Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 168

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 300939 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #1710 on: May 27, 2022, 07:24:52 pm »

Maybe i'm missing something but i found that the wrench ceased to kill a bit before i reached the 2nd area (in the 1st area it was mostly -> freeze people with the electric power, then crush their head with the wrench while they're stunned) starting from there every normal enemy needed a lot of wrench hits to the head to die (while they were all using guns on you, and they always un-freeze after the 1st wrench strike)  and your health goes down so fast once they unfreeze. 

Managed to save 3 little sisters after wasting lots of ammo to kill their big guardians (died a lot too in the process, forcing me respawning from those chamber devices), i then obtained in a gift for those 3 saves the "hypnotize" plasmid just before a boss battle.
Sounded usefull to get those big daddy thingies fighting for me, excepted that there's no big daddy alive anymore on that level :D , dying a lot in that fight and coming back, i was hopefull that i could then win the attrition war.

Then i crashed, again.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: May 27, 2022, 09:09:17 pm »

There are several gene tonics that vastly improve the wrench's damage.  Add to that the tonics that make you run faster and the one that makes you invisible when you stop moving, and you can melee everything.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: May 30, 2022, 03:12:34 am »

I never really did melee in ether game, so was I missing out on anything by not going melee only?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: May 30, 2022, 10:01:49 am »

I also really like the endgame. They've done away with the 'New Game+' that has been in every past Borderlands, forcing players to go through the entire story multiple times in order to progress. Now the endgame is a simple treadmill, completing trials within a short series of semi-randomized dungeons for a burst of loot and the option to crank up the difficulty a little bit more, gradually unlocking higher tiers of equipment. There's enough gimmicks within the dungeon to keep it feeling varied and exciting, but they can also be a bit overwhelming at times.

That sounds like a huge improvement. Now if they'd also steal the only good part of Middle Earth:Shadow of War (you can level up your gear which lets you keep interesting gear until you find something actually better), it'd be a pretty good game. Also, they need to quit with the tryhard shit that makes up half of their jokes.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: May 30, 2022, 04:12:48 pm »

I never really did melee in ether game, so was I missing out on anything by not going melee only?

It saves the hassle of switching between multiple plasmids and weapons and ammunition types.  My memory is that Bioshock 2 is more balanced.  It's been a while since I've played it though.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: May 30, 2022, 04:21:29 pm »

Started to improve the wrench, and took the wrench damage+ tonic and the "make less noise and do more damage to surprised enemy" one.
Hopefully it will help to spare some ammo (so i can use it on those "big daddy" bullet sponges without worry).

I'm currently in the area with lots of trees that is suddenly filled with poison gas and i'm working to stop that, but i really miss the 1st area of the game (that was absolutely great and immersive) as the environment design has noticably gone downhill since it.

Also, they need to quit with the tryhard shit that makes up half of their jokes.

That depends on who they hired for the writing, like i experienced in the 2 last borderlands games i played :
Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragons Keep : very good writing and storytelling, good characterisations, most of the time very funny jokes.
Borderlands 3 : horrible writing and storytelling , terribly bad characterisations, most of the time unfunny jokes.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: May 31, 2022, 09:24:03 am »

I was wondering how much my german version made dialogue worse in BL3.

Got epic in english, I switch any language prompt to english but sure install the game in system language and don't let me change it -.- I hate when they presume, allways give me the language I'm asking for.

I've allways enjoyed the story on an "ironic" level, like yeah yeah claptrap is cringe let's be good sports about it.
let

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: May 31, 2022, 10:18:05 am »

On my bioshock run, i got through the whole Sander Cohen part, i found this chapter focused on the "music hall/showman/comedian/artist/poet/sculptor/etc gone full psychopath but still trying to make "art" rather fun and refreshing as things started to get a bit repetitive at that point, and this chapter of the game was then very welcome.

Despite the horror of his art, i didn't even killed him in the end after completing his "masterpiece" when he showed up to admire the work as things entertained :D

Then resumed the story progression that had me exploring an area in order to build a big bomb and finally putting it in the core of what seemed a nuclear-type reactor, something that sounded and looked ridiculously insane and dangerous ... and all of that just to open a closed door , sometime i wonder what the guys that wrote this were thinking :D

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: June 01, 2022, 11:39:53 pm »

Picked up Necromunda: Hired Gun on sale during the WEEK OF SKULLS.

I'd seen this come out a while ago but honestly there were too many games to play, and I've dithered on getting it several times. I've already watched several reviews of it and they were all middling to good.

But with Darktide coming eventually I figured it was the time and...

Well it's only the early game. The long-term meta of play has some issues, but setting all that aside...

Good lord. The environmental detail is simply stunning. Streum On (Eye: Divine Cybermancy, Space Hulk: Death Wing) continue to make hands down the best and most absurdly detailed and flavorful 40k settings. Every single inch of the game has beautiful, crisp details. It's the kind of obsession where you'd not be surprised to look at a rivet and see that it's a little skull. It's a gorgeous game....mostly.

