Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 386 387 [388] 389 390 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1679368 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #5805 on: February 19, 2018, 10:13:52 pm »

I was just pointing out that you could be only a little bigger than your federation members and still get the permanent presidency, you wouldn't need to be 10x their size.

Divide my numbers down and you still have the same deal.

You: 3 planets
8 members with 1 planet each = 8 planets
Total: 11 planets

Or:

You: 5 planets
8 members with 2 planets each = 16 planets
Total: 21 planets

In either case, each member is now less than 10% of the total planets and less than 50% of yours. And you are only slightly more than 2x any of their size and only a fraction of the total federation size.
Can you imagine trying to pass that off in real life?

"Hey guys, I'm just a little bit bigger than all of you so I'm going to be El Presidente for life. No rebellions okay! And make sure not to form any factions or alliances amongst yourselves!"

Hell you can barely get away with that in CK2.

You can manipulate the AI in CK2? Hell, all they ever say to me is this is war you tyrannical bastard.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5806 on: February 20, 2018, 06:14:24 am »

Is it possible to release whatever planet you want as a vassal in the current version
yes

planet view, i think
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5807 on: February 20, 2018, 09:19:51 am »

Is it possible to release whatever planet you want as a vassal in the current version
yes

planet view, i think

unless your resolution is too low

(jk, i think they fixed that last patch)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5808 on: February 20, 2018, 02:00:50 pm »

Ok, that works then. A bunch of separate enclaves within your territory, all with your ideology... that would basically be like a federal system.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5809 on: February 20, 2018, 07:59:36 pm »

Yeah, sort of a federated empire model, where there's effectively a monarch who directly controls military affairs, strategically important territory, and interstate traffic, but individual regions are left to make their own decisions and elect their own leaders for domestic affairs. Shame that you have to take such a convoluted route to build it. Would be nice to be able to make a polity with that sort of integrated military and foreign policy control but disseminated local control without manipulating systems that are meant to handle inter-polity relations.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5810 on: February 20, 2018, 08:21:25 pm »

Isn't that what sectors are supposed to be?
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5811 on: February 20, 2018, 08:31:53 pm »

Kinda. The advantage is that vassals will maintain their own navies rather than just building defensive stations like sectors do and don't contribute to population for things like calculating unity costs, at the cost of getting less out of them in tax. It's super f l a v o r f u l to have them able to politically diverge from you too, and vassals are more proactive about telling you to fuck off if abused (and will also proactively look for foreign support), which I think is the real reason the Space HRE idea seems to be the second hardest-sticking nontraditional strategy after Playing Tall.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5812 on: February 20, 2018, 11:58:41 pm »

Isn't that what sectors are supposed to be?
What sectors were supposed to be is irrelevant at this point; they're a half-baked idea that hasn't been followed up on adequately and which it is now easy and beneficial to never actually use.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5813 on: February 21, 2018, 07:58:08 am »

One of the last games I played in 1.9 I played a group of fanatic egalitarian warriors who went and conquered the whole galaxy, put them into sectors, and basically forced everyone into being happy multiculturalists, and the sector management was so bad (no way I was going to micro that many planets) that I found somewhere around 40-50% of the way though taking the galaxy that taking more places and adding more sectors actually reduced my mineral income instead of increasing it, because the AI empires and Sector governors were so bad at managing their planets that they cost more in consumer goods costs increasing (even though I was just using the basic consumer goods level) then they made in minerals. Sectors make me really sad right now :(

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5814 on: February 21, 2018, 08:50:25 am »

The last game I played, I made exactly three sectors.

Honestly, Stellaris punishes you for using half of the features that they're trying to force you to use because of the terrible interaction with the way too low leader caps and the half-baked systems that are currently in placed.

Take leaders for one thing - You start with 10. Three slots are automatically filled because when are you NOT going to have your three research leaders? 7 left. You need an admiral, a general, a leader for your core systems. 4 left. You want to explore, and (at least the last time I tried) you can't use science vessels without a scientist inside. Take two more for that, and you have 2 slots over for sector leadership, a second fleet, splitting your ground forces...

and yes, there are researches meant to alleviate the problem slightly, but you'll never have enough leadership capacity to put a leader in charge of all of the ~20 possible sectors in a large empire, much less trying to NOT doomstack because you don't want to feed fleets without leadership into the woodchipper.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5815 on: February 21, 2018, 11:41:37 am »

Paradox always loves the artificial caps that do nothing but provide uninteresting buckets for more incremental progress.

They've still never learned to separate out what's actually interesting and fun about their games from what's mindless tedium and restrictions.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #5816 on: February 21, 2018, 11:56:35 am »

>  mindless tedium and restrictions.

scientists and governor dying every four turn *ugh*

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5817 on: February 21, 2018, 05:40:53 pm »

The last game I played, I made exactly three sectors.

Honestly, Stellaris punishes you for using half of the features that they're trying to force you to use because of the terrible interaction with the way too low leader caps and the half-baked systems that are currently in placed.

Take leaders for one thing - You start with 10. Three slots are automatically filled because when are you NOT going to have your three research leaders? 7 left. You need an admiral, a general, a leader for your core systems. 4 left. You want to explore, and (at least the last time I tried) you can't use science vessels without a scientist inside. Take two more for that, and you have 2 slots over for sector leadership, a second fleet, splitting your ground forces...

and yes, there are researches meant to alleviate the problem slightly, but you'll never have enough leadership capacity to put a leader in charge of all of the ~20 possible sectors in a large empire, much less trying to NOT doomstack because you don't want to feed fleets without leadership into the woodchipper.
Part of the issue is that sectors run, AFAIK, the normal AI but without access to most of the game's options (like diplomacy and such) and with a very limited income.  Problem is, if the normal AI is restricted to just a couple planets, it will crash and burn.  Even with access to diplomacy and megastructures and being able to choose its own research and such.  So how can the AI be expected to keep an empire running if all it can do is build and move pops?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5818 on: February 21, 2018, 06:10:54 pm »

I'm not sure about that logic, managing an economy is the core of the game, what basically everything else comes from. That feels like the area that the most work goes into and should be the least reliant on anything else (I mean... if there was any actual reason to trade with others that might not be the case... But there isn't.) Why is it you think that the lack of other options should have a large impact on it? That having a limited size should cause it to go poorly (and big sectors still suck) I can make a sector that's more resource rich, has higher technology, and is better protected then any AI empire, but it'll still be terribly mismanaged... Just like any AI empire.

The AI just sucks. Although I'm sure as hell not a programmer, so I don't know how hard it is, but somethings clearly gone wrong when it can't even reliably run a positive economy.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5819 on: February 21, 2018, 06:20:37 pm »

I've never really had that problem with sectors. I don't think I've ever had one run a mineral deficit, at least. I do sometimes end up with them having chronic energy shortages but that's more a result of being resource-poor. If they're not forced to respect tile resources and are allowed to redevelop they can often fix it, otherwise shifting your internal (or external) borders might be necessary.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 386 387 [388] 389 390 ... 632