Start from scratch for YG-lite
- 3 (9.1%)
Do both
- 5 (15.2%)
Do both
- 2 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 241

Author Topic: Ye Gods 2 OOC [31/137] [Sign-ups go here]  (Read 232552 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Gods 2 OOC (~24h to T2) [23/137] [Sign-ups go here]
« Reply #1560 on: September 01, 2015, 10:40:00 pm »

Perhaps there will be learnin' beforehand.

Otherwise, I'll enjoy the show, and have an umbrella handy to avoid the gibs.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: September 02, 2015, 01:36:36 am »

EDIT: Damn, Thannels are dying like flies.
Yeah that was some collateral damage this turn

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: September 02, 2015, 01:57:22 am »

Kind of curious about the Expiration cult, but not enough to actually investigate.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: September 02, 2015, 06:11:28 am »

Andres: Teacher trait: Then hopefully, you'll be fine with a compensatory time requirement of not less than 5 Ticks (the rule-of-thumb break-even ratio used here is 5:1). Given that it took over a week to get to Tick 5....
I'm fine with it. So how much will it cost?

There were a few things wrong with the Tick. One of them is actually pretty important.

Eid's afterlife is also open to the Skizani and Skarati if they cannot worship (which they can't). (Eid: -2F)
The Skizani can worship. I removed their Unworshipful trait as a Tick 3 action. This is the pretty important problem I mentioned earlier.
So long as it costs 1E or less, remove the Unworshipful trait from the Skizani. Use Ichor if necessary.
Eid has removed the Skizani's unworshipfulness. A few of them have begun worship. (Eid: -0E)

Following a challenge from Eid, Zenurion has shot plasmamancy lasers at Eid repeatedly, at least after he finishes talking... Eid responds by firing one shot at Zenurion. The two then fire concentrated single beams at each other, but they mostly just seem to pass through each other.
The problem here is that the beams should not have passed through each-other. They're not laser beams which have no mass - they're plasma beams which do. Skipping to the part of the video where it's relevant, see here why they would've started pushing against each-other.

EDIT: Better link.

Plagues of mosquitoes have erupted in Spirallion, Human, and Djinn areas.
Why would a plague of mosquitoes be a problem for Humans? They all have affinity towards Plasmamancy, meaning they can all just create a bit of fire to scare off the mosquitoes.

So I've been thinking of a few ways technological advancement can go what with the introduction of magic.

First of all, the existence of plasmamancy itself means that the general populace would know of plasma and what it is. They'll know how its electrons are separate from its atoms which means they'll also know about atoms, atomic structure, and matter in general. With their knowledge on electrons and plasmamancy-created lightning, they'll know about electricity which they'll test out on various materials. Finally, this will in turn grant them significantly easier access towards electronics and electricity.

Since Humans are technically able to make lightning with enough magical study, power plants could definitely be a thing relatively early on.

Large amounts of heat can be produced by plasmamancy, meaning that certain metals will be easier to produce.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 06:22:24 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: September 02, 2015, 06:30:11 am »

Plagues of mosquitoes have erupted in Spirallion, Human, and Djinn areas.
Why would a plague of mosquitoes be a problem for Humans? They all have affinity towards Plasmamancy, meaning they can all just create a bit of fire to scare off the mosquitoes.
Mosquitoes quite often prey on humans when they're asleep you know. And some of them don't even make that annoying noise when they fly, so you often don't notice when they suck your blood even when you're awake. And unless they can cover their entire body in fire, it's often difficult to target and take out a single, difficult to spot, flying target without large enough blasts of fire that they might damage their surroundings (like the house they're sleeping in maybe)

