Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 249670 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: What I Bring Is Light
« Reply #1020 on: April 23, 2016, 04:19:37 am »

"Hmm. I think you should stop doing that, I prefer the ground not falling out from under my feet. Goodbye now."

Proceed with my wall-opening plans to begin finding the mysterious knight lady. That is, go find my way to the castle itself and punch/slice/etc a hole in the wall to see if she's in there. The wall of the castle, not the castle.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: April 23, 2016, 07:14:36 am »

I spit blood as I wave Mr. Daniels goodbye.

Anyway. This word doesn't seem to be doing the job. Still, that thing I conjured up could probably be useful if it had an appetite for stoatmen. Once Mr. Daniels gets well out of earshot, I pop back up over the wall, point at the mound, and shout "HUNGER!" I duck back down once I've seen the effects of the word.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 12:13:18 pm by penguinofhonor »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: April 23, 2016, 07:31:34 am »

The wall of the castle, not the castle.

Well, that clears that up perfectly.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: April 23, 2016, 07:34:27 am »

"Well, if those are arrows or crossbow bolts flying past them, it looks like they're annoying the stoatmen, whatever they're doing. Are words like that commonly heard around here, too?"
Head over to the Blacksmith's to ask why the stone's been moved. Investigating the word can wait till the stoats have calmed down a bit.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: April 23, 2016, 02:27:57 pm »

The wall of the castle, not the castle.

Well, that clears that up perfectly.
Certainly does, don't it?
Er.
What I'm trying to communicate is that I want to make a hole only halfway into the wall to expose all those supposedly hidden passages the worm-knight likes to hide in, rather than punching straight through the wall and into the room beyond whatever wall I'm punching.
Hopefully that helps?
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: April 23, 2016, 02:30:56 pm »

Er.
What I'm trying to communicate is that I want to make a hole only halfway into the wall to expose all those supposedly hidden passages the worm-knight likes to hide in, rather than punching straight through the wall and into the room beyond whatever wall I'm punching.
Hopefully that helps?

What I'm more curious about is whether you mean the wall of the keep or the actual castle wall.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: April 23, 2016, 02:47:20 pm »

Er.
Hopefully that helps?

What I'm more curious about is whether you mean the wall of the keep or the actual castle wall.
...Also I am not very vocabulary. The wall of the keep. I'd completely forgotten those were called different things.
Sig! Onol

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: April 23, 2016, 11:03:03 pm »

"Er, yes, go on..."

Listen more.  Ask what could be done if an opportunity presents itself.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: April 24, 2016, 11:35:28 am »

"Your clan, eh? Where they can be found then? Might as well pay a visit while we are on the road."

Eat the berries. Listen what wind is whispering? Where's the next adventure?

The berries are roughly the size of tomatoes, so you start off with one. You've already had some cheese, after all.

[Taste the Red: 4]

They're also, oddly enough, similar in taste to tomatoes. Perhaps a little sweeter. Not bad at all. You have another one to top yourself off while resuming conversation with Lee.

[Moth's Flight: 6]

You ask her where her clan might be. She thinks a moment. Northward, probably. Past Anglefork. Maybe close to Elizabeth. It is a good place for those of the Moth. This being said, she looks back toward the town of Anglefork and its adjunct castle with a great deal of wariness.

[Whispers on the Wind: 2]

The wind, meanwhile, is even less talkative, whistling innocently along your ears like a cheeky old bastard.

"Hmm. I think you should stop doing that, I prefer the ground not falling out from under my feet. Goodbye now."

Proceed with my wall-opening plans to begin finding the mysterious knight lady. That is, go find my way to the castle itself and punch/slice/etc a hole in the wall to see if she's in there. The wall of the castle, not the castle.

You walk on down to the keep and set yourself up next to a likely-looking wall. As good a place to start as any.

HUNGER

Huh. That sounded a little familiar, you must say. Oh well. Gotta punch a wall first.

[To Punch The Very Walls: 5+1]

You take a moment to breathe deep and prepare. It seems like a really dumb idea to just try and punch the shit out of a stone wall. You suppose, however, that you have done far more counterintuitive things today. You don't think it's likely to end too badly, anyway. Your non-injured arm uncoils into a powerful jab, and the wall gives under the force of your fist, a block of stone crumbling as it is dislodged by the blow. Didn't hurt half as much as you thought it would, honestly. Hell, your hand's not even broken or anything. An odd thing, really.

You look inside. You appear to have dug upon something, at least. A dark space of some kind. Lucky shot, you suppose - looks like a vertical shaft of some kind. Pretty narrow. Goes a ways downward. And it's got a ladder! Cool!

A rustling nearby interrupts your appreciation of the find. It's a guard. She looks to be in the middle of reconsidering her hasty decision to come and investigate what you were doing after witnessing your bare fist break a sizable hole into a stone wall. She smiles and waves nervously. Haha. Having a good day, sir?

