Dice? Since you seem to be the resident codemonkey for this, is there a way to increase total warscore? I.E. 200 instead of 100 total? Would be GREAT if you could tie that into alliances, that each member increases your total conquest ability.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: May 29, 2016, 08:44:20 pm »

Well, since Grieger's experience mirrors my own (with the exception of the vacate or else message), only a few pages prior, then I'd say that you are either wrong or the game has substantial glitches when it comes to handling that behavior.
Oh, the AI is bugged to shit. It's just that certain types of FE being assholes that attack you with little or no provocation is more or less intended, it's just that it happens when it shouldn't.

That said, I normally maintain a total exclusion zone around all FEs just as a matter of principle. It makes sense both OOC and IC.

Yeah, that's two people who've had that happen now. Which means that those "you lose" scenarios are a thing that can happen, best case just a bug that will be ironed out, worst case its working as intended and sometimes you just get ayylmao'd.

Also Flying Dice? Since you seem to be the resident codemonkey for this, is there a way to increase total warscore? I.E. 200 instead of 100 total? Would be GREAT if you could tie that into alliances, that each member increases your total conquest ability.
I'll look through the files when I get a chance. No clue how it would work though, I'm totally mucking around blind.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: May 29, 2016, 09:59:14 pm »

I would like to see a "balanced start" option, common in these procedurally generated 4X games. Meaning that there are a certain number of minerals, energy credits and science points in your home system (and maybe one or two others nearby) regardless of where you start. This would make for a bit more balanced game in the long run, as I can't tell you how many games I've had to abandon due to lack of decent colonizable worlds nearby, or a complete lack of mine-able resources (or even stars) in my starting influence.

It should also spawn Fallen Empires at least a few systems away at minimum. They should be the danger lurking in the dark, not the "oh shit, these guys were here the whole time?" sort of deal. I had one game where my home system was practically in the border of a xenophobic isolationist FE that I had to abandon after discovering, but a multitude of games that have not.

The random generator is just too... random at times.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 10:01:09 pm by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: May 29, 2016, 10:04:28 pm »

In other Paradox games you can intervene in wars. I hope they add that in later patches, perhaps tie it into certain ethos and/or government and make it a policy choice. It would be nice to be able to play galactic police and sometimes be aided by others when you are being bullied. You can guarantee independence now, but that is different from intervening in already existing wars.
And more generally, things like sanctions or forbidding tourism or the like in response to specific things would do a lot to make the universe feel more alive. Somebody declares war, you declare your citizens are no longer permitted to trade with them as a result of said warmongering, another empire decides their people are no longer to visit your empire and vice versa as a result of this preachy meddling, a third empire decides its holdings are now sanctuaries and refueling points for any of your empire's vessels as a result of "standing up" to those assholes, etc.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: May 30, 2016, 12:17:41 am »

I hope we get better political and diplomatic interactions in the future. Federations are screaming for a DLC, for example. There should be different type of federations with policies of their own and forming a federation should include talks on what these policies are. For example, is the leader elected in a popular election or circulated among the members or what, does the federation tax the population, who pays for the federal fleet and so forth. I think federations should share anomalies and anomaly results too, making it easier to achieve the precursor quest line, for example.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: May 30, 2016, 12:49:18 am »

I don't think anomaly exists previous scanning.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: May 30, 2016, 03:39:20 am »

They don't. However game use static seed, so savescumming will not work. Also you should investigate anomaly as soon as it's discovered because there is max number of anomalies active in system (1, with exceptions).

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: May 30, 2016, 06:02:22 am »

Woot? I've found three anomalies in the same system.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: May 30, 2016, 06:43:29 am »

It does weird me out a bit seeing my guys regularly scoot around black hole singularities like it's nothing
Black holes are actually only a problem if you get really close. You can still orbit them like nothing, it's just gravity.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: May 30, 2016, 09:08:03 am »

Active, not discoverable. If you find one and click the "we'll deal with this later" button, you won't find any others when you survey the rest of the system.

3. Run Resize Enable

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: May 30, 2016, 09:45:23 am »

They don't. However game use static seed, so savescumming will not work. Also you should investigate anomaly as soon as it's discovered because there is max number of anomalies active in system (1, with exceptions).
In my hard game i was save scumming for result, and i can swear i saw splattercat choosing we will deal with this later and had a bunch on wait till he leveled his scientists.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: May 30, 2016, 10:41:02 am »

Active, not discoverable. If you find one and click the "we'll deal with this later" button, you won't find any others when you survey the rest of the system.
That doesn't seem right. I know I've found multiple anomalies in systems before, even when leaving them alone for later.

And even if I'm somehow wrong and you're describing how the game is supposed to be, it's still stupid. Finding an anomaly with a high chance of failure early in a system survey means you're screwed out of surveying the rest of the system, unless you want anomalies and are willing to risk your valuable science ship and scientist. Valuable, of course, being a relative term depending on how far into the game you are.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: May 30, 2016, 11:13:11 am »

That doesn't seem right. I know I've found multiple anomalies in systems before, even when leaving them alone for later.

And even if I'm somehow wrong and you're describing how the game is supposed to be, it's still stupid. Finding an anomaly with a high chance of failure early in a system survey means you're screwed out of surveying the rest of the system, unless you want anomalies and are willing to risk your valuable science ship and scientist. Valuable, of course, being a relative term depending on how far into the game you are.
Maybe. I honestly don't know how some of their systems work, I'm just remembering my current campaign where I had something like ten systems that only yielded one after I set the first one to wait.

The thing to do to test it would be to jack up the anomaly spawn chance really high and then survey some systems without investigating any.

3. Run Resize Enable

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: May 30, 2016, 11:55:17 am »

same here. I rarely explore anomalies before my scientists reach 5 stars and yet I still find several active ones in one system.
It just doesn't happen often because anomalies aren't that common.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: May 30, 2016, 12:10:05 pm »

I would like to see a "balanced start" option, common in these procedurally generated 4X games. Meaning that there are a certain number of minerals, energy credits and science points in your home system (and maybe one or two others nearby) regardless of where you start. This would make for a bit more balanced game in the long run, as I can't tell you how many games I've had to abandon due to lack of decent colonizable worlds nearby, or a complete lack of mine-able resources (or even stars) in my starting influence.

It should also spawn Fallen Empires at least a few systems away at minimum. They should be the danger lurking in the dark, not the "oh shit, these guys were here the whole time?" sort of deal. I had one game where my home system was practically in the border of a xenophobic isolationist FE that I had to abandon after discovering, but a multitude of games that have not.

The random generator is just too... random at times.

I've started up about 4 different games, and for the first two I was enjoying the randomness. The third kinda screwed me over, but I was ok with it as it was 'challenging' the fourth has been just awful. My two neighbors were just way, way bigger than I was and so I was just sort of trapped and had to abandon the game.

The problem is that the start is SO important - once you get behind you can't really get out of it (which is a problem in itself). It's just way too linear at the moment - with CK2 you could have a few turns of good fortune and go from doing ok to great, and similarly you could be doing well and get dealt a bad blow every now and then. It sometimes felt harsh, but you could sort of learn to prepare for it, whereas with Stellaris it's just 'hope you get a good start'.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 632