Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1687256 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #4860 on: June 02, 2017, 12:01:01 pm »

The story in Stellaris is about an infinite cycle.  Even if you "win" eventually you'll stagnate, die, or intentionally leave normal life behind.  The purpose of the precursors and FEs is to show that this has already happened, the purpose of the endgame crisis and ascension techs is to show how a powerful empire such as a lategame player could end eventually.

The only exception to the infinite cycle is a certain new endgame crisis I've been spoiled on, which is implied to render at least a portion of the galaxy uninhabitable forever.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4861 on: June 02, 2017, 12:52:53 pm »

The story in Stellaris is about an infinite cycle.  Even if you "win" eventually you'll stagnate, die, or intentionally leave normal life behind.  The purpose of the precursors and FEs is to show that this has already happened, the purpose of the endgame crisis and ascension techs is to show how a powerful empire such as a lategame player could end eventually.

The only exception to the infinite cycle is a certain new endgame crisis I've been spoiled on, which is implied to render at least a portion of the galaxy uninhabitable forever.
DO NOT DO THIS
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4862 on: June 02, 2017, 03:51:44 pm »

Crisis strength x5 sounds fun.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4863 on: June 02, 2017, 04:41:16 pm »

Fun, or !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4864 on: June 02, 2017, 05:10:12 pm »

I don't think the Unbidden really set you on fire, more just eat your face.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4865 on: June 02, 2017, 05:35:45 pm »

So, early game and I discover two Gaia class planets, one 13 square and one 25 square. Of course, they're holy to the nearby Fallen Empire that I only encounter after I'm moved in. I wonder how screwed I am, playing without the aggression hotfix.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #4866 on: June 02, 2017, 06:34:00 pm »

If you're playing 1.60, they will never attack you. Nobody will ever attack anyone.

If you're playing 1.61, the holy worlds will soon be returned to their pristine non-colonized state, your leader will be dead, and your fleets/spaceport demolished in short order. Unless you surrender, then it's just your leader and the populations on the holy worlds.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4867 on: June 09, 2017, 02:17:06 pm »

Any idea as to why Living Systems mod ships appear as unidentified xenos?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4868 on: June 09, 2017, 02:45:16 pm »

Any idea as to why Living Systems mod ships appear as unidentified xenos?

They use the built-in civilian ships used by the pirates and a few other events, and you can't look at the designs for those for whatever reason just like you can't with the Tiyanki or Void Clouds. If you mean that they're called "lambda aliens" or whatever, and you have a special project to translate their language, that's a rare bug.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4869 on: June 11, 2017, 08:11:56 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Modded ship scaling until I found something that really moistened my bones. Colony ships are as large as battleships to represent how a colonizing endeavour would require a great deal of effort. Science ships the size of a cruiser because though they have small crews, they gotta keep all that science somewhere (and evidently through events, science ships are large enough to hold rows and rows of specimens and other crap). Corvettes are the smallest, serving as a nice frame of reference for other stuff. Destroyers twice as large as corvettes, cruisers three times as large and then battleships roll in in the late game to make all the other ships feel inadequate. Then the dreadnought in the back shows up compensating for- bringing batteries of mega-strength artillery and lances, which is very much needed since all the giant guardians have been made larger and 10x as beefy. Also having massive warships helps soak up AI navy count so they don't spam a billion corvettes

Hilariously with console commands you can take control of guardians. Given that I had also buffed them, in effect this mode of Stellaris was like playing as godzilla in the galactic playground, burninating civilizations who dared to stand opposed to you. Unfortunately the guardians would auto-move to their guarding sites, so they couldn't wipe out any civilizations - only wreck their fleets and spaceports.

Didn't stop me from summoning all the space amoebas into one massive amoeba armada. Hilariously they automoved throughout the galaxy, presumably looking for space cows, annihilating all in their way without any input from me.

After editing heavy orbital bombardments to be more lethal, on occasion I would see the aftermath of AI Empire wars that were rather intriguing - this one rattled my bones, imagining a world that was so heavily devastating by orbital bombardment that all its inhabitants were long since dead, the only survivors being a colony of droids trying to serve dead masters, unsure what to do without command.

This world I had begun orbital bombarding, when I realized that actually this world was worth observing so I halted temporarily. The planet was ruled by a master-class of genetically engineered bird scientists, ruling over billions of slaves. Once my legions destroyed the garrisoning army, and upon the end of the war, the slaves managed to overcome the sole master pop in armed insurrection

I was doing a fanatical purifier run with some spehss miroslavs when unexpectedly a war in heaven interrupted my campaigns. All of the major core world Empires united into a third party faction, which promptly wiped the floor with the awakened Empires, absorbing all their subject Empires into a horrifyingly large federation. Upon the victory of this galactic federation, I wanted to ensure the federation would crumble or at least not pose a threat to my galactic conquest efforts, so I turned all of my battleshipyards towards the construction of the diplomatic immunity class battleship. It was cheap, didn't have weapons, armour, shields or even any way to leave its solar system, and I built as many as I could while president, all under the banner of the federation. The result was that the federation navy cap was full of these pieces of shit

Also there's a glitch where you can spam click a research project and cause it to "finish" but still remain, allowing you to further spam click. With enough spam clicks on certain projects, one planet minor runs turn into one-planet-holy-exterminatus-POWEROVERWHELMING

