Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1679332 times)

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #3270 on: September 02, 2016, 11:02:32 am »

There aren't going to be religions in this game, thankfully.

Why thankfully? I can only see galaxy wide strategic layer as a good thing. I could see it working similarly to how 'culture' works in SoaSE, in that it starts with you and spreads to other empires, giving you bonuses in those areas to which it had spread.

Because we already have ethics and ethics divergence, which are exactly a galaxy-wide strategic layer that does everything you just described.

And the game is already 100% rubber forhead aliens with no discernible difference from humans. It doesn't need to be MORE that way.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 11:05:03 am by ZeroGravitas »

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: September 02, 2016, 12:15:01 pm »

Because we already have ethics and ethics divergence, which are exactly a galaxy-wide strategic layer that does everything you just described.

And the game is already 100% rubber forhead aliens with no discernible difference from humans. It doesn't need to be MORE that way.

I wouldn't say it does that at all - at the very least I see it as improving on ethics. Currently ethics makes aliens just 'xenophobic' or 'militaristic'  - why are they xenophobic? One possibility would be the belief of religious providence. Why are they pacifists? Religious laws. Can those laws be broken under certain conditions? If I join that religion will they turn against me if I break those laws? etc.

CK2 has all sorts of things like HRE and crusades, which you can't really have with just 'spiritualist' or 'xenophobic'. I get what they were trying to do with the abstraction, but it misses a whole layer of interest and reduces aliens to being pretty bland. 

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: September 02, 2016, 12:29:09 pm »

I'd love to see an expanded version of CiV's Gods And Kings expansion brought to Stellaris. Being able to actually build your religion from the ground up, rather than picking between Space Christianity and Space Buddhism, would be pretty sweet and allow for plenty of difference between different spiritualist Empires. Plus, this would open the door for spin-off sects to emerge and you'd be able to decide what to do about them.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: September 02, 2016, 12:46:24 pm »

Suppose they could have it so that religions all have different 'parts', that AI will randomly pick, excluding contradictory ones, so you can't wind up with a super pacifistic religion that allows crusades or something.
Probably they could do a crusade under certain conditions when one thinks about it. If for example one does not think of other aliens as 'people' and harming 'people' is the only concern.

There tends to be a reason, justification, or otherwise for certain hypocrisies in various things, even for such.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: September 02, 2016, 06:25:21 pm »

Suppose they could have it so that religions all have different 'parts', that AI will randomly pick, excluding contradictory ones, so you can't wind up with a super pacifistic religion that allows crusades or something.
Not allowing religions to contradict themselves is unrealistic.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

JumpingJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3275 on: September 02, 2016, 08:58:17 pm »

I'd love to see an expanded version of CiV's Gods And Kings expansion brought to Stellaris. Being able to actually build your religion from the ground up, rather than picking between Space Christianity and Space Buddhism, would be pretty sweet and allow for plenty of difference between different spiritualist Empires. Plus, this would open the door for spin-off sects to emerge and you'd be able to decide what to do about them.
My thoughts exactly. Then at least that random event with the cultists could be more involved and dynamic. For instance: the prevailing religion in a player's empire could be a death cult, and the "cultists" that you have to hunt down are actually pacifists. Call the Inquisition! Also, as you said with the differing sects, just imagine what a sudden schism could do to an empire.

Not allowing religions to contradict themselves is unrealistic.
Religionists, rather. :P
I'M NOT HERE TO CHAT, I'M HERE TO DANCE OVER YOUR DEFEAT.
Imagine how much more exciting the dinosaur exhibits would be if we had necromancers.
Sigtext

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3276 on: September 02, 2016, 09:02:11 pm »

Religionistas?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3277 on: September 02, 2016, 09:13:41 pm »

you know, i was actually more excited about the diplomacy crisis than religion

damn cans of worms
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3278 on: September 03, 2016, 12:02:06 am »

Well, I modded my game enough to want to play it, I've got some cool snakeman slaves, and now I have a persistent crash at a specific time. Back to waiting for the game to get good, I guess.
I believe the only way you could do it would be to give a player pursuing it a very different set of rules, or a strong chance for all sorts of disasters/end game events occurring from pursuing it.
That actually sounds a lot like the quest victory in Fallen Enchantress. For more complicated stuff, I like that Galactic Civilizations (at least 2, I haven't extensively played 3) actually had ascension function in a sort of "king of the hill" manner: You seized and controlled specific points and built bases around them to harvest their divinity (or something). It didn't make a lot of conceptual sense, but the gameplay mechanic worked fine. Now, in Stellaris this could actually work better, because divinity and religion and psionics all go together, and there's also a trait system. So you could get a holy special resource somewhere, and not only would it be a ticker to victory (as in GalCiv2) but it might lead to new psionic traits for your pops or empire, making ascension something that's valuable even if not pursued all the way to its conclusion. There could even be a balance: Spend the ascension resource to make your pops godly, using an addition to the UI for genetic modification, or save it all up for when you unlock ascension, and bring your whole empire beyond the need for physical form all at once.

yeah. I've been trying to come up with some way to make a science victory condition interesting from a mechanical perspective.

All good ideas - I feel that scientific victories could actually be made very interesting just by making it an almost 50/50 chance of going disastrously wrong. It'd be a bit of a gamble (or desperation move in some cases) and you'd definitely need to risk tackling particular AI players who decided to pursue it.

That, plus factional outbreaks and you'd have a pretty good end game condition!
Regarding AI, they could take only the non-slave pops from their founding race (or races eligible for leadership positions, to support more egalitarian empires) and the others get left behind. Then just set some events to make the remnants of the empire collapse into warring factions (new empires, each one at war with each other and with custom war goals as necessary) and you've got a major political event that keeps the game interesting and fun.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #3279 on: September 06, 2016, 11:09:32 am »

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-44-space-creature-rework.967310/

New Dev Diary about reworking space creatures to be less out of nowhere.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3280 on: September 06, 2016, 12:02:39 pm »

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-44-space-creature-rework.967310/

They don't mention this, but more important than being out of nowhere, I think it's important that this staggers the content. So you won't be overwhelmed by finding almost all of the creatures at once, and then nothing after the early game, but as you expand and explore you'll find more monsters over time.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3281 on: September 06, 2016, 12:06:16 pm »

They don't mention this, but more important than being out of nowhere, I think it's important that this staggers the content. So you won't be overwhelmed by finding almost all of the creatures at once, and then nothing after the early game, but as you expand and explore you'll find more monsters over time.

Yeah I was very, very pleased with this dev blog. It's exactly the kind of changes that I was hoping for, and they seem to really have a good handle on where it needs to go.
More than that, it gives a lot of scope for fleshing out the middle game - especially if you don't have any wars you want to fight. Whilst I sorta wish they'd tackle some of the bigger issues (diplomacy, being able to be a 'peaceful' faction, trade, etc.) I think they're really pushing it in the right direction.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3282 on: September 06, 2016, 12:19:50 pm »

That is very good news. The rewards from space critters (aside from the crystal armor stuff) were by and large useless.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3283 on: September 06, 2016, 12:22:46 pm »

Yeah I was very, very pleased with this dev blog. It's exactly the kind of changes that I was hoping for, and they seem to really have a good handle on where it needs to go.
More than that, it gives a lot of scope for fleshing out the middle game - especially if you don't have any wars you want to fight. Whilst I sorta wish they'd tackle some of the bigger issues (diplomacy, being able to be a 'peaceful' faction, trade, etc.) I think they're really pushing it in the right direction.
Some of the bigger stuff is likely to come along with bigger DLC. That said, being at peace isn't something most Paradox games excel at.

That is very good news. The rewards from space critters (aside from the crystal armor stuff) were by and large useless.
Also the evasion-boosting flagella. But I think they were appropriate to the trivial nature of acquiring them.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: September 06, 2016, 02:44:23 pm »

To clarify: Is it intended/planned for there to be a proper trade system at some point down the road? I ask because at the moment there's nothing to organically tie the empires together, or to each other, and it's something an otherwise great game glaringly lacks.
Not for Heinlein, but entirely possible in the future, yes (that is not a promise though).
*irritated sigh*
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 632