Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 249676 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: the Second Sun
« Reply #480 on: January 26, 2016, 09:14:29 pm »

oh my god what is happening

it wasn't supposed to be like this

I crawl into the well.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 26, 2016, 10:09:47 pm »

If I notice her falling, catch her. Might as well be polite.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 27, 2016, 12:17:59 am »

I crawl into the well.

You can't be under siege if you're dead! :D
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 27, 2016, 01:49:41 am »

"Oh. Hi. Nice to meet you. I don't remember being here before, though. And... ah, I heard you take connections as a payment, but I find myself wondering what this connection truly is. I cannot do trade properly if I don't know what I'm selling."
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: January 27, 2016, 04:39:33 am »

"Yes, well, AC units do tend to go out.  That's more of a warranty policy than insurance, though.  We don't offer those.  Anyway, should I wait here for her?  Do you know where she went?

... do you know where Albany is?"

Ask.  Ignore special effects.

Probably best you wait, yeah. If you went out to, like, look for her, odds are you'd miss each other. That's, like, really annoying when it happens, you know what he means.

[Alien Geographies: 4]

As for Albany... uh... sounds kinda familiar, actually. Is it, uh, near anything else?

"No! Not what I meant! Please return to your previous altitude! SHit Shit Shit PROTECT ME, MOON."

There is no problem that magic can cause that yet more magic cannot fix.

MOON

[Word: 4]

A blemish spreads along the surface of the sun-beast, growing and spreading slowly, creating a miniature eclipse as it reaches full size, plunging the surrounding area into partial shadow and granting it a reprieve from the heat even as the solar creature floats closer, seeking to touch its creator. You suppose you've bought yourself some much-needed time.

"Hey girl, did you hear that? I heard it. It said Hunger, and that was what made me do ... well, whatever it was that I did when I ate the stoat back at the ritual circle. Coupled with what the well told me ... whoever did that to me is up there!"

Jack looks up at the top of the well for a moment and promptly reconsiders jumping up there; that sunlight guy must really be going enthusiastically over the stoats.

"Well, good luck to whoever it is up there - I'm certainly not going up into the scorching sun.
That blacksmith better survive. Also the majordomo. I've got business with the both of them and it wouldn't be very nice to have it spoiled."

Jack turns again to the minder kid.

"Sorry for the rambling. How do the basics go, if you don't mind explaining? Judging by the current apocalypse going on up there we might be down here a while."
If I notice her falling, catch her. Might as well be polite.

Yeah, those are "words", she explains. Bad news from what she knows. Best stay away from them.

As for the basics of minding, that's not something she'd particularly care to teach you at the moment, as even if the apocalypse is happening right outside, there are plainly better uses of one's time. It's like trying to teach someone trigonometry from the ground up - an awful lot of work for the little benefit it would provide. She could teach you the basic aptitude requirements for fun, she supposes. Those are pretty easy. It starts a little bit like this-

[Gentleman's Catch: 1]

Your careful listening is interrupted when Ms. Minett suddenly lands on top of you. Her considerable hotness succeeds in setting your world on fire in record time.

[Touch of Flame: 2]

In fact, you experience something of a hard time as you begin to feel the heat. It is a very distracting sensation that persists even after she rolls off you in an attempt to put out your shared flames.

I crawl into the well.

[A Safe Descent: 3]

You grab onto the chain as you frantically drop into the well, sliding halfway along it before your hands give out and you lose your grip, dropping down atop the naked Mr. Daniels, who catches fire perhaps a little less readily than you did, but catches fire nevertheless. He proves to be of shockingly little help.

[Touch of Flame: 2]

You wonder how it is that you're still burning. Is there anything combustible even left on you?

"Oh. Hi. Nice to meet you. I don't remember being here before, though. And... ah, I heard you take connections as a payment, but I find myself wondering what this connection truly is. I cannot do trade properly if I don't know what I'm selling."

To find out what a connection is you must spend one connection. The purchase would also entail the fulfillment of one desire, which can also be a question.

