Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1679414 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #3495 on: October 28, 2016, 05:38:59 pm »

I'm having a bit of trouble managing federation fleets when I am the President of the Federation. I move them, but as soon as they reach the destination I sent them to they start moving back to my ally's territory. Is there some option somewhere that I'm missing that is making them do this?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: October 28, 2016, 06:20:16 pm »

WAITWAITWAIT HOLD ON
stuff
Man isn't it great how well people eat their words these days? :P

Remember when people said day 1 patches were fine?

Well now we have games that don't work until a week after launch.

You know what's dumb?
Most "slippery slope" arguments.
You know what's also stupid?
This particular quote.

Day 1 patches are fine. They exist because once you start distributing the game but it still hasn't released yet, you can't exactly push updates to the game. And because you don't want the developers sitting around doing nothing, you generally have them fix any issues found since distribution started or not deemed critical enough to fix before distribution.
Since as I said, you can't push new updates through, you have to wait until it's released for the update. Hence the day one update.

Sure, it's not great to release broken games, but dear god, day 1 patches =/= releasing a broken/buggy game.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: October 28, 2016, 06:33:08 pm »

Yeah. Imagine the uproar if those bugs were held off on being fixed until the first big content update/not at all.

It'd just be like the good old days! :P

which i wasn't a part of so don't yell at me pls

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: October 28, 2016, 07:53:21 pm »

In the good old days if a game shipped with bugs or glitches you just had to deal with it. Maybe the dev would release a special edition with a fix that you could buy!

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: October 28, 2016, 07:58:51 pm »

So I havn't played in awhile.  Still waiting for a patch that adds internal politics and better planet assault, which I am guessing is coming soonish.  Glad they are making progress on it though.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3500 on: October 28, 2016, 09:36:50 pm »

Here's me killing the space dragon:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In terms of weapons, you definitely, DEFINITELY want armour-piercing.

Like, everything else is worthless if you're fighting against the AI. The Fallen Empires, Superunits, and all the other funky stuff all have gigatonnes of armour. Haven't noticed shields doing anything useful.

So yeah, if you want to stand any chance against the real threats of the game, you're going plasma and anything else that penetrates armour.

------------

Oh man this War in Heaven shit is breaking me really bad.

Only one Empire has awaken so far and it's the bloody Enigmatic Observers. The Militant Isolationists are still chilling and doing nothing. Thankfully the Observers are on the opposite side of the galaxy from me and they consumed about 40 planets when they initially struck out. This made every single other faction in the game band together in defense pacts. This includes me. Because I don't want to die.

I'm not sure what chance we have though. Because if the Militants wake up I'm in deep shit. The Militants are right next door to me (and thankfully in the way of the Observers).

My hope is the Observers wake up the Militants, then I can be left alone to tech up.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: October 29, 2016, 10:52:49 am »

Any tips for surviving the late game?

The fallen empire that borders my empire woke up and became Jingoistic Reclaimers, so they're pretty hellbent on retaking the galaxy. Unfortunately at almost exactly the same time the Unbidden arrived on the other side of the galaxy. I would have liked to have dealt with the Unbidden ASAP but the Jingoist Reclaimers declared war on a member of my federation. They had a fleet strength of 140k which put to shame my 40k fleet pretty easily. Thankfully he mostly wanted the planets belonging to my ally (though he did take my shiny new gaia world :(). After the war was over I abandoned my federation to strike out on my own because I figured I'd be better off without them.

I was licking my wounds and rebuilding my fleet when another fallen empire woke up beside me. This one was of the guardians of knowledge (or whatever they are called) variety. I thought they'd be pretty mad at me because of my synths and other various dangerous techs but they sent me a message that was something along the lines of the galaxy is ending lets be best buds. So I formed a federation with my new Watchful Regulator friends.

At this point I'm pretty sure I've lost though, my new awakened fallen empire friends are decently strong but not as strong as the big angry reclaimers on the other side of my empire. And the Unbidden have been expanding unchecked for a while now, I have a feeling it is too late to stop them, last time I sent a fleet over it got instantly devoured by a multitude of large unbidden fleets. You don't seem to be considered at war when fighting the unbidden so I can't really get my Fallen Empire buds to go on a field trip across the galaxy with me as far as I can tell. Not that the follow my fleet thing always works anyway, seems pretty hit or miss if they follow you or not. I still can't seem to figure out how to control Federation fleets when I'm el presidente either, they seem to go where they please.

