Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 249691 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: the Great Divide
« Reply #465 on: January 25, 2016, 08:31:32 am »

"And he presumably wanted to pay you for the rats or something?"
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: January 25, 2016, 08:45:02 am »

"The bottle. For rats. I wanted *random gurgle* location of minder. Crazy."
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: January 25, 2016, 08:58:10 am »

"Huh. Probably should've chosen a saner guy to bargain with, then. On the plus side, you don't seem to have died yet from that severed artery you have, against all my knowledge of how bleeding out works, so I'd say you have a decent chance of survive if he stops throwing bottle pieces at you."
Sig! Onol

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: January 25, 2016, 09:43:03 am »

Thomas sighed, then stood up and nodded.  "I will do that, then.  You certainly have been one of the more helpful people I have met today.  Thank you for your assistance, and give Sureness Assurance a call if you ever have any insurance needs.  Ask for Thomas Minstep."

Depart!  See if I can find a guard to lead me to a "minder."
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: January 25, 2016, 10:35:10 am »

"Huh. Probably should've chosen a saner guy to bargain with, then. On the plus side, you don't seem to have died yet from that severed artery you have, against all my knowledge of how bleeding out works, so I'd say you have a decent chance of survive if he stops throwing bottle pieces at you."

"Huh, you are right. So please do not use me as a shield, ok?"
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: the Second Sun
« Reply #470 on: January 25, 2016, 11:46:59 am »

I nod. "Is there anyone you're thinking of specifically? Someone who would be interested, maybe?"

She leads you by the hand to her doorstep, ushering you out. Try one of the masons, she whispers as she guides you out. They would very much love the idea of escape, she is sure. Perhaps even enough to go down there.

Now, though, she says in a louder tone, she is very sorry, but she cannot help you with this. The well is far too dangerous. She pauses a moment as she briefly notices that it seems to be daylight outside. And also very hot. She looks at you in confusion, gives you a conspiratorial nod and disappears back inside.

"Hmm. On second thought, that intensifying light doesn't really seem all that healthy. Probably that one guy with the magic laser rock doing battle with the stoats or something, I'll wait down here until he's done. What did you want me to elaborate about?

Oh and bottle dude, quit throwing those bottle bits about, you're getting kinda close to me and I'm not adverse to testing out my strength on you."

Elaborate for minder girl about well experience. If crazy bottle dude keeps being annoying and throwing bottle bits everywhere, pick up Erikson and use him to block any incoming shots while I walk towards Bottle Guy in order to squish him into paste.

She is glad that you see things her way - if more people did (more importantly, if the well did), certainly life would be easier for all involved. It is... huh. Very strange. The shape of the well is elusive in your mind, its words more so. It seems it does not care so much about what you do, she concludes after a quick examination of your mind. Rather, it is what you are that seems to agree with it. Curious. Very curious.

As she roots around in your skull idly, you turn to look at the shady guy trying to murder Mr. Erikson across a short distance. It is very rude to throw broken glass in the presence of barefoot individuals, you tell him. He responds with the fact that it is also somewhat rude to throw people into dark pits without being specifically asked to, but this did not seem to stop Mr. Erikson from doing exactly that to him, and never once did it occur to the bastard to even try and apologize. Clearly he must die for his crimes, do you not agree?

On an unrelated note, you look like a man with a healthy appreciation for the weaponization potential of broken glass, as demonstrated on the unfortunate Mr. Erikson. While the death of Mr. Erikson would be highly desirable, the shady fellow would also accept a fee of a single rat, living or dead, for all of the fragments of a possibly blue bottle in his position as well as a discount on any future purchases for being such a good sport. They are very good fragments. Very sharp - few edges as sharp as well-broken glass. They're going fast, too - jump on the offer before it's too late! For another demonstration, check this-

His eyes suddenly roll into the back of his head and he keels over. Well, you suppose that takes care of that.

Awful lot of sun going to waste where the stoats ain't.

Let's narrow the SUNbeams.

You elect to fix the lack of burning stoats in your own particular way.