Spoiler: Hot Tip of the Day (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 27, 2016, 05:14:10 am »

"Oh dear. If you can help put my fire out I'd appreciate it."

Stop drop and roll! Smother the fire! Use the gore from the dude if there's any left, pack dirt on it if there isn't. Better dirty than burning to death.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: January 27, 2016, 07:54:12 am »

"That's... interesting way to do business. In light of this I say each of my connections are worth of two questions and fulfillment of two desires."

Haggle with demons.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: January 27, 2016, 08:30:13 am »

I roll around on the ground in an attempt to put the fire out. And... oh, no. I was carrying those flammable rat stick things. I let out a long groan.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 09:06:37 am by penguinofhonor »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: January 27, 2016, 08:59:12 am »

((I admire your strategic use of burning nudity, players))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: January 27, 2016, 09:32:10 am »

((I admire your strategic use of burning nudity, players))

(( *waves*  Shockingly, my character is neither alight nor unclothed.  Not vomiting, either.))

"Finally!  Albany, capital of New York?  United States of America?  On the Hudson River?  Near Saratoga Springs?"  A hand map is emoted into the air.

Getting somewhere, perhaps?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: January 27, 2016, 12:47:04 pm »

Please slow down? Like, a lot?
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: January 28, 2016, 04:28:26 pm »

"Oh dear. If you can help put my fire out I'd appreciate it."

Stop drop and roll! Smother the fire! Use the gore from the dude if there's any left, pack dirt on it if there isn't. Better dirty than burning to death.

[Drowning the Blaze: 3]

You stop. You drop. You try not to scream too much. And then you roll in a placid manner. There is unfortunately no gore left, the kindly earth spirit having done you the favor of disposing of any and all traces of mischief in this dungeon, but it works nevertheless.

It works eventually, anyway. At least you're only red and covered in weeping blisters unlike the much less fortunate Ms. Minett.

"That's... interesting way to do business. In light of this I say each of my connections are worth of two questions and fulfillment of two desires."

Haggle with demons.

Your assessment is incorrect. But your effort is appreciated. In light of this, you may instead pay in a fraction of all future connections made.

I roll around on the ground in an attempt to put the fire out. And... oh, no. I was carrying those flammable rat stick things. I let out a long groan.

[Drowning the Blaze: 6]

Thinking quicker now that you've acclimatized to being on fire, you roll into the nearby stack of ancient drapes, setting them ablaze instantly, then roll out, having successfully distracted your flames with a much more tempting target. Another upshot that you immediately notice is the far better lighting that results from the burning pile you just created, though unfortunately it does expose the rather pernicious filth of the area as well.

Anyway, you think you'll be fine after somebody manages to give you some full-body skin grafts. And maybe a wig, too.

"Finally!  Albany, capital of New York?  United States of America?  On the Hudson River?  Near Saratoga Springs?"  A hand map is emoted into the air.

Getting somewhere, perhaps?

[A Nudge of the Noggin: 1]

Wait, Albany? Sorry, uh, he thought you meant Albine. That was the place he was thinking of, yeah. The seat of the Principality of the Elder Peaks. The source of the White Madness and the exit of the god-vents.

He can, like, tell you how to get there? Does that help?

Please slow down? Like, a lot?

[Daring - To Stop the Sun: 1]

It cannot. It must not. Its progress is already far too slow.

It can sense your trepidation. Fear not, little brother. You are but two halves of each other. When you know the touch of your kin, you will finally know completion.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: January 28, 2016, 04:32:24 pm »

Right. I called up a second sun, time to bring in the moon.

"MOON, PLEASE CONTROL THIS CHILD!!!!"

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: January 28, 2016, 04:39:02 pm »

I crawl as far away from the burning drapes as I can, curl up into a ball, and try to rest.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: January 28, 2016, 05:15:19 pm »

Thomas sighed.  Guess it was waiting for the other, then.

Or was he going about this wrong?

"How about you tell me about the local geography, and I try to work backwards from that?

Let's try this the other way around.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 161