I'm curious to see what happens in the long term, I'm assuming the unbidden will devour everything including the reclaimers. In the meantime I'd like to see if I can find any remaining space boss monsters, I've killed two so far. I haven't seen the dragon yet though.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: October 29, 2016, 11:06:45 am »

Man, I wanna get back into Stellaris but there's so many nitpicky things about it... big one being the Unbidden not-war.  They just eat apart AI factions because the AI can't comprehend fighting something they're not at war with.  And you want to build a big empire, but using sectors, which is the only way to really get above like 7 planets, puts ethics divergence, so you get punished for using core features.  And that sector managers are still not optimized.  Plus what to me is the massive problem of trying to rebuild fleets.  Sure you can build a group of ships, but then you take damage and lose a few, so now what?  You've got to go into your fleet, remember what all was in it, and then find shipyards and build replacements.  How are you really meant to handle like 5 fleets fighting in 5 different areas, each losing ships and time, and different shipyards giving better or worse buffs for building.

I dunno, so much of it forces micromanagement and makes you suffer because the AI isn't terribly well optimized...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: October 29, 2016, 11:15:22 am »

See, the Unbidden appeared in my game too but the AI did go and fight it.

In fact, I had the meteor event show up on a colony too far from my fleets which were fighting the Unbidden so I kinda wrote it off. Then I found out one of my neighbours sent over a small fleet to kill it for me.

And in regards to the Unbidden, my vassals at least were helping me attack the space stations that the Unbidden constructors were throwing up. I know they killed quite a few.

---------

Wiles:

I know the thing that's keeping me alive for now while I deal with the Unbidden as the awakened FE sits around is that every single empire in the galaxy is in a defensive pact with one another. The threat generated by the FE was so massive. Now the FE doesn't dare to attack anyone else as that would mean declaring war on everyone. This is buying me a lot of time as I get to deal with this bloody Unbidden invasion.

Also I have a really crazy amount of vassals and protectorates. Those guys fight wars better than I do. I'm a militaristic, xenophillic, individualistic race. So I went around aggressively making forced allies and uplifting races.

---------

This is a pretty funny state right now.

Stellaris is now pretty fun at the start. Super boring in the midgame. Now really tense in the late. I guess they're making progress.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: October 29, 2016, 12:09:29 pm »

I'm sad now.

Spent the last few hours trying to update a species mod to the new version, as the mod author seems to be ignoring it. I know absolutely nothing about modding, but I followed a guide and used a working species mod as a sort of yardstick to measure against. Once everything seemed to be okay, I compressed the files, replaced the original .zip (don't worry, I backed it up somewhere else), and fired up Stellaris.

Stellaris crashes on launch. I assume I messed up somewhere but these are basically a bunch of text files along with some untouched images. Maybe Steam is confused because the files don't match the workshop upload. Dunno.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: October 29, 2016, 12:33:47 pm »

Girlinhat, that's why a mod that adds extra core planet policies is still basically required. There are a couple up to date ones, I've got one that gives a set of choices ranging from +5 to +999ish. Sectors just flat out aren't worth the bother, it takes more effort to micromanage them than they allegedly save you in micromanaging the stuff inside them.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: October 29, 2016, 01:46:00 pm »

Well, Heinlin/Leviathan is now somewhat terrifying in the early game. Or maybe I just have bad luck. I decided to fire up a test game, smallest galaxy size, only 1 other empire.

On one side, I have systems with heavy crystalline presence. Including some sort of nexus thing. My first corvette scout fleet jumped right into the middle of a 1.2k-strength fleet and died before I could retreat.

I rebuilt, eventually. Gave the new fleet an admiral. Went exploring in a different direction. Encountered the only other AI empire. Exploration in that direction is basically pointless now, unless the AI empire is friendly enough to allow open borders once we make contact.
EDIT: Contact made, despite being fellow xenophiles they immediately close borders. How nice. Also they are militarists and I decided to go pacifist. Extra nice.

Traveled in a third direction. Encountered a pirate haven with a 6k+ fleet hanging out right on the near edge of the system. I lost my second fleet along with the admiral. I don't want to go anywhere near that, so a third direction of travel is denied to me...and if the massive pirate fleet decides to come snooping around I have absolutely nothing to stop them. Shit, I just got ion thrusters.

EDIT2: Bad luck, I guess. Science ship critically failed an anomaly, resulting in the loss of the ship and the 4-star scientist on board. Now pirates are attacking, I have no fleet, and I lost yet another ship along with a valuable leader. What a fuggin start.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 01:59:48 pm by Sirus »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: October 29, 2016, 01:59:52 pm »

Shit, I just got ion thrusters.

Maxim 24: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a big gun.

Ion thrusters are perhaps not sufficiently advanced.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: October 29, 2016, 02:01:15 pm »

Shit, I just got ion thrusters.

Maxim 24: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a big gun.

So he got Ion cannons?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: October 29, 2016, 02:15:37 pm »

Ah. These aliens are Democratic Crusaders. They automatically hate me for not embracing democracy. No wonder they closed borders instantly and hold a -96 opinion of me despite being fellow xenophiles.

So I have an openly hostile empire on one side, two passive but very mighty forces on either side, and on my last side? Empty space with no habitable worlds. Also the piracy event triggered so I have some of those wandering around too. Hope my six corvettes are feeling lucky.

Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 632