In fact, as things stand, I wouldn't be surprised if human cities regularly burn down due to children playing with plasmamancy.
First of all, the existence of plasmamancy itself means that the general populace would know of plasma and what it is. They'll know how its electrons are separate from its atoms which means they'll also know about atoms, atomic structure, and matter in general. With their knowledge on electrons and plasmamancy-created lightning, they'll know about electricity which they'll test out on various materials. Finally, this will in turn grant them significantly easier access towards electronics and electricity.
What? No. Magic does not automatically grant you knowledge of scientific principles related to the magic.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 06:34:39 am by Demonic Spoon »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: September 02, 2015, 06:35:35 am »

Of course, if those humans practiced Chaomancy...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #1566 on: September 02, 2015, 06:49:14 am »

General announcements: Fighting fellow gods with only magic/0-cost in general is not recommended. Unless there wouldn't be much consequence one way or the other (as during the talk-only Tick in which godslaying/sealing away/Ichor damaging wouldn't have been possible), what you pay is what you will get. Note that sufficient cleverness through, for example, baiting the victims into damaging themselves can count as payment.

Demonic Spoon: They're fine
Dryadism added, mirrors Corpomancy, Neuromancy, and San K'ruppt (1/2 free schools used)
Tree-Jutsu added, stacks Ecomancy (unused) and mirrors Putremancy (2/2 free schools used)

Dutrius: I'm already tracking organizations (so many PC-started organizations already!), so yes.

Happy Demon and Lord_lemonpie: Ichor should count as sapient's blood, I think

DreamerGhost: Resurrective immortality does apply for races too

Rolepgeek: Fixing now, new populations are 133810 Púrén and 4240 Zhāngzī (adding the intended population increase on top rather than 90% of it as might be expected approximates usual population growth)

Andres: I'd intended for the "(which they can't)" part to refer to the Skarati, but your explanation of the events is correct. Also, watching videos is a bit on the inadvisable side right now what with having very limited bandwidth...

As for mosquitoes, I didn't say it was a problem, just that it happened. (Seeing as "plague" can be used for disease outbreaks, pest outbreaks, and horrifyingly lethal  combinations thereof, I see why this may be ambiguous)

Also, magic doesn't provide knowledge of its principles automatically. Depending on the availability and forms of magic, it can also end up hindering closer examination of mundane phenomena through the excuse "it's just magic" or provide tools to make interesting discoveries (or just flat out make them magical discoveries and be done with the intractable magic-science split). Part of it depends on how closely the magic follows natural law. Off the top of my head, I think the following concepts will take a fair bit longer to discover in the YG2verse than in real life:
  • Psychology and family from the probably high-level (~abstraction) schools on playing with minds (but this could go the other way)
  • Conservation of mass/energy from plasmamancy
  • Thermodynamics and an understanding of entropy from chaomancy

$$$Response
Demonic Spoon:
Grant all mundane trees rudimentary intelligence ([Intelligence-3]): 1E uncontested, 2E/opposer or 2:1 supporter:opposer ratio otherwise

Andres:
[Teacher+1 (Non-exotic affinity)]: <x4>

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: September 02, 2015, 07:05:44 am »

Also, watching videos is a bit on the inadvisable side right now what with having very limited bandwidth...
Let me just quote what the guy said, then. It's by Film Theory, same guy who makes Game Theory.

Link 1:
"...and at high temperatures, plasma becomes thicker, more viscous, to the level that it can physically be pushed. That's why everyone from Frieza to Buu can try to stop these things [(Kamehameha and other energy attacks)] with their hands. It's also how in that earlier example, Gohan's wave [(the wave being the Kamehameha)] can push Cell's back into the sky; it's a denser plasma beam able to overcome the momentum of his attack. It's also how Goku is able to form a ki shield; it's the same plasma shield technology that the company Boeing has just patented."

Link 2:
"Would one plasma beam be able to push against another? Well, yes! In real life it's difficult to find examples that are nearly that spectacular or focused but putting two plasma balls together and watching their beams strike each-other, you see them pushing against one-another..."