I spit blood as I wave Mr. Daniels goodbye.

Anyway. This word doesn't seem to be doing the job. Still, that thing I conjured up could probably be useful if it had an appetite for stoatmen. Once Mr. Daniels gets well out of earshot, I pop back up over the wall, point at the mound, and shout "HUNGER!" I duck back down once I've seen the effects of the word.

Maybe you can redefine the thing's wants, if you try hard enough... here goes.

HUNGER

[Word: 6]

You poke out through the crenellation, pointing at the approaching mound with both hands as you scream out the word. It swells. It rises. It starts to rupture. You catch a glimpse of what emerges. This is sufficient to convince you that letting it notice you is likely a very poor idea.

You duck behind the next parapet again just as another bunch of bolts rains down on the area. The earth groans. The stoats scream, briefly. You hear a high-pitched warble as something propels itself along the field below. You hear the twinkling sound of light-bubbles popping into brief glimpses of one's innermost fears.

"Well, if those are arrows or crossbow bolts flying past them, it looks like they're annoying the stoatmen, whatever they're doing. Are words like that commonly heard around here, too?"
Head over to the Blacksmith's to ask why the stone's been moved. Investigating the word can wait till the stoats have calmed down a bit.

She doesn't recall too many words like that, no. Seems to be a recent development. Might be the madness bubbling over. She expected something like this to happen eventually, really.

HUNGER

Best not to question it much, she supposes as you walk over to the blacksmith's door. He's been something of a recluse, your companion explains. Probably one of the less sane individuals around here. Bearing this in mind, you knock on the door. It opens surprisingly quickly, revealing a manic, naked youth mostly shrouded in the deep darkness of a boarded-up indoor smithy.

[Path of Inspiration: 6]

Ah, he says! You must be the masters, then. Come in! He has MANY insights to discuss. The door opens a little wider and the youth swallows noticeably. He is visibly shivering.

"Er, yes, go on..."

Listen more.  Ask what could be done if an opportunity presents itself.

There's also a certain nervous quality she's noticed about these particular stoats, yes. There's the scent of the ghetto about them. It doesn't really leave someone that has lived there for a time. Their sense of place has not departed fully, and their fear is stronger than ever. Why would they pursue the royal house this far, if not for fear of their regime collapsing if they do not? Only so many royals you can display to the crowd or feed to the pyre. They're only going to eat each other afterwards even if they do win. It's all so very stupid, so-

[Presence of Mind: 4]

-ah, right. She turns to you again. Her apologies. She forgot herself there for a moment. What was your question? How can you help? Hm. You don't seem like you're really much for a fight. Though of course where there's a will there's always a way. You want a spot in the guard? There's few spare beds in the barracks, of course, but no shortage of equipment. And she's sure quite a few of the guardsmen would love having somebody around to instruct. Herself included, she smiles.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: April 24, 2016, 11:45:29 am »

So it seems the well's comments are bearing out. For an overly logical asshole it can be pretty helpful at times.

"Oh, just checking to see if the Worm-Knight's anywhere to be found. Oh worm-knight! I have an offer for you!"

Yodel/yell into the tunnel. Any response? If not, get into the tunnel and start heading down.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 05:19:17 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: April 24, 2016, 12:10:50 pm »

Yep, that seems like it's in a good place now. I'm sure it's going to move away from the castle, probably. Anyway, I've meddled enough here, you know? I have other business.

I crawl to the stairs, then down them, then run away from this sea monster in search of masons.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 12:20:48 pm by penguinofhonor »

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: April 24, 2016, 01:59:46 pm »

"Masters? I have a Master's, I guess - from Cambridge, not that you would've heard of it. Does that count?"
Present qualifications and accept the blacksmith's invitation.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: April 24, 2016, 03:36:14 pm »

"Well, I don't have anything better to do or places to be in at the moment, so I guess that's where we will go! By the way, these berries are quite tasty. Have one or two! Tell me about your people. In my world moths are kind of butterflies who are attracted to light. But then again in my world stoats are tiny stupid animals who do not have tendecy to lead rebellion."

To north! To the lands of another group of people named after animals! I do hope we are on northern shore... After all miners' sense of direction is impeccable and not based on celestial objects.
Offer berries too and perform equal excenge of information.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: April 25, 2016, 01:32:14 pm »

So it seems the well's comments are bearing out. For an overly logical asshole it can be pretty helpful at times.

"Oh, just checking to see if the Worm-Knight's anywhere to be found. Oh worm-knight! I have an offer for you!"

Yodel/yell into the tunnel. Any response? If not, get into the tunnel and start heading down.