Character models are similarly really detailed, but then you see like an ogryn....and it's this flat, almost baby-like texture work. Smooth and without features compared to the richly designed gangers and other NPCs.

The game is going for a fast-paced DOOM-like combat, where it wants you up close. You get an overshield recharged by pickups, some instant health packs, and can replenish HP by doing damage to someone that just hurt you. It has melee insta-kills you can use at close range, although unlike DOOM they don't refill you.

Just like EYE, there's.... a lot going on in the game in terms of features, sort of all over the place. Lots of weapon customization, from scopes to stocks to foregrips, muzzles, magazines....augmetic enhancements to your bounty hunter for new abilities, better health, the usual. There's wall running, slow time. You even get a Cyber Mastiff pet to sick on dudes, although tbh it already feels like a mechanic I'll forget to use.

It sounds pretty great and some of it is, but then there's big ol weird cracks in design that leave me scratching my head after the first mission. There's chests to discover in each mission that yield guns and two different kinds of trinkets for equipping to your person or your weapon. But at the end of each mission, it only lets you keep 1 type of each gun you found, and a limited amount of trinkets. The rest gets converted to cash. Guns and trinkets have semi-randomized properties, so the same kind of pistol can have significantly different stats between different drops. The same kind of pistol might in one version have better range but less handling, while another drop is the opposite. And the way you manage your loadouts feels clunky and rough, the number of screens you have to go through and the way they look. There's definitely what I would call some Euro Jank here, of a very familiar kind from Space Hulk: Deathwing and even EYE.

The story is so far kind of hit or miss, and seems somewhat needlessly complicated up front. It pretty much hot drops you into the middle of Necromunda gang politics & warfare with a murder mystery of some big wig as the reason you're there in the first place. If you really know 40k and Necromunda lore it'll all flow pretty well but I imagine someone ignorant of 40k would just be like...."Ok, I don't know what any of this shit means, on to gunning people down." It feels like a game made for 40k fans and less for general audiences.

All that said, I'm really looking forward to getting into more of it. It's yet another quirky game from Streum On but it delivers the roleplay atmosphere. As an RPG shooter I'm not quite sure where it stands yet. I started on hard and it definitely already put me to the test in the first level. It expects you to move quickly through difficult terrain while continuing to shoot, and your enemies do not patiently sit in cover and wait for you to kill them. Lots of times I'd zip into cover to reload and just catch a break and guys would follow me right into my hiding spot and continue blasting me. I turned off a lot of conveniences like auto-reloading and enemy outlines to make the game feel grittier and be tougher...and yeah, it's both of those things.

Anyways, I'm pretty f***ing immersed so if you want an amazing 40k setting to get immersed in and blast some gangers, give it a look.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 11:40:49 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: June 02, 2022, 05:56:54 am »

Not sure if it's too early for a thread of it's own yet but Owlcat, who's made the recent Pathfinder games Kingmaker and Wrath of the Righteous, just announced the development of a Rogue Trader game: https://youtu.be/I4VUmndj9rw
Love, scriver~

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: June 02, 2022, 11:09:32 am »

Finally completed Bioshock , and was surprised to get the good ending with it.

I thought the good ending would have been making things harder but despite saving the little sisters instead of killing them deliver you less fluid, i could still buy/get every upgrades and most (at least the most usefull ones) tonics and plasmids, so there was no real reason to not go for the best ending from the start.

The final boss went down easier than i thought, but i was equipped for that so it was no surprise.

The world building was nicely done through the audio but overall i found the game was uneven : some parts of it were really good, but other were mediocre.
The main problem (as it was what made or unmade the immersion) was the level design, some levels were making you really feel you were in an underwater city (most of the beginning of the game succeed at that), but unfortunately many other levels of the game (past the beginning unfortunately) could have took place in any generic warehouse in the world and the underwater feel was completely lost. 
Also the heavy linearity of the game makes it so you don't actually feel in a city but only in a couple of buildings/warehouses.

Started playing Bioshock 2 and so far the level design feels a very lot better, though i'm still early so hopefully things will stay like that.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: June 02, 2022, 11:39:50 am »

Yeah, I never saw the point to sacrificing the Little Sisters. As you say it didn't net you anything extra that being good wouldn't get you, AFAIK. But, ya know, obligatory "must have multiple endings" even though mechanically there's no point to it.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: June 02, 2022, 12:00:46 pm »

I believe that I read somewhere that they'd originally planned on making it a real choice between saving the Sisters and being poor, or harvesting them and being rich/powerful; but somewhere in either development or testing they decided to wimp out and provided boosts to the rewards you got from following the 'good' path which pretty much negated the decision.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: June 02, 2022, 12:40:41 pm »

It would have been a much bolder and interesting choice to do it that way.

But it’s the dev’s curse: when you make shit you want people to use it, and gate keeping it behind moral choices means many wouldn’t.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: June 02, 2022, 12:51:04 pm »

Yes, I mean, people complain about most of Dishonored 1's most fun toys being tied to a lethal playstyle, because they feel compelled to go for the nice guy ending. ;p
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 168