Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 164

Author Topic: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)  (Read 198457 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)
« Reply #120 on: November 07, 2015, 05:41:23 pm »

Still, it'd be boots on the ground, Israeli soldiers getting killed, Arabs being killed by Jews... It'd be a whole different league.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 07, 2015, 05:48:12 pm »

How do you two feel about Israel colonizing the Golan Heights, anyway?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #122 on: November 07, 2015, 05:49:12 pm »

I don't entirely know how they're treated
Rather well, actually. While the Druze are very insistent on being Syrian due to religious reasons, they and the Israelis get on just fine. In fact the one known trigger for Israeli involvement in the Syrian civil war is Druze-related: If someone starts fucking over the Syrian Druze population, they'll get the Six Day treatment.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
To continue on this vein of thought, major oil reserves have been found in the golan heights. The volume of oil is potentially in the billions of barrels worth, more than enough to supply Israel's energy needs for the forseeable future. Most interesting; it remains to be seen whether this oil will be economically viable now or in the future.

With Jews you Druze

How do you two feel about Israel colonizing the Golan Heights, anyway?
Cheecki breecki

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 07, 2015, 05:50:42 pm »

DANGIT LW THIS WAS A PERSONAL CONVERSATION BEING BROADCAST TO THE ENTIRE FORUM TO READ YOU HAD NO RIGHT TO INTERFERE

okay so maybe colonize is a less-than-neutral term
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #124 on: November 07, 2015, 05:52:39 pm »

My interfering is a subtle commentary on the interference of foreign nations in personal middle east affairs

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 07, 2015, 06:38:45 pm »

okay so maybe colonize is a less-than-neutral term
Yeah. I believe the usual terminus is 'loaded question'.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 07, 2015, 07:40:57 pm »

No this is a pure click bate

How is something that's not even on their website "click bait?" A click bait is a headline (or possibly image) used to direct hits to a site. But Charlie Hebdo did not publish the cartoon online, nor do they sell advertising on the site. And we don't see a copy of this cartoon used in any sort of promotional aspect relating to Charlie Hebdo. Charlie Hebdo don't seem to have drawn any particular attention to the specific comic. So there's no evidence that they used this specific cartoon in any sort of marketing context.

To see the image you must have already bought the print comic. It was inside a magazine sold in France, so some Russian person had to go to France, actually buy the comic, get outraged that there was a cartoon about Russia, then take a photo of the cartoon and upload it so that we could see it. Which is a pretty convoluted way to drum up publicity.

It's like saying "on page 73 of your new book, there was a statement I found offensive so I wrote a blog saying how offended I was about it", and then claiming the author of the book was responsible for the clickbait. No, clearly the offended blogger is the one generating clicks.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 08:06:51 pm by Reelya »

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 08, 2015, 06:37:36 am »

Wondering, why part of media belonging to the state  still insists on the plane falling apart certainly not because of bomb.
Bomb version seems to be best version for them to promote.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 08, 2015, 06:46:55 am »

They've been peddling the "it was technical difficulties" version pretty hard since the first day. Changing the version at this point would make them look silly, and there are plenty of reasons to imagine why it would be bad for them, both internally and externally.
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 08, 2015, 06:57:01 am »

According to German media part of the reason is that Putin does not wish to offend Egypt, whose airport security is a little lax to say the least.
The Bay12 postcard club

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 08, 2015, 07:02:53 am »

It's not just offending. This kind of attacks could devastate Egypt's tourism industry.

Also, I guess admitting it was a bomb could diminish support for his intervention in Syria.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 08, 2015, 07:09:41 am »

They've been peddling the "it was technical difficulties" version pretty hard since the first day. Changing the version at this point would make them look silly, and there are plenty of reasons to imagine why it would be bad for them, both internally and externally.

Internally it may give Putin support, same as it was with houses in Moscow getting blown up during second chechen war. The overall response was artillery shell them harder, what he did.
Externally this may make bombings in syria more valid, as it proves, that guys he bombs are quite dangerous and deserving to have some bombs rain on them
Meanwhile, the shitty old plane version gives reason to suspect state plane quality control of being rather meh.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 08, 2015, 07:44:42 am »

Apparently Russia suspended all flights to Egypt two days ago, so the bomb narrative seems to be gaining traction.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

boki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 08, 2015, 10:07:18 am »

No this is a pure click bate

How is something that's not even on their website "click bait?" A click bait is a headline (or possibly image) used to direct hits to a site. But Charlie Hebdo did not publish the cartoon online, nor do they sell advertising on the site. And we don't see a copy of this cartoon used in any sort of promotional aspect relating to Charlie Hebdo. Charlie Hebdo don't seem to have drawn any particular attention to the specific comic. So there's no evidence that they used this specific cartoon in any sort of marketing context.

To see the image you must have already bought the print comic. It was inside a magazine sold in France, so some Russian person had to go to France, actually buy the comic, get outraged that there was a cartoon about Russia, then take a photo of the cartoon and upload it so that we could see it. Which is a pretty convoluted way to drum up publicity.

It's like saying "on page 73 of your new book, there was a statement I found offensive so I wrote a blog saying how offended I was about it", and then claiming the author of the book was responsible for the clickbait. No, clearly the offended blogger is the one generating clicks.

Heh, that's actually even worse. Click bait, controversial/insulting publications or call it whatever you want. The end result is same, post bullshit things that are insulting to make as much buzz in medias so they get as much as possible exposure from it (free marketing, more sells, more clicks on their site and similar crap). And thats why they are shit  Doesnt matter where its sold, bullshit is bullshit.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 10:49:29 am by boki »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 08, 2015, 10:52:19 am »

What? No, they are a newspaper that specialize in making fun of everything. They've been doing that for 30 years. I'm not even sorry if you're offended, because it just mean they did their job right.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 164