Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 425 426 [427] 428 429 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1687601 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #6390 on: May 11, 2018, 11:46:57 pm »

It's a matter of crew training. You need expert scientists to uncover new safe hyperspace paths.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6391 on: May 11, 2018, 11:58:19 pm »

Then crew your warships with some scientists as civilian contractors?
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6392 on: May 12, 2018, 12:48:44 am »

That super warp drive that only works on science ships uses the same physics as the guns that shoot faster the more outnumbered they are.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6393 on: May 12, 2018, 01:17:27 am »

Are we sure technology in Stellaris isn't just Demon powered the way technology is in the Discworld books? Would explain a lot, really.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6394 on: May 13, 2018, 09:21:42 am »

I kind of have a problem. My empire has become too large to successfully defend. I've kind of beaten my immediate neighbours, militarily speaking I'm stronger than them... but they have doomstacks of 80K while my sector fleets are at 40-50. If I gathered two or more sector fleets I'd wipe the floor with their doomstack. But if I do that then I'm leaving the backdoor of my empire open to raiding by smaller stacks  There is not a chance in hell I can move my fleets around fast enough to prevent damage.

All in all the last military campaign was rather pyrrhic. I did win the war and gain territory, but that  stretched my fleet even further
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 09:28:24 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6395 on: May 13, 2018, 10:41:01 am »

And now you are Space Rome.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6396 on: May 13, 2018, 10:46:50 am »

And now you are Space Rome.

....well...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6397 on: May 13, 2018, 10:50:15 am »

Well, that's just asking for it.  :P
Come play Mafia with us!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6398 on: May 13, 2018, 11:04:36 am »

But I'm OK!  Since I'm rich I'll just hire barbarian mercenaries to supplement my struggling armed for... oh shit.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6399 on: May 13, 2018, 12:22:36 pm »

That's an... interesting empire shape there.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6400 on: May 13, 2018, 03:00:48 pm »

I kind of have a problem. My empire has become too large to successfully defend. I've kind of beaten my immediate neighbours, militarily speaking I'm stronger than them... but they have doomstacks of 80K while my sector fleets are at 40-50. If I gathered two or more sector fleets I'd wipe the floor with their doomstack. But if I do that then I'm leaving the backdoor of my empire open to raiding by smaller stacks  There is not a chance in hell I can move my fleets around fast enough to prevent damage.

All in all the last military campaign was rather pyrrhic. I did win the war and gain territory, but that  stretched my fleet even further
Build defensive stations.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6401 on: May 13, 2018, 04:55:57 pm »

Could be worse.  My empire is in two entirely disjoint sections, but at least the empire between pieces is very friendly and invited me to a federation.  I kind of had the same problem though.  I have a rival on my western border that has comparable fleet power, and I have 3 different major routes of potential invasion I have to park fleets at for defense.  It worked, since they never even declared war despite claiming 20 of my systems or so, but stretched my fleet very thin.

Then Skynet woke up.

I suddenly found myself with two 90K fleets and a 200K fleet in the middle of my empire, and I have three main fleets of about 20K power each in distant parts of my empire.  I wasn't able to save the planet they spawned near.  :(

As of right now, I've managed to destroy the roaming fleets by combining everything I had on top of the federation fleet and multiple allied fleets joining me.  I was actually a little shocked that the other AI empires actually sent ships to help.

But now I've got nooooo idea what to do about that 200K doomstack protecting the purification hub.  My fleet is already over cap and I'm losing energy credits.  I can build a new battleship about once every 4 months, so trying to build up enough to fight it is going to take ages upon ages, by which time they're going to get reinforcements and probably eat most of the rest of the galaxy...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6402 on: May 13, 2018, 07:15:05 pm »

Stellaris would click and be just perfect if you could switch to a random primitive civilization in the same galaxy when you lose.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6403 on: May 13, 2018, 07:51:03 pm »

I have best tech (+fallen empire, but no late-tech multipliers) torpedo boats, where 150 of them gives me 100k. I have a vague recollection that refitting them to comparable tier guns would halve their power.
Is this normal? Are missiles so overpowered? I've certainly been rolling over admiral-difficulty AI with zero sweat.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6404 on: May 13, 2018, 10:13:43 pm »

I have best tech (+fallen empire, but no late-tech multipliers) torpedo boats, where 150 of them gives me 100k. I have a vague recollection that refitting them to comparable tier guns would halve their power.
Is this normal? Are missiles so overpowered? I've certainly been rolling over admiral-difficulty AI with zero sweat.
Torpedo boats are basically OP in vanilla. There's no downside as they're cheap, really powerful, have really high evasion, and ignore most defenses.

New Ship Classes has counters to it, but the AI doesn't really use them so it's still OP.
Pages: 1 ... 425 426 [427] 428 429 ... 632