Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 168

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 300539 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #840 on: June 10, 2020, 07:46:19 pm »

Suiciding your own commander like that is also a thing you can do in some circumstances, heh. It usually didn't really, uh, help. But it was great when it did.
I've seen this done in SupCom team play, it was fantastic.

A player was just about knocked out of the fight, and somehow managed to sneak their commander right in behind the enemy commander. Enemy commander tries to run away while this suicidal jackass just trudges closer with a giant "SHOOT ME, BITCH!" sign on it.

Eventually they either have to shoot you back (killing both of you), or just accept that you'll destroy their entire base if you have enough energy generation.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: June 12, 2020, 06:58:05 am »

Depth of Extinction: Do you like XCOM(NuCOM) and are attracted by the thought of FTL-style progression with pixelart aesthetics? In the Itch.io bundle.

Battles in the first few sectors feel pretty same-y, partly due to their version of the 'pod': Battles are mostly contained to individual rooms, which means your strategy is to use the doors as chokepoints/cover. I've had two battles take place with a different layout, which was effectively a large open area with cover. In both cases, the general plan of letting snipers do the heavy lifting works perfectly fine.

It does have one feature which I really like and wish could be incorporated into more tactical games-- as long as all the opened rooms are clear of hostiles (or haven't been triggered yet), you can let the AI control your squad while you manually take point. They'll pick up loot automatically and position themselves behind you in some semblance of cover until hostiles are spotted or you turn off the function.

Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: June 13, 2020, 12:39:28 am »

I recently played Superliminal, a game from the maker of The Stanley Parable. I was hoping for more of the same, and was a little bit disappointed.

My biggest complaint is that Superliminal is entirely linear, where TSP had multiple paths to explore, often with unexpected results. The dialogue also strikes me as somewhat less witty.
There are puzzles, and a few of them had my scratching my head for a while before realizing the obvious solution and feeling pleased with myself. There were only a few of those moments however, with most of the puzzle solutions being fairly obvious.

I got this game heavily discounted through the Epic store, and I feel like it was barely worth what I paid. Couldn't recommend it at full price.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: June 13, 2020, 06:23:09 pm »

From the Itch bundle: Brave Hero Yuusha is a pretty decent RPG maker game (or at least looks like one). