Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1687011 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #3285 on: September 07, 2016, 11:43:10 am »

To clarify: Is it intended/planned for there to be a proper trade system at some point down the road? I ask because at the moment there's nothing to organically tie the empires together, or to each other, and it's something an otherwise great game glaringly lacks.
Not for Heinlein, but entirely possible in the future, yes (that is not a promise though).
*irritated sigh*

Agreed, it's one of the only ways to really be able to do the 'pacifist' route. That + espionage can lead to some very interesting play without actually having to go to war.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3286 on: September 07, 2016, 11:56:00 am »

I suspect they're saving it for an expansion, much like SOTS did where they introduced a trade system as an expansion feature and added a hell of a lot of depth to it

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3287 on: September 07, 2016, 03:25:40 pm »

I suspect they're saving it for an expansion, much like SOTS did where they introduced a trade system as an expansion feature and added a hell of a lot of depth to it
Knowing Paradox's model, the trading itself will probably be free, but the more detailed parts of it inside the paid part.

Has the AI been really unwilling to ally or confederate with any of you? In my current game, they refuse even if they love me. I've taken to pouncing any empire slightly weaker than mine and vassalizing them, integrating them later (my poor influence, though).

Also, what determines the "relative power of subjects" modifier? All my vassals have it in the -500s or so.

As an aside note, I think I've just seen a fallen empire go to town on a non-player empire who got a bit too enthusiastic about AIs.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 03:30:15 pm by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3288 on: September 07, 2016, 03:52:35 pm »

Knowing Paradox's model, the trading itself will probably be free, but the more detailed parts of it inside the paid part.

Has the AI been really unwilling to ally or confederate with any of you? In my current game, they refuse even if they love me. I've taken to pouncing any empire slightly weaker than mine and vassalizing them, integrating them later (my poor influence, though).

Also, what determines the "relative power of subjects" modifier? All my vassals have it in the -500s or so.

As an aside note, I think I've just seen a fallen empire go to town on a non-player empire who got a bit too enthusiastic about AIs.

Yeah I've had loads of times when the AI won't ally with me - I feel they put in some sort of artificial block so that you can't immediately roflstomp people in a huge alliance.

The relative power of subjects is where they're much weaker either in fleet, army or technology. If you scroll over them in one of the views you can see how they compare 'your fleet is superior in comparison' - I just tend to ignore it as anyone that I've vassalised will obviously be weaker.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3289 on: September 07, 2016, 03:59:18 pm »

I'm wondering why it is a negative modifier, though. You'd think a weak subject would want to keep in line, while a strong one would not.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: September 07, 2016, 04:06:10 pm »

I'm wondering why it is a negative modifier, though. You'd think a weak subject would want to keep in line, while a strong one would not.

I think it's sort of trying to emulate being someones equal or their slave. I've always thought it was a bit strange though. I feel as though it should be negative if they're stronger than you, but everything else should be either positive or neutral.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: September 07, 2016, 04:13:37 pm »

Maybe it's because they think that if you're much stronger than them, they're at risk of being annexed outright, diaspora'd, genocided, or some other terrible thing, so their opinion goes negative and they try to find someone to help them break away. If they're closer to equal with you though, they enjoy your protection but still have the strength to keep you honest. A stronger power would obviously want to break away. It is a little weird (you would think they'd resent being dragged into your wars, for example) but it isn't completely unbelievable.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3292 on: September 07, 2016, 04:46:47 pm »

Actually I find it completely believable in my humble opinion. Just my idea, I think they're doing good with the game as it's actually modelling interstellar diplomacy and mechanics in a(to me)believable way.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3293 on: September 07, 2016, 05:37:11 pm »

Don't get me wrong, I love this game. Also, the local Fallen Empire has currently had their compared strength level fall to just Superior, so I'm feeling pretty good with my campaign of vassal->integrate.

I wish I could get figure out a way to make more influence, though. My scientists die all the damn time at exactly 84 years of age.

Only two non-fallen empires are nearly equal to me, and they not only border each other, but also hate each other despite having the same ethos. (They're both evangelizing zealots, which explains it). Tachyon lances are also being researched, so I think only the Fallen Empire or end-game threats could really hurt me.

Some factions are getting uppity, but I think I'll just let them rebel and beat them down.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 05:39:25 pm by Teneb »

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3294 on: September 07, 2016, 05:42:27 pm »

id like to see troop transports as an earlier game, its almost a grow set piece and not much early war is possible.  Which what is needed is a longer game, with a longer drawn out tech tree, i guess DLC will span the game out and up

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3295 on: September 07, 2016, 05:47:28 pm »

The thing that really stops early war is that the starting spaceports are almost unassailable with low tech fleets. Even so I've managed to pull it off a few times, but its quite costly

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: September 07, 2016, 07:09:44 pm »

Depends on what you consider "starting", I guess. Once found a pre-FTL civilization with a space station over its homeworld. It had a power of 6.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3297 on: September 07, 2016, 07:14:28 pm »

Depends on what you consider "starting", I guess. Once found a pre-FTL civilization with a space station over its homeworld. It had a power of 6.
I meant wars between empires.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: September 07, 2016, 07:35:55 pm »

The thing that really stops early war is that the starting spaceports are almost unassailable with low tech fleets. Even so I've managed to pull it off a few times, but its quite costly
It's worth noting that strength in numbers comes into play a bit when dealing with space stations; they may deal massive damage, but they don't fire half as often, and can only deal at a maximum as much damage as one ship has HP.

Having about 10 corvettes will usually hit a space station pretty hard. Much more than that and they go down. it's a brutal battle, but it's definitely winnable without cheesing or breaking RP.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3299 on: September 08, 2016, 10:34:52 am »

It would make sense if the modifier was applied based off of pop ethos

So fanatic militiarists for example would only respect their overlord so long as they had a superior strength, whilst adding xenophobic to their roster would make them chafe for independence against any weak overlord not of their species, stacking with opinion maluses from opposite ethos alignment
The inverse would then be true for pacifists who only respect an overlord actually capable of fighting their wars for them, whilst with xenophilic I think it would be cool upon the addition of better federation mechanics for xenophilic vassals to attempt to gain equal standing in their overlord's federation if their overlord joins one.
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 632