SUN

[Word: 6]

The false sun pulses and narrows, turning from star to spotlight, its hot and baking light growing incredibly intense as it bathes the not-on-fire parts of the surrounding landscape in desiccating heat. You have the feeling you're about to develop quite the malignant sunburn as a stoat spontaneously bursts into flames outside the castle walls, followed by two or three more.

"Stop throwing stuff at me *wheeze* that's not how you do business! *more wheezing* You are giving all your goods away! *oh lord my lungs* Hey mighty minder, would you please make him stop? *sweet Freyja help me* Can't do business with you if he kills me."

Politely reject the position of being used as a human shield. I desperately need to find something protective.

[Minder's Aid: 6]

She looks at you for a moment, then at Mr. Daniels, then at the awful shadowbastard who keeps attacking you. Eh, not a problem. She gives the fellow a stern look, and in response he immediately loses consciousness. Impulsive types are her favorite kind of stranger, the girl relates. So easy to catch by surprise.

Now then,, you seemed to imply you had something for her. And you do bear a certain mental resemblance to the exceptional Mr. Daniels. Would you care to step through that door over there, she looks at a patch of dark wall with bright letters asking you to be staying in away. She's guessing it'll let you through just as nicely as it did him.

Thomas sighed, then stood up and nodded.  "I will do that, then.  You certainly have been one of the more helpful people I have met today.  Thank you for your assistance, and give Sureness Assurance a call if you ever have any insurance needs.  Ask for Thomas Minstep."

Depart!  See if I can find a guard to lead me to a "minder."

You step out of the queen's quarters and find yourself standing next to her two nervous guards.

[Aid of the Guards: 5]

Could one of them lead you to the minders, you ask. They seem doubtful for a moment, but then the queen tells you that you're acting on her authority here, which seems to catch the guards by surprise. One of them, a red-haired fellow with a very youthful face, offers to take you. The queen applauds him on his initiative, and tells him to report back when he's seen to it that all of your questions have been answered.

You head out of the keep in short order, and the guard seems rather surprised that it seems to be bright out. As it starts to get incredibly uncomfortably hot as well, the two of you wisely quicken your pace and head inside a nearby ancient-looking cob tower, its foreboding metal-braced door opening readily for the two of you.

Shortly afterward you are inside a large, well-kept sitting hall, where the guard bids you to take a seat. The minders will see you two when they're ready, he says. He's done this before once, you see. You look around a bit, and spot several holes in the domed ceiling of the hall. That's where the minders are going to show up, the guard adds as he follows your gaze. Feeling confident that he's doing a great job of showing you around, he gives you an excited two thumbs up. You nod politely and look back up.

Something's changed. You think you see a vague shadow in one of the ceiling alcoves. A child's head peeks out at you, its eyes becoming like dinner plates as you meet its gaze. Oh cr- uh, what are you looking for?

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: January 25, 2016, 12:10:42 pm »

"Ah, thank you. Handy thing that minder thing. So that lady of the castle who's been locked into solitary confinement teached me some preliminary minder aptitude test, which I found really easy, so I figured maybe I should become a minder myself? You see, minder is just one d away from miner, so upgrade should be easy, right? But I guess I could try the door first."

Leif turns to Daniels "So there's devil behind the door and you made deal with it? Did it occur to you to check what you are exactly trading?"

Also step through the door.
Old sigs.
Games.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: January 25, 2016, 12:18:12 pm »

Head into the tower, if there's no opening have the stone knock out a window so I can see what I'm doing, and rake searing hell across the stoats.

"Red hot SUN, won't you come, and wash away the stain..."
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: January 25, 2016, 01:02:52 pm »

"Sir guard, thank you very much; you've been most helpful.  Send my regards and thanks to your supervisor."  Thomas turned his attention fully to the high face.  "Ah, yes.  I have been sent here by the... queen, yes, as I have been told the minders know more than anyone else here.  My name is Thomas Minstep, and I arrived here sometime tonight.  Most unexpectedly, really, since the last thing I remember is that I was asleep in my bed, but then I'm waking up naked stuffed into a sack.  Rats were referenced, I believed.  Now, the queen led me to believe that the minders may know something of this.  Are you a minder?  If not, may I please speak with them?  If so, what do you know?"

