Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1686935 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #4275 on: February 19, 2017, 05:13:41 pm »

I really wish planets had mixed terrain. Think about it.

Oceans, temperate, and desert could be mixed, and three species could cohabitate the same planet! Developing new colonization techs could help develop existing planets!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4276 on: February 19, 2017, 05:21:31 pm »

Oceans, temperate, and desert could be mixed, and three species could cohabitate the same planet! Developing new colonization techs could help develop existing planets!

The idea is that the planets are "Overall".

Though I often find these whole colonization aspects in 4x games to be kind of... incredibly stupid.

To the extent where it often feels like we are colonizing these planets with present technology instead of super sci-fi tech.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4277 on: February 19, 2017, 05:50:39 pm »

Yeah, it's just like all that planet colonising we're doing these days.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4278 on: February 19, 2017, 06:06:01 pm »

Or worse tech. I'm pretty sure people can build cities in deserts today. It's not impossible. All habitable worlds have nitrogen-oxygen atmospheres.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4279 on: February 19, 2017, 06:31:10 pm »

Also a good way to segue into mostly but not entirely inhospitable planets. And from there, letting you spend obscene amounts of resources colonizing worthless rocks.

Or worse tech. I'm pretty sure people can build cities in deserts today. It's not impossible. All habitable worlds have nitrogen-oxygen atmospheres.
It's worth noting that there's a difference between building an individual city in a desert, and building a fully functioning, productive civilization people are happy to inhabit in a desert. Ditto with lifeless rocks: Building stuff on barren/toxic worlds or in asteroids is totally possible, and even done with mining/research stations. But that's not the same as having an 8-pop colony able to feed itself plus produce excess resources, all with its citizens living in relative comfort.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4280 on: February 19, 2017, 06:53:23 pm »

IIRC that was the original plan. Can't recall why they dropped it.
Never heard this, neat.

Not hard to blindly guess possibilities, though. Patchwork terrain ruins attempts to easily classify planets (and thus, where a given species likes to and is good at living), which is kind of important in preventing everything melting into one giant soup of "it's a planet." Plus the danger of favoring the middle-ground options if you try to mix things sensibly, and of raising strange questions if you don't.

There's ways around those issues, of course, but especially given the way they handled the rest of the game it's not surprising they just said screw it and made planet types monolithic and exclusive.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4281 on: February 19, 2017, 07:01:34 pm »

Also a good way to segue into mostly but not entirely inhospitable planets. And from there, letting you spend obscene amounts of resources colonizing worthless rocks.

It's worth noting that there's a difference between building an individual city in a desert, and building a fully functioning, productive civilization people are happy to inhabit in a desert. Ditto with lifeless rocks: Building stuff on barren/toxic worlds or in asteroids is totally possible, and even done with mining/research stations. But that's not the same as having an 8-pop colony able to feed itself plus produce excess resources, all with its citizens living in relative comfort.

Fair enough, but a border colony on a marginal world could easily provide a casus belli between two nations.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: February 19, 2017, 07:02:47 pm »

I have always assumed that planet types were more than just different terrain types. I thought the atmosphere and such would be slightly different too. Which would make it more complicated than just settling in a desert. Although Gaia planets mess with that theory a bit.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4283 on: February 19, 2017, 07:19:11 pm »

I like the way Stars in Shadow does it. Each planet has a number of habitable zones of various types, and each race has a rating for each type of zone. An ocean world might have very little tropical land (islands) but lots of Ocean and deep see Vents. Well races that can colonize oceans will be happy there obviously, while humans might just live on a few islands. Some races from planets with subsurface oceans thrive in the geothermic vents and would also live well in an ocean planet with deep sea vents.

Each race's maximum population is calculated by how much they 'like' the habitation zones. I'm probably explaining it poorly but it's a fun system and means that importing some races will boost the maximum population of a world massively.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4284 on: February 20, 2017, 09:36:23 pm »

The closest I can think of are some of the Planet Diversity Mods, and even then it's not even close. :(

Space geckos.  Will save you up to 15% on spaceship insurance, but it'll still cost you an arm and a leg.
You get better rates if you have already seasoned the arm and leg in question. If you're lucky, you can trick them into paying for your prosthetic!
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4285 on: February 20, 2017, 10:41:35 pm »

I like the way Stars in Shadow does it. Each planet has a number of habitable zones of various types, and each race has a rating for each type of zone. An ocean world might have very little tropical land (islands) but lots of Ocean and deep see Vents. Well races that can colonize oceans will be happy there obviously, while humans might just live on a few islands. Some races from planets with subsurface oceans thrive in the geothermic vents and would also live well in an ocean planet with deep sea vents.

Each race's maximum population is calculated by how much they 'like' the habitation zones. I'm probably explaining it poorly but it's a fun system and means that importing some races will boost the maximum population of a world massively.

Does seem like a really good system.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4286 on: February 20, 2017, 10:53:32 pm »

I feel like the plots represent the locations your people can settle on a planet, even though it is supposed to be representative of the planet's size, at least as far as I am aware of. It makes more sense in my headcannon.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4287 on: February 21, 2017, 12:49:40 am »

Still works. Bigger planet, more locations suitable for settlement.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4288 on: February 21, 2017, 12:50:06 am »

I feel like the plots represent the locations your people can settle on a planet, even though it is supposed to be representative of the planet's size, at least as far as I am aware of. It makes more sense in my headcannon.
In a sense, both apply if you think of the plots being the total landmass on the planet, with Ocean Worlds having cities be built on archipelagos like Venice. We don't really have proper aquatic civs, going by the view from the window.

Besides, you can't increase the earths surface area too much before gravity gets pretty out there. Certainly not enough to nearly double the SA, without making the planet out of some exotic substance, like a planet of Styrofoam.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: February 21, 2017, 01:03:37 am »

That's something that bugs me, since we can remove volcanoes but not make an 8-tile high-g world more productive.
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 632