[The Hills Are Alive: 6]

You yodel mightily down the shaft, finally putting that class you took once to actual use. A call simultaneously alien in origin, yet uniquely human in its overpowering silliness. You let the echoes ring out far and deep, and when they have subsided you listen carefully for a response.

[Yodelocation: 2]

Sadly, there is no return yodel. Perhaps she is less confident in her head voice. Perhaps she finds the act of yodeling deeply degrading to her dignity much like the civilized world you remember. Small minds exist on both sides of the veil, unfortunately. You suppose you'll have to climb down and take a look yourself. You squeeze in through the hole in the wall and start to climb down into darkness, your murder-thought scratching the walls as you move down.

Eventually the ladder ends, seemingly above a larger empty space. Your feet find no purchase deeper down even with a good deal of exploratory swinging, though you do notice that the ceiling of the room below continues into every direction near as you can tell.

Yep, that seems like it's in a good place now. I'm sure it's going to move away from the castle, probably. Anyway, I've meddled enough here, you know? I have other business.

I crawl to the stairs, then down them, then run away from this sea monster in search of masons.

A flawless escape. You foresee no future problems from this particular decision.

Moments later, you are down in the courtyard. At this point you dare to stand up fully and take a look around. The masons ought to be around here somewhere.

[Important Deductions: 2]

Hm. Maybe you could ask someone where they are.

"Masters? I have a Master's, I guess - from Cambridge, not that you would've heard of it. Does that count?"
Present qualifications and accept the blacksmith's invitation.

Cambridge! Such an auspicious name! Cambridge. Cambridge! You must tell him of this Cambridge. He ushers you in, then gives the girl a skeptical look. Is she a master too?

[Thriving on Technicality: 1]

She's an assistant, the girl says. Indispensable to the process of mastering. And also from Cambridge. She knows many people there. Her enterprising smile, however, fails to win the blacksmith over. He'll be the judge of anyone's indispensability, thank you very much! There is no need for assistants! A master was SPECIFIED, a master will be had! Now begone, mischievous wench!

You catch a glimpse of the girl's disappointed frown as the blacksmith slams the door in front of her. The workshop, now robbed of what precious little natural light it had, is mostly only illuminated by a scant few rays of light poking in through gaps in the boarded windows. Nevertheless, the glint in the blacksmith's eyes is both visible and almost palpable as he turns to you once more.

Armor, he says. That is the goal! To preserve life! To cloak a man in protection from the travails of fate! To birth an ideal enveloping form here in the dark, where all things are possible! To find a sheath of destiny to insert the sword of fate into, so that it may not lose its polish! Bestow upon him your mastery, so that he may better know the path to travel!

Pain aids in creation, he offers after a moment's consideration. Pain and dark give solidity to the imaginary realms. Pain brings out a certain animal focus! Crudely shaped, it can be made into a weapon! But other things also. Have you any thoughts?

"Well, I don't have anything better to do or places to be in at the moment, so I guess that's where we will go! By the way, these berries are quite tasty. Have one or two! Tell me about your people. In my world moths are kind of butterflies who are attracted to light. But then again in my world stoats are tiny stupid animals who do not have tendecy to lead rebellion."

To north! To the lands of another group of people named after animals! I do hope we are on northern shore... After all miners' sense of direction is impeccable and not based on celestial objects.
Offer berries too and perform equal excenge of information.

[All Aboard The Expositrain: 2]

She takes a berry after climbing down the tree in preparation for a departure, but does not eat it yet. Your observations seem to amuse her very mildly. She had much the same impression of stoats. The truth of it will bear out in time. In any case, it is time to proceed. Go first. She will follow behind.

[Northward Bound: 1]

You look at the sun. It seems to be in that direction over there. Now you're pretty sure that north is the direction that the sun isn't in, but you think there's like three of those. You pick a vaguely north-like direction, striding on with full confidence in your abilities. Lee does not walk beside you, instead sticking some distance behind you. You are about to give her a shout to hurry up when she falls behind some distance, but are cut off by a whole different shout from up ahead. You turn to look.

Oh hey, it's the road. And, er, four stoatmen. Lightly armored. Wielding spears. Got the look of a peasant levy about them. They seem to be advancing at you from a distance with some urgency. One of them seems to be yelling at you to stop right there.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: April 25, 2016, 01:44:21 pm »

Hmm. Normally I'd consider this a bad idea, but my strength is unlimited as far as I know and my durability seems to be tied to my confidence in my own integrity. So this is clearly going to work. 

Use my strength to form hand and footholds in the stone that I can hold onto as I go downward onto the ceiling of the cavern. Even if I can't hold onto the ceiling with my murder-thought, I'm more than strong enough to hold myself up by only one hand and two feet. Take a look about, see what's in this place.

In case my wording is unclear: climb down onto the ceiling of the cavern and hold on by using my unnatural strength to make handholds/simply grip the stone hard enough to support my weight.
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 161