Get to the bottom of this
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: January 25, 2016, 06:25:36 pm »

"It wants connections, whatever those are. Good luck!"

He then addresses the girl.
"So, are you a minder? How'd you obtain your power, if so?"

Go crush the unconscious guy's skull before he wakes up, don't need his shitty sales pitches again.
Sig! Onol

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: January 25, 2016, 06:35:07 pm »

Okay, I've got one thing to take care of first. I walk over to the well, and as I do I imagine the bodies of the minders there sinking into the ground. When I arrive I lean over the edge and speak, "Earth, the dead belong to you. You know this and you HUNGER for them. Take what is yours."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 26, 2016, 03:55:07 pm »

"Ah, thank you. Handy thing that minder thing. So that lady of the castle who's been locked into solitary confinement teached me some preliminary minder aptitude test, which I found really easy, so I figured maybe I should become a minder myself? You see, minder is just one d away from miner, so upgrade should be easy, right? But I guess I could try the door first."

Leif turns to Daniels "So there's devil behind the door and you made deal with it? Did it occur to you to check what you are exactly trading?"

Also step through the door.

The girl is unimpressed by your insights. Pah, what does she know. What does anyone know, really? Even Mr. Daniels, stepping through an enchanted door with only the vaguest notion of what lies on the other side simply because some random stranger asked him to.

That being said, you step through the black door at the minder girl's request. It opens not as a normal door - it sinks away at your touch, shying away until its matter disappears into what appears like a void. Perhaps something even emptier - a yawning hole in the fabric of reality, supported by nothing, having eaten the foundations it may have once had in a time before time. It peers into you deeply, your thoughts and words trickling into it before you've even begun to form them. You stop after your first step, unsure whether to proceed - looking back, however, the exit grows increasingly distant regardless, the dark well enfolding it, shrinking it until it disappears from sight.

Welcome. It has been some time. Provide a question and a desire. Speak plainly and receive the same.

Head into the tower, if there's no opening have the stone knock out a window so I can see what I'm doing, and rake searing hell across the stoats.

"Red hot SUN, won't you come, and wash away the stain..."

[Architectural Benevolence: 5]

You duck down into the nearby stairwell, your stone following along through the ceiling-hole it made previously. Luckily, there is a perfectly good window right at the top of the tower, in the middle of what you assume to be a meditation hall based on the abundance of cushions on the floor and arcane-looking motivational texts (or perhaps what pass for magical spells among minders, you're not entirely sure) carved over every inch of the walls and ceiling. It's a long window, running in a semi-circle along the hall, and doesn't even have any glass in it. Must get a bit drafty here in the winter. But no matter - a view of stoats you have sought, and a view of stoats you most assuredly get. Now for some further punishment.

SUN

[Word: 1]

The false sun pauses in the sky, intrigued by your thought. You wish for it to come closer, then? It shall.

[Red Glare: 3]

You see it flit about as it moves closer in sweeping arcs, growing larger and more oppressive in the sky. The heat draws out the water from your body. The walls begin to run, the words on them growing increasingly illegible. The cushions start to catch on fire violently. The stoats start to fire at the approaching sun-beast for lack of any better ideas - no bolts reach, some being vaporized before even coming close. It is a great and ponderous thing, your false sun, but it comes for you with an unsettling inevitability.

"Sir guard, thank you very much; you've been most helpful.  Send my regards and thanks to your supervisor."  Thomas turned his attention fully to the high face.  "Ah, yes.  I have been sent here by the... queen, yes, as I have been told the minders know more than anyone else here.  My name is Thomas Minstep, and I arrived here sometime tonight.  Most unexpectedly, really, since the last thing I remember is that I was asleep in my bed, but then I'm waking up naked stuffed into a sack.  Rats were referenced, I believed.  Now, the queen led me to believe that the minders may know something of this.  Are you a minder?  If not, may I please speak with them?  If so, what do you know?"

