Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409 410 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1687322 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #6105 on: March 13, 2018, 10:25:38 am »

I like missile corvettes, but I've never had much luck with larger missile ships.

I kind of like Giga Cannon/Neutron Torpedo battleships. They suck vs smaller ships but they can melt stations like crazy.

Against fallen empires and very late game battles if I've let a game run so long that the AI is stacking repeatable tech (I did it once by turtling up in a corner on impossible, lol) I like Battleships with focused arc emitters and cloud lightning. Especially against fallen empires you're facing something like 10k shields, 5k armor, 5k hulls - so while you're doing half the damage of other weapons, you only have 1/4 of the hitpoints to burn through and can start getting kills and triggering retreats really early in the battle.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6106 on: March 13, 2018, 12:23:58 pm »

I always like larger ships so that I don't have to click as many times to replace losses.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6107 on: March 13, 2018, 12:31:38 pm »

With the new fleet manager you can just hit the reinforce button.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6108 on: March 13, 2018, 12:35:29 pm »

This! Unless it bugs out. It sometimes fails to realize that a fleet is in fact full/already reinforced.

Also, my current setup involves plasma cannons and autocannons, with various lightning guns on my battleships for long-range.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6109 on: March 13, 2018, 01:30:56 pm »

This! Unless it bugs out. It sometimes fails to realize that a fleet is in fact full/already reinforced.
This happens if the fleet has ship designs different from what the fleet manager says it's supposed to, which can happen any time you upgrade ships. It's pretty easy to work around if you just don't upgrade and reinforce at the same time, although having to work around it can still be annoying.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6110 on: March 13, 2018, 01:50:33 pm »

This happens if the fleet has ship designs different from what the fleet manager says it's supposed to, which can happen any time you upgrade ships. It's pretty easy to work around if you just don't upgrade and reinforce at the same time, although having to work around it can still be annoying.

That explains it. I guess at some point they'll make it possible to upg/reinforce at the same time, or maybe you can't upgrade while reinforcing or some such.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6111 on: March 13, 2018, 01:55:27 pm »

I went with Lifeseeded Inward Perfection Isolationist. Our planet's perfect and you're all terrible. I even built up a fantastic defense fleet. Then my slaving despot neighbor hired the free warriors from the other side of the galaxy to come over and smash everything I have in one go.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6112 on: March 13, 2018, 02:28:45 pm »

Yeah, the AI seems to always have money to do that. It's pretty dumb.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6113 on: March 13, 2018, 02:31:49 pm »

Still fewer clicks to go with larger ships. Fewer clicks in initial fleet manager setup, fewer times clicking reinforce (you'll always lose a corvette or two, but there are fewer engagements that can kill 1 whole battleship).

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6114 on: March 13, 2018, 03:48:57 pm »

Trade stations are so good when going wide, I don't understand how you guys can not be swimming in cash.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6115 on: March 13, 2018, 06:02:34 pm »

Trade stations are so good when going wide, I don't understand how you guys can not be swimming in cash.

Might be going for a heavy focus on Shipyards/Anchorages or are swiss-cheesing and therefore not getting the energy from Stars plus the +1 Starbase per 20 owned systems you are getting? 
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6116 on: March 13, 2018, 06:06:43 pm »

Yeah, you can get a ton of energy out of those things. I went super defensive early in my game, due to the two nearby marauders, so energy was tight for a bit. But once I started setting up dedicated internal trading stations things improved greatly.

Now that I'm late game I dump energy all over the place and still routinely hit resource cap for it. Pity the trade enclaves only let you do a 100->50 energy to minerals monthly trade now instead of the giant 10000-5000 lump trades you used to be able to do. Would help a lot with the excesses I have.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6117 on: March 13, 2018, 08:20:17 pm »

My settings typically include turning the habitable worlds multiplier to 0.5x or so, sometimes lower.  Trade stations require an inhabited world or traders' enclave in the system.  This cuts back severely on how many trade stations I can pop out. 

That said, I always make starbases in inhabited systems into trading centers for that reason.  Anchorages fit best in uninhabited systems not on the front lines. 

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6118 on: March 14, 2018, 02:55:01 am »

I am extremely underwhelmed by the planet cracker. The final explosion is cool, when you blow up a planet, but the journey to get there is such a frigging pain that I'm not particularly sure why you'd use this other than the cool explosion. Area denial?

There's a few issues:

1. It takes a shittonne to even get to the point to research it. We're talking it requires its own unity ascension slot alongside endgame tech alongside more tech to research after both of those.
2. The actual ship is super weak and super slow. And can't fight.
3. It takes in-game YEARS to charge up. Then after charging up at a Snorlax's pace, it then again takes eons to actually fire. Yes, this stupid weapon has two charge up times, both taking way too long.

In the same time just for the thing to fire, you can hire 30 armies and invade the planet.

So honestly I can only see the use of this being to deny a planet to everyone. Not particularly sure what circumstances would need this as you could easily use such a spot for yourself and it's not like at this stage of the game you even care about tech or unity maluses. Maybe if the enemy planet had like.... 20 fortresses on it with 60 garrison armies?

I dunno about the other doomsday weapons. Maybe they're more useful. Unlocking the ascension perk does give you nice CBs against everyone, but also gives everyone CBs against you.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6119 on: March 14, 2018, 09:06:56 am »

I tried the shield one. It just replaced habitable worlds with sociology bonuses, heh - basically the same as the planet destroyer since the shield can't be removed. Takes months to charge up and months to fire. Still makes everyone in the galaxy hate you. Pacifist aggression yay.

The charge/fire time is kind of needed so you can't just go and glass a bunch of worlds while their fleet is flying your way. But it would be nice if it was at least a badass ship for fleet combat too. Make it like 3 titans or something.
Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409 410 ... 632