Also, as the creator of the school, shouldn't I get a say on how it functions?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 07:23:58 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #1568 on: September 02, 2015, 07:57:48 am »

Hmm, interesting. I'll keep that in mind for future uses of plasmamancy. (Updated understanding: Their plasma blasts/lasers follow not natural law but another work's laws, resulting in fights closer in principle to arm wrestling.)

You do get a say, but producing expected results on my end depends on my having understood what ought to happen. I can't be informed on everything instantly and need time to work on other things as well, so explaining player-made stuff is best done by players.

What the whole "what you pay is what you get" deal is intended to do is protect the players from other players stomping on each other or disrupting the setting excessively through lazy/cheap methods. It leaves something to be desired that I, as the GM, assume absolute control over this, but a Council proposal for every little thing's cost/possibility would slow down everything, likely reducing the overall enjoyment (not to mention many dislike the Council as a hard-coded all-powerful thing in the first place). This is my explanation for why making novice-marked stuff excessively disruptive/powerful will reduce novice use of magic even for those with affinities (access vs. ability), why 0-energy actions will almost invariably provide less benefit than paid actions, and why certain things go past being marked as Wonders and straight into fiat "no"s.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: September 02, 2015, 08:15:05 am »

Does "The power of love/friendship/trust" actually do anything? I mean, is it basically what it says on the tin, deus ex machina where the power of "x" conquers all obstacles?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 08:25:26 am by Demonic Spoon »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: September 02, 2015, 08:22:00 am »

Hmm, interesting. I'll keep that in mind for future uses of plasmamancy. (Updated understanding: Their plasma blasts/lasers follow not natural law but another work's laws, resulting in fights closer in principle to arm wrestling.)
Actually, it is based on natural laws. The video I linked to is explaining how Dragon Ball Z works in terms of real world physics. In DBZ, those energy attacks aren't mentioned as being plasma - they're only known as "energy" attacks. The video guy simply explained how the attacks would work from an RL standpoint. Plasmamancy follows natural law. If it followed DBZ law, it would have nothing to do with plasma.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 08:44:32 am by Andres »

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: September 02, 2015, 08:31:03 am »

Does "The power of love/friendship/trust" actually do anything? I mean, is it basically what it says on the tin, deus ex machina where the power of "x" conquers all obstacles?
I price-checked them via PM on purpose. Considering all other traits have honest descriptions, it's admittedly a bit weird only they have been kept secret. But trust me, they truly are the greatest treasures of all!
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: September 02, 2015, 09:32:11 am »

--

Edit: Damn, wrong thread.
I like cats, they're smart and mysterious, and their kittens adorable.

I'm a Forum Demon, expect to find me lurking, and knowing random details.

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #1573 on: September 02, 2015, 09:36:05 am »

Demonic Spoon and IcyTea31: Power of friendship/love/trust: I thought I was being perfectly (yet unhelpfully) honest with the description. :P

Andres: The same natural laws that would presumably knock the participants back, incinerate them or their surroundings, blind them, or perhaps even irradiate them lethally? :P

While I don't particularly care about violating natural law in YG2 (else there wouldn't be any magic or it would be more expensive), I think you may be overestimating the real life developmental state/utility of weaponized plasma a bit.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: September 02, 2015, 09:58:53 am »

STIRK CRANKY MORNING POST GOOOOOO!

Am I the only one a bit annoyed that
1. Andres carbon-copied a magic school.
2. Andres is assuming things about that magic school to make it over powered again?

The fact that he is basing all his things around it just makes it even more irritating.

Plasmamancy: The magical manipulation of all things plasma. Can be used for fire, lightning, and "energy" attacks.

This is the description of "Plasma" given, which means it fits in with what KJP said happens.

The problem here is that the beams should not have passed through each-other. They're not laser beams which have no mass - they're plasma beams which do. Skipping to the part of the video where it's relevant, see here why they would've started pushing against each-other.

