Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1679420 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #3060 on: July 18, 2016, 08:57:38 pm »

I've done it a couple times with empires that have useless pops, and whose resources I don't need or wouldn't be worth the frontier/planets it would take to control them. Spawns a new empire that basically loves you, shove them into your alliance and ignore them from then on out.

Edit: Philippines (though it was a colony transfer instead of a war), (West) Germany, Japan, South Korea, Cuba for a while, all the Banana Republics (though it wasn't so much ethics for those last two as it was puppeting)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3061 on: July 18, 2016, 08:59:31 pm »

The closest they've ever got to something like that is Japan and I think many people would agree with me when I say they got a little bit... Odd, after the nukes.
I dunno, Japan and the US are both pretty Xenophobic and Individualist. Japan didn't pick up on the 'States militarism possibly because they're not allowed a proper army.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: July 18, 2016, 09:03:33 pm »

I've used Liberation a few times. Doesn't it spawn an empire with your ethos? If your opponent is small enough, you can liberate their whole empire into a different one that matches your ethics perfectly.

It's very America.
?

I can't think of a single time America has managed this in history.

The closest they've ever got to something like that is Japan and I think many people would agree with me when I say they got a little bit... Odd, after the nukes.
I was talking mostly about the "Shoving our culture down their throat with a jackboot" style of ideological warfare. To be fair, that's mostly any Great Power, but America is most famous for it since the countries we give our culture are then free to mock us.

I think this game should expand on culture quite a bit more. CKII had dynastic gameplay, EUIV had the government and Territory theming, Vicky had the economy (you fools!), and HoI has modern warfare, but Stellaris doesn't really have a shtick. I think that's part of the reason the game feels so crap compared to the other games paradox makes.

I dunno, Japan and the US are both pretty Xenophobic and Individualist. Japan didn't pick up on the 'States militarism possibly because they're not allowed a proper army.
I'd argue the U.S is Fanatic Individualist and Xenophile, rather. Our thing tends to be stealing things from other countries, and most people here like partaking in other cultures. There's a strong Xenophobic minority, but I think the overall tilt is xenophilic.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3063 on: July 18, 2016, 10:29:34 pm »

I'd argue the U.S is Fanatic Individualist and Xenophile, rather. Our thing tends to be stealing things from other countries, and most people here like partaking in other cultures. There's a strong Xenophobic minority, but I think the overall tilt is xenophilic.
Quote from: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-03-07/americans-really-don-t-like-immigration-new-survey-finds
Sixty-one percent of Americans agree that "continued immigration into the country jeopardizes the United States,"
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: July 19, 2016, 12:39:04 am »

I can't believe you guys just completely ignored the most obvious ethos of the United States.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I mean... c'mon!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: July 19, 2016, 12:46:58 am »

"Defense".

Yeah, Fanatic Militarist sounds better.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: July 19, 2016, 07:34:43 am »

Fanatic militarist xenophobes?

Is the Imperium of Man just the successor to the USA?
Fanatic militarist spiritualist.  Pledge of allegiance and dollar bills got mad reelijun in them.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: July 19, 2016, 10:11:17 am »

Quote from: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-03-07/americans-really-don-t-like-immigration-new-survey-finds
Sixty-one percent of Americans agree that "continued immigration into the country jeopardizes the United States,"
That same article points out several other polls in which the majority of respondents believed immigration strengthened the United States. One poll does not make the entire United States Xenophobic. There's a lot more in favor of the US being Xenophile, all you have to do is go to a city and wander around looking for restaurants to see that.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: July 19, 2016, 10:19:24 am »

Fanatic militarist xenophobes?

Is the Imperium of Man just the successor to the USA?
Fanatic militarist spiritualist.  Pledge of allegiance and dollar bills got mad reelijun in them.

The pledge of allegiance thing is relatively new (historically speaking). Spiritualism in the US comes in waves. I'd say Fanatic Militarist+Individualist fits better.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: July 19, 2016, 11:02:33 am »

I'd say just have very high ethics divergence, and pick whatever you need to get a government type that boosts that (if there is one). There's no one philosophy that all people abide by, even all people in just one country.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: July 19, 2016, 11:42:07 am »

Fanatic Militarist + Individualist

or

Fanatic Militarist + Materialist

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: July 19, 2016, 12:03:47 pm »

Fanatic Fanatics + Highly Illogical

Why don't these choices exist??
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: July 19, 2016, 12:15:15 pm »

Fanatic Materialism + Military

The US has done a lot to gain access to strategic resources.  The military is just one means of many to further the materialist goals.   Capitalism Ho!
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3073 on: July 19, 2016, 12:19:15 pm »

I think expanding on space culture and shit is definitely in need of doing. Especially since Stellaris could use with some ideological subversive warfare. I mean, we got mind control satellites, but we can't use them offensively? Realistically the notion of interstellar warfare should be one where all reasonable statesmen/fungoids would look for alternative paths to victory, as a world where nuclear missiles are standard ammunition is not one you want to risk losing (if orbital bombardment actually did anything ffs). That we can't spend influence to influence and subvert rival pops to make them follow your ethos with Solarwood vidya games or something is a right travesty xD
Then you can have options to block out transmissions from other Empires (upsets xenophiles, don't get any bonuses from research deals) or keep transmissions open (upsets xenophobes, allows subversion but gives bonuses to research on tech from neighbouring speshhliens on tech you haven't researched). How sick would it be to plant psi-warriors for example, and have them mind control a planet into your Empire?

Also on an unrelated note, it is quite sad that you can't release feral xenomorphs onto a planet in some sort of biological atrocity that populates a planet with angry xenomorphs.

The US has done a lot to gain access to strategic resources.  The military is just one means of many to further the materialist goals.   Capitalism Ho!
USA is probably fanatic individualist + materialist
Fanatic individualists have more ethic divergence and could allow for divergence into the paths of isolation, globalization, nationalism, pacifism, militiarism and such it has fluctuated with
+materialist cos money yo

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: July 19, 2016, 03:26:06 pm »

That's not what Materialism is about in Stellaris. Materialism is about denying that anything exists outside of the material world, as opposed to spiritualism, which, in Stellaris, posits that consciousness or spirit begets reality.

There's no way that the USA is materialist in Stellaris terms. In fact no human civilization would be materialist in Stellaris terms, except perhaps the EU.
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 632