Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 [354] 355 356 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1687611 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #5295 on: November 02, 2017, 11:05:15 am »

For once, everything Paradox is doing with this game seems good.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5296 on: November 02, 2017, 11:55:30 am »

As I read I'm nodding up and down smiling, up until...

FTL: What works in a game such as Sword of the Stars, with its turn-based gameplay, small maps of usually no more than 3-6 empires, and 1-on-1 wars breaks down completely in a Stellaris game

Scrub, that is in no way why it works in SOTS. SOTS usually bumps around 6 to 8 factions, and you're either damn lucky or playing a clusters map if you're involved only in 1-on-1 wars. SOTS works because it's turn based, yes, but that's the only thing you got right. It's also got interception mechanics, meaningful sensor ranges, and space stations that aren't shite. You don't get to talk down to SOTS' combat system, not for a long time yet.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5297 on: November 02, 2017, 12:06:42 pm »

I'm very happy to see these changes. I've already been playing on hyperlanes only for quite some time, for pretty much all the reasons they listed.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5298 on: November 02, 2017, 12:17:50 pm »

I'm very happy to see these changes. I've already been playing on hyperlanes only for quite some time, for pretty much all the reasons they listed.

Same here.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5299 on: November 02, 2017, 12:30:12 pm »

I think the previous devlog wasn't talked about in this thread before, so about that one (instead of the current border mechanics, upgradeable starports to claim systems) it's a shame they already did the megastructure stuff. Habitats, ringworlds, and dyson spheres would make far more sense as further upgrades of the starports than their current implementation.

The FTL stuff all seems fine to me, although the use of jump drives seems tedious and generally pointless.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5300 on: November 02, 2017, 01:29:12 pm »

Finally. It's so annoying trying to mod out all the FTL options and all the late game ones too.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5301 on: November 02, 2017, 01:40:49 pm »

I hope they at least leave the possibility of modeling warp drives, probably by using jump drives with modified cooldowns while disabling all hyperlanes.  I'd be sad if they broke the Star Trek mod now that they're also adding wormholes in. 

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5302 on: November 02, 2017, 01:45:13 pm »

FTL: What works in a game such as Sword of the Stars, with its turn-based gameplay, small maps of usually no more than 3-6 empires, and 1-on-1 wars breaks down completely in a Stellaris game

Scrub, that is in no way why it works in SOTS. SOTS usually bumps around 6 to 8 factions, and you're either damn lucky or playing a clusters map if you're involved only in 1-on-1 wars. SOTS works because it's turn based, yes, but that's the only thing you got right. It's also got interception mechanics, meaningful sensor ranges, and space stations that aren't shite. You don't get to talk down to SOTS' combat system, not for a long time yet.
Literally nothing was mentioned about the SOTS combat system... they said what worked well in SOTS does not work in Stellaris and they mentioned it falls apart in Stellaris' combat system

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5303 on: November 02, 2017, 02:07:07 pm »

I mean their comparison still pretty much works... Stellaris can have 30 factions in the same game.  If two factions each with subjects and allies go to war, it would be pretty plausible to have an 8 faction war with each faction having between it all 3 starter types.

Edit: While I'm posting here: is it worth coming back to this game yet?  And which DLC is considered "essential"?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5304 on: November 02, 2017, 02:12:48 pm »

No one mentioned it, but borders are changing too.

At any rate, I'm really liking where the game is going.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5305 on: November 02, 2017, 02:25:10 pm »

Edit: While I'm posting here: is it worth coming back to this game yet?  And which DLC is considered "essential"?
I would say so, but if you are unsure then wait for the next sale.
As for DLCs.. I would say Utopia and Synthetic Dawn are probably the most essential ones.

The Plantoids pack adds a new phenotype (a new portrait/city set/spaceships class or whatever you may call it).
So if you enjoy variety, then get it, if you want. But it doesn't add any gameplay mechanics.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5306 on: November 02, 2017, 02:31:04 pm »

Literally nothing was mentioned about the SOTS combat system... they said what worked well in SOTS does not work in Stellaris and they mentioned it falls apart in Stellaris' combat system

Strategic combat, not the tactical side. I'm a bit defensive of SOTS, but the way they wrote it makes it sound like SOTS strategic combat takes place on an intrinsically smaller scale and less involved scale than Stellaris. Which really isn't true.

The core point, that real time SOTS would be a fucking nightmare, is absolutely true. I just don't agree with the critique that 'small maps' and limited numbers of enemy empires is a valid reason, and it sounds like they're sort of making a back-pedal defense of 'well, this system doesn't work- but the reason it doesn't work is that we're too AWESOME!'
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5307 on: November 02, 2017, 03:26:44 pm »

I would say so, but if you are unsure then wait for the next sale.
As for DLCs.. I would say Utopia and Synthetic Dawn are probably the most essential ones.

The Plantoids pack adds a new phenotype (a new portrait/city set/spaceships class or whatever you may call it).
So if you enjoy variety, then get it, if you want. But it doesn't add any gameplay mechanics.
The game and most DLC is on sale at Humble right now.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5308 on: November 02, 2017, 03:32:33 pm »

I already own Stellaris, I just stopped playing shortly after release and I'm wondering if this is a good time to check it out again.  My original playthrough was a very individualist democracy which was kind of ruined by the fact that ethics drift was glitched to cause pops to be homogeneous (undoing any weakness that playstyle would have had).  Then it crashed infinitely with no solution. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 03:36:35 pm by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5309 on: November 02, 2017, 05:50:07 pm »

I mean their comparison still pretty much works... Stellaris can have 30 factions in the same game.  If two factions each with subjects and allies go to war, it would be pretty plausible to have an 8 faction war with each faction having between it all 3 starter types.

Not worth coming back to yet. Maybe after the next patch that overhauls borders and FTL and apparently war and maybe some other stuff.

In the current version the gameplay is just way too thin and insanely repetitive.
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 [354] 355 356 ... 632