What? Gas has mass. If you where throwing balls of gas at each other, they would mostly just pass through each other. Assuming there aren't "Steller-Core" density plasma (Which would kill the user, as humans ain't fireproof) we are looking at 10^7m^-3 particles per cubic meter. In fact, plasma is basically ionized gas, two plasma balls would just pass through each other in the same way gas does, if you ignore field interactions.

I looked at the video, and it isn't exactly a scholarly source. The balls aren't pushing against each other, the suns aren't pushing against each other, he never gave a single plausible example of plasma pushing plasma. From what I can tell Plasma still follows the same kinetic molecular theory that gas does. The links suggest that there there isn't a lot different from gasses about their makeup. (Nasa text link on a Dawn-project thing).

Basically, the fact that Plasma has mass is irrelevant. The only interactions they could have with each other would involve their various non-contact forces, which would not just hit against each other like it does in DBZ, especially if they are traveling at any decent speed.

1. Overestimating magic's power
2. Human's don't notice every mosquito
3. As these aren't Earth's mosquitos, they would instead learn that fire means food instead of fear. If anything, they would be attracted to it rather than running away.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO BASES for that. From their perspective, its "I'm shooting a fireball!". Nothing more. They do not understand the smaller things about it. They don't understand how it works yet. They don't understand how plasma works. They don't even understand how magic works. And neither does their God, apparently.

Why would they know how all these things work?

Since Humans are technically able to make lightning with enough magical study, power plants could definitely be a thing relatively early on.

Like I said before:
1. Modern humans don't have this technology yet, to turn lightning directly into electricity, so there is no reason these humans would be able to.
2. Human's aren't fireproof. Or electric proof.

Large amounts of heat can be produced by plasmamancy, meaning that certain metals will be easier to produce.

Humans. Aren't. Fireproof. If they get something hot enough to produce any metal that requirs intense heat, it will kill them if they try to make it in an iron forge.

"...and at high temperatures, plasma becomes thicker, more viscous, to the level that it can physically be pushed. That's why everyone from Frieza to Buu can try to stop these things [(Kamehameha and other energy attacks)] with their hands. It's also how in that earlier example, Gohan's wave [(the wave being the Kamehameha)] can push Cell's back into the sky; it's a denser plasma beam able to overcome the momentum of his attack. It's also how Goku is able to form a ki shield; it's the same plasma shield technology that the company Boeing has just patented."

Nope, just no. Boeing's "plasma shield" is a way to make the air around the plane denser to prevent explosion's shock wave. Not other plasma. Basically, shock waves are a bit like sound waves, in that they are energy quickly traveling through air. By making that air more dense, they hope to block or divert most of the force. It will not protect against other plasma, if we tried using it. To put it this way, imagine that the air is a keyboard and the force is a pianist. The pianist can only hit a certain number of keys before getting tired. If the keyboard only has 10 keys, he can play them all easily. If you put 100 keys on the keyboard, the piano player has trouble hitting them all without getting tired.

It has nothing to do with plasma being able to be thrown, and while it is a bit more dense then air, it isn't to the point it can physically hit into other particles reliably.

"Would one plasma beam be able to push against another? Well, yes! In real life it's difficult to find examples that are nearly that spectacular or focused but putting two plasma balls together and watching their beams strike each-other, you see them pushing against one-another..."

They aren't pushing on each other. Certainly not in the way Andres is describing. In the second one, he is putting two tesla coils next to each other and watching them interact. If you pay attention, they are actually pulling on each other.

Actually, it is based on natural laws. The video I linked to is explaining how Dragon Ball Z works in terms of real world physics. In DBZ, those energy attacks aren't mentioned as being plasma - they're only known as "energy" attacks. The video guy simply explained how the attacks would work from an RL standpoint. Plasmamancy follows natural law. If it followed DBZ law, it would have nothing to do with plasma.

No, no he didn't. He just tossed around a bunch of terms and pretended that they did. It really isn't worth your time, KJP.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 10:02:07 am by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 241