Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1679483 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #3795 on: November 20, 2016, 07:37:13 pm »

RIP Powder Miner.

Remember, they start rebuilding their fleets once they wake up. They might be starting out as "Superior" but they'll quickly get stronger.
that just means now's my chance
I'm gonna try to screw up their infrastructure I guess

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3796 on: November 20, 2016, 09:39:01 pm »

>116k enemy fleet power
well
damn

The combined might of my entire federation might about match up
HERE
GOES
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 09:45:06 pm by Powder Miner »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3797 on: November 20, 2016, 09:49:28 pm »

Fleet power is a guideline more than anything else. As long as your fleet is built intelligently or is comprised entirely out of 8M Plasma Cruisers then you should do just fine. Just be prepared to replace half of it afterwards.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3798 on: November 20, 2016, 09:51:21 pm »

My fleet composition:
Ratio of 1 Battleship - 4 Cruisers - 7 Destroyers - 12 Corvettes
an unholy amount of railgun ammunition
good armor, good shields, good engines
bombers on all my cruisers & battleships

BATTLE ONGOING:
So it turns out they like to go for larger ships first -- my battleships died fairly early on, but my cruisers are taking a lot longer to go and my destroyers and corvettes are pretty much untouched
Yeah, my smaller ships are looking suuuuuper survivable against these guys
I may well win
my sentient AI computer chips in them are probably helping too

THEY RAN FOR IT
AHAHAHAHAAAAAA

So "bunch of sub-bttleship ships flinging kinetic rounds absolutely everywhere wildly" seems to be a working tactic. I've already blown two spaceports and things are so far looking good in my fight against the remainder of their fleet.

ha ha haaaaaaaa
I wiped the rest of their fleet without that much difficulty! There is something poetic about these giant ships (I took down a Titan) representing the full sovereign ancient might of the empires of old being overwhelmed by a bunch of modern ships that despite what looked like bad odds fired and fired and brought them down
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 10:36:29 pm by Powder Miner »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3799 on: November 20, 2016, 11:15:47 pm »

After I win this war I'm settling those holy worlds in my territory.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3800 on: November 20, 2016, 11:20:52 pm »

Enslave all the surviving FE aliens and force them to toil under human rule on their own holy worlds.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3801 on: November 20, 2016, 11:25:26 pm »

Their fleet power is only "Superior" to mine
I'm in a federation that can boost my numbers
I can take em
I CAN TAKE EM

Also, since I usually play on Ironman, if I screw this up I can't go back
I really need to figure out if I should try for an early decisive strike or what

In lighter news, I made yet another colony (my mass terraforming from earlier paid off) and named it Mohandas
this is in direct opposition to my immediate future
How do you guuuuuys record achievements in IRONMAN @_@ I keep playing on IRONMAN and despite my horribad net (or because of it--it usually ends up as 'local save ironmans' with the steam client displaying 'no connection') and never even getting an achievement!

...Like those easy notices of 'achieved a trade' or 'get 5000 Energy Credits'. Already thoroughly done but they aren't even registering >_>

Also could I ask people's preference for the 'workhorse' or 'backbone' of their fleet? It seems Cruisers fare best here along with Battleship support, as everytime I've had cruisers--they're the frontline while my destroyers stay back at medium to longer range. Independent of their weapon loadout... x_x

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3802 on: November 20, 2016, 11:44:27 pm »

Yeah, my cruisers are usually my first ships to go -- my battleships only died so fast because the Spiritualist Awakened Empire loved its fancy energy lances which blow up capital ships really nicely
(wasn't fast or accurate enough to take the rest of my fleet tho)

Edit: I DID IT! I WON! Man, the internet had me worried but hahahahaaaaaa I dun kicked their asses! Now half of their planets have been converted to the ways of FREEDOM

>>bimathi demand I become a Dominion
>>>>after I just kicked their butts across their empire and took half of it
lol
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 11:54:08 pm by Powder Miner »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3803 on: November 21, 2016, 12:14:44 am »

Yeah, my cruisers are usually my first ships to go -- my battleships only died so fast because the Spiritualist Awakened Empire loved its fancy energy lances which blow up capital ships really nicely
(wasn't fast or accurate enough to take the rest of my fleet tho)
Waaaait. Corvettes with ~60% evasion; Destroyers with ~30% evasion, and Cruisers/Battleships with ~10% evasion.
...Tell me your secrets please! :D Is the corvette ratio/firepower/numbers a lot more effective versus weapons that aren't fully tracking (ie missiles/strikecraft) as compared to those that require tracking to hit?
...And are shields actually useful on bigger ships? >.> The ~200 shield points for a medium slot compared to all the hull/armor points seems like a minor 'buffer' in my totally limited experience.

Grats on the win by the way. As a Federation?

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3804 on: November 21, 2016, 12:27:19 am »

Yeah, though I provide the meat of the federation.
And ohhh yeah, higher level shields + capacitors actually provides a very decent buffer. Thousands and thousands of points of damage.
The ratio I saw online; corvettes and destroyers are really really hard for capital ships to hit.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 01:12:47 am by Powder Miner »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3805 on: November 21, 2016, 12:43:26 pm »

That's what missiles are for, I guess. Since corvettes can't mount PD anymore, missiles are the best counter against high-evasion corvette swarms.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3806 on: November 21, 2016, 03:33:20 pm »

I believe this is relevant when talking about missiles. In the sense of 'what the fuck is going on with them?'

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3807 on: November 21, 2016, 05:09:33 pm »

I believe this is relevant when talking about missiles. In the sense of 'what the fuck is going on with them?'
Does this nudge my personal bias about PD in a really itchy way? ._. Because I feel like it does, when you're technologically advanced over an enemy who uses only missiles (and it's checked by seeing their tech), and you have invariably gotten higher PD tech than their weapons tech, and filled everything as PD-destroyers versus corvettes.
I mean ballistics still won, but I didn't expect as many losses as I did while fielding only-purely-those-ships versus missile corvettes.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3808 on: November 21, 2016, 05:27:19 pm »

No seriously what. Was half this game designed and coded by horses or something?

Also could I ask people's preference for the 'workhorse' or 'backbone' of their fleet? It seems Cruisers fare best here along with Battleship support, as everytime I've had cruisers--they're the frontline while my destroyers stay back at medium to longer range. Independent of their weapon loadout... x_x
I only ever spam battleships, though I haven't done enough testing to figure out if that's actually ideal or not. It might be worth noting that I'm really teched out and only ever fighting FEs at the moment.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3809 on: November 21, 2016, 06:18:28 pm »

Thank god someone else did the science. That meshes with some of the shit I was observing; I'd given up on my attempt to fix missiles because my PD changes weren't giving the results I expected. Now I'm getting flashbacks to the combat computer nonsense, except that this is even more stupid.

What's worse is that there's stuff in the ship behavior files, weighted values that are supposed to cause ships to retarget based on predicted damage dealt... and apparently the Paradox coders responsible didn't care enough to make sure that any of that worked.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 632