Get to the bottom of this

[Competence of the Number Two: 2]

Uh, well, it's been a weird day for everyone. And there's been, like, a change in management? The head girl's now the, er, mistress of the tower, was it? He doesn't really know what's going on, so, uh, sorry about that. Maybe you can come back later when the head girl gets back? She went off to, like, do something.

... is it getting hot in here? You think it's getting hot in here. It is, er, getting hot in here, now that he thinks about it. It's probably the, uh, weirdo with the glowing rock? He's kind of, er, dangerous that way, the minder has noticed.

"It wants connections, whatever those are. Good luck!"

He then addresses the girl.
"So, are you a minder? How'd you obtain your power, if so?"

Go crush the unconscious guy's skull before he wakes up, don't need his shitty sales pitches again.

Practice, the girl says. Lots and lots of grueling practice and an ungodly amount of time invested, and even that's only provided results because she's got a knack for it. She's been at this for... well, as long as she can actually remember. 6 years? 7, tops. She's mastered the beginning feats of reality earlier than most, she notes as she floats up a foot in the air to demonstrate.

Interesting, you say as you nonchalantly step over to the disabled shady fellow and thoughtfully crumple his skull into homogeneity, then wipe the resultant gore off on his ugly shawl. Was that really necessary, she asks. You reply that it's poor form to walk around with filthy hands where you come from.

HUNGER

You pause a second. That sounds familiar. The ground stirs for a second. Looking around, you spot the conspicuous absence of any evidence against you in a potential murder trial. The other three guys are gone too.

Okay, I've got one thing to take care of first. I walk over to the well, and as I do I imagine the bodies of the minders there sinking into the ground. When I arrive I lean over the edge and speak, "Earth, the dead belong to you. You know this and you HUNGER for them. Take what is yours."

The smell wafting out of the well convinces you of the rightness of this course of action.

HUNGER

[Word: 4]

The earth wakens for an instant. Its instinct is sharper this time. Clearer, more practiced. You do not hear it from the distance, or see it in the darkness below. But it moves without error, emboldened by your permission.

You look at the ground. It waits patiently.

[Red Glare: 1]

The air starts to burn. You look at the sky and see a descending midnight sun. Your dress catches fire in the heat and drought as the glare blinds you momentarily.

[Touch of Flame: 1]

You have exactly three movements at your disposal. In your confusion and surprise you neglect to consider them well. Flames envelop you. You flail and scream. All things you touch burst into flame. The glare bites into your flesh, digs down to your bones and stabs into every nerve it can find, the boiling agony tripping every priority alert your nervous system can think of presently.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 04:23:09 pm by Harry Baldman »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 26, 2016, 04:20:29 pm »

"Yes, well, AC units do tend to go out.  That's more of a warranty policy than insurance, though.  We don't offer those.  Anyway, should I wait here for her?  Do you know where she went?

... do you know where Albany is?"

Ask.  Ignore special effects.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 26, 2016, 04:32:54 pm »

"No! Not what I meant! Please return to your previous altitude! SHit Shit Shit PROTECT ME, MOON."
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 26, 2016, 04:59:43 pm »

"Hey girl, did you hear that? I heard it. It said Hunger, and that was what made me do ... well, whatever it was that I did when I ate the stoat back at the ritual circle. Coupled with what the well told me ... whoever did that to me is up there!"

Jack looks up at the top of the well for a moment and promptly reconsiders jumping up there; that sunlight guy must really be going enthusiastically over the stoats.

"Well, good luck to whoever it is up there - I'm certainly not going up into the scorching sun.
That blacksmith better survive. Also the majordomo. I've got business with the both of them and it wouldn't be very nice to have it spoiled."

Jack turns again to the minder kid.

"Sorry for the rambling. How do the basics go, if you don't mind explaining? Judging by the current apocalypse going on up there we might be down here a while."
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 161