Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1679472 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #5085 on: July 14, 2017, 02:44:02 pm »

Maybe instead of being focused on how bring a militaristic has a female voice, they should instead be wondering how useless Paradox has become if they think 10 voices is enough to justify content.

This wouldn't be a problem if they had more than the amount of digits on our hands.
Eh.  The story pack should contain more than just the voices, I'd expect, given that they haven't even reached the point where they have announced a name for it yet.  This is just a quick "feature" that popped up right quick.  I'll reserve judgment on whether it's useful based on what else the story pack contains and how soon it goes on sale after release.  If I had any reason to expect that this is the entire content of the story pack, though, I'd say that voices sure as sin aren't enough to make me buy in based on that alone.  If that ends up being the case, this can nicely sit aside to join...hmmm, actually, quite a bit.  Most non-free sprite packs in past games, the Plantoids for this game, and so forth. 

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5086 on: July 14, 2017, 03:20:45 pm »

Paradox did say in the thread I linked that the voices are coming as part of the story pack, but are just a little side thing. What is the main attraction is still unknown though.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5087 on: July 16, 2017, 05:18:41 pm »

Not really surprised swedes gonna swede, really it's not remarkable. Heck, the militiarist faction requires you to continually wage war even when there is no casus belli, objective or reward but war itself, thus Stellaris militiarists even at their mildest are pretty khornate - being warriors for the sake of warmaking. Whether the game frowns on such behaviour is another matter, I'm not sure how one could judge a game being biased to or against abstract ethos representations, besides the baseline events and general themes being militiarist genocidal empires regretting bringing ruin to other species. Also it could just be the devs being opposed to anyone having unauthorised fun instead of them being opposed to an ethos, such as them disabling planet transfer to stop people infecting other Empires with locust pops. Of could be a summation of all of the above

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
While modding ship scales, figured I could give a shot trying to make the prethoryn swarm seem more tyraniddy. This was about as close as I could get to the whole "clouding the void with biomass tendrils" using shit loads of strike craft with low launch speed. Also makes for a pretty spectacle as your 200 destroyers fitted with anti-strike craft artillery desperately try to stem the flood
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Unfortunately the game doesn't like so many strike craft floating around like that, so no more nid tendrils for now. Still a cool concept imo though, get more mechanical distinction between the various species and factions. And they definitely did get that void tendril aesthetic

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5088 on: July 16, 2017, 11:03:08 pm »

Loud Whispers, you should really pitch that swarm idea to Paradox. Maybe they can make it more stable if they ever implement it? ;)

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5089 on: July 18, 2017, 03:38:06 pm »

Hmm i like the womans voice, but its a bit unfitting for a disciplined military officer. If it is i don't know a Space Pirate or a bunch of Honorbound Warriors or basically what i am usually playing it would fit. But yeah as said before, a wee bit less Khornate Warrior would be nice, then again imagine this playing for your entire fleet.

It probably would be best to have two versions of the militarists, one representing a disciplined military (perhaps some posh british officer accent, or even something german accented) and one representing BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD type war hordes.

For the disciplined ones something along the lines of: "Hah, amateurs, clearly they have not studied the Art of War" - "Execute Formation Delta-3, Full Spread" - "Begin Strategic Orbital Support Fire - Collateral Damage is Acceptable" - "Contact High Command: We will be Home by Christmas"
In short an entire blue-eyed early World War I view on war would fit a disciplined militarist in my eyes.

If you go Authoritarian Militarist, something Soviety/German would fit quite well and if you have Egalitarian you could throw in Tau.

just what i would do with it though. Anyway the voices are great if a bit out of character.

actually you've just outlined exactly why militarist and pacifist shouldn't be ethos at all. they only make sense in context of other ethos, and not on their own. any kind of description of a military implies some other kind of ethos as well.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5090 on: July 18, 2017, 03:45:27 pm »

But there are no cases where a particular Ethos exists without others as a modifier. Militarist and Pacifist would make no sense as single things, but you're always going to be at least Militarist/Pacifist with another Ethos on there. So I don't see the problem.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5091 on: July 18, 2017, 05:09:00 pm »

actually you've just outlined exactly why militarist and pacifist shouldn't be ethos at all. they only make sense in context of other ethos, and not on their own. any kind of description of a military implies some other kind of ethos as well.
Literally every single thing in this universe exists only when observed relative to another.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5092 on: July 18, 2017, 08:43:32 pm »

We just need a Lawful/Chaotic Axis and a Good/Evil Axis

Flawless planning, I know. :P
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5093 on: July 18, 2017, 10:38:25 pm »

Nah, see, the one that doesn't make sense as a dichotomy is Spiritualist/Materialist, as implemented.

From the "Religion = PSYCHIC POWERS IN SUBSPACE" weirdness to the "Every single species is the same Space Religion and is buddy buddy" (What, heretics and heathens aren't a thing?) to the "Materialists love robots and spiritualists love psychics and Never The Twain Shall Meet" weirdness, to the research bonus to materialist (that kinda makes sense but it's really imbalanced, it makes not picking materialist kind of feel like a handicap.)

What they *should* do is instead have Internal vs. External, or Mind vs. Matter, where the ethics are that the species is concerned with the mental, their culture and their brains, and get a 10% boost to Society, and the other ethic is concern with the external world, and a 10% boost to Engineering (and a 5% boost to physics for both of them :v) (This is ALSO assuming they really wanna keep their Psykers vs. Robots thing going on, which I guess more power to them? It just feels tacked on to the spiritualist/materialist thing they started with when the game came out.)

And then have a seperate system for religion (or lack of religion, and have all the Materialist responses to events simply be the Atheistic [lack of] Religion response), because a) religion colours everything, and any single ethic could be religous, and b) Everyone Worships Psychic Space Jesus in Space?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 10:40:08 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5094 on: July 18, 2017, 11:39:08 pm »

"Every single species is the same Space Religion and is buddy buddy"
Praise Spode!
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5095 on: July 19, 2017, 04:36:27 pm »

They definitely need a way to who that a pop is religious, even if its separate from the existing ethics system.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5096 on: July 19, 2017, 04:46:06 pm »

Just started playing this game a few days ago, got it during the Steam sale.

Designing your own ships is fun, except when the last Gallowglass-class Corvette ships for some reason was designed without putting in any FTL engine, which was only realized - following the embarrassing defeat against Decadent Space Empire had seen all previous Gallowglass was destroyed - after the navy had been hastily replenished to not allow the two bordering Space Nations to take advantage of the situation, and every single ship had to be upgraded directly after their construction.

An investigative committee has been launched to find the reason this was not noticed earlier.
Love, scriver~

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5097 on: July 19, 2017, 09:25:52 pm »

Are there any sci-fi stories famous for religious inhabitants though?

The L. Ron Hubbard update? Update Lucas? I dunno...
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5098 on: July 19, 2017, 09:36:03 pm »

Mass Effect, Star Wars, Dune (disclaimer: haven't read it yet), a lot of Lovecraft inspired stuff, 40K, pretty much any "space elves" aliens like the Protoss.  Plus I assume a lot of sci-fi novels take the edgy-atheist attitude towards religion but I'm more of a fantasy guy so I couldn't say.  Honestly the "psionics = spiritualism" thing is pretty damn accurate to sci-fi.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5099 on: July 19, 2017, 09:43:26 pm »

The movie Avatar and some of the sequels to Ender's Game were what I immediately thought of, besides the ones Hat mentioned.

Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 632