Accidentally summoned an extradimensional starworm which tried to trap my species in a timeloop and eat my sun. Luckily when it arrived I had extradimensional avatars of the shroud to fight back

That awkward moment when two armadas warp either side of one another but can't attack or alter course because of different warp drives and cooldowns

I upgraded the accuracy of minefields, which actually made them useful - they could clear out corvettes and even destroyers given enough time, and were very useful in wearing down the shields of large fleet blobs. The minefields would then rather naturally become obsolete as better shielded cruisers and battleships came onto the field, and the minefield simply wouldn't deal near enough damage to make a noticeable difference. Nonetheless, on a hyperdrive only galaxy, I managed to block off two spiral arms for 300 years simply by spamming outposts which had no weapons but only minefields. The enemy would jump in, get bogged down by ungodly levels of mineposts, and keep attacking them until their shields would run out - then they'd emergency jump away, taking 25% hull damage, requiring starport repairs. Thus while the minefields didn't kill much, they were hilarious, cheap as hell and wasted so much time, I loved em. Goes without saying I modded the construction radius somewhat

This doesn't look like much, but there's a story behind it. In the same game where I built that horrifying minefield, my fleets and armies struck west while the mineposts kept the east at bay. I managed to overcome a technocratic frog empire to the west, but was unable to hold the large planets from the subsequent unrest, and they all gained independence one by one. To explain why they had so much unrest, well, I was exterminating them in a different way to the usual. Under the galactic Empire of "Feel Good Inc.", I would conquer some xenos, genetically engineer them to be continental environmentalists, then pump them full of so many drugs they forgot how to reproduce and died out after a century or so. They were happy as fuck during the whole process too, hence Feel Good Inc. - with the added bonus that over time I could begin terraforming their planet, transferring colonist pops to their intact infrastructure. Problem was, this was eating up loads of minerals, which wasn't an issue until the unbidden arrived and I had to swap out this careful, cautious approach with a more direct one (which caused unrest). This was rather embarrassing as before they gained independence I transported miroslav pops to their planets, meaning I lost control of my main species pops to either my enemy or to new independent empires. One such planet was made entirely of synths + 1 miroslav pop, which became independent under a new miroslav republic. This republic continued my policy of destroying all synths, when they were given an offer by a fallen Empire to transfer one pop to their xenos reserve. This fallen empire saw this tiny republic wedged between two superpowers and realized the xenos on it would likely be destroyed, thus they offered to transfer one pop to their reserve in order to ensure that species did not die in the subsequent crossfire. However this was that empire's only species pop, thus as it disappeared, only the synths were left. As the destruction of the synths continued, eventually they all died and the faction disappeared entirely, leaving behind only an empty planet - and one miroslav pop on a xenos reserve far away, on the other side of the galaxy.

After an unbidden incursion cleared the path for me, I was at last able to send my Red Banner Armada to the Fallen Empire in question in order to get my damn Miroslav pops back. Every single one of those grey dots is an enemy fighter or bomber, needless to say I did not expect the fallen empire to field so many carriers. It was a painful time, but eventually they were overcome and the pop in question rescued, though the rescue attempt did turn the fallen empire into an awakened empire

I modded army units a bit, most significantly being defence armies. I made defence armies about 500% more beefy, but with the same standard morale, with the whole idea being that defenders have all the resources and time of their planet at their disposal, while launching an extragalactic invasion is one hell of a logistical challenge. Thus there are three ways to overcome such formidable defences: Destroy their morale with psi troops or gene warriors, destroy them with overwhelming force from gene warriors, xeno hordes or droid armies, or simply swamp them in masses of assault troops, clone legions and so on.
[Flight of the valkyries intensifies]
So yeah this planet got invaded by around three hundredish clone legions with 50 psi trooper legions and one shroud avatar

Aesthetic battle versus one of the upscaled guardians

More aesthetics

First time ever seeing a human fallen Empire o_O

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4870 on: June 11, 2017, 10:11:22 pm »

Is it just me, or is this game pretty dead? Seems like the interest went away as soon as they decided to work on multiplayer instead of features.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4871 on: June 12, 2017, 03:21:10 am »

I still play it quite a bit.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4872 on: June 12, 2017, 04:28:10 am »

If you're playing 1.60, they will never attack you. Nobody will ever attack anyone.

If you're playing 1.61, the holy worlds will soon be returned to their pristine non-colonized state, your leader will be dead, and your fleets/spaceport demolished in short order. Unless you surrender, then it's just your leader and the populations on the holy worlds.

Yeah, I figured that out, patched up and started a new game. I was also having less fun then expected with my xenophobic human empire, mostly because it also seemed to be locking me out of any diplomacy. Everyone being peaceful forever aside, all my neighbors had united into a giant federation... and I was the only one not in it.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4873 on: June 12, 2017, 08:44:03 am »

Is it just me, or is this game pretty dead? Seems like the interest went away as soon as they decided to work on multiplayer instead of features.

Stellaris follows the typical Paradox cycle: hemorrhage players between patch cycles. You might see 30k concurrent online again in the next expansion release. For now I doubt it gets much over 15k again, and in a month they'll be lucky to see that many.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4874 on: June 12, 2017, 01:51:54 pm »

FYI The 1.7.2 beta patch has been extremely stable for myself and a friend who have an ongoing game we return to whenever we're both free. I would highly recommend using it as it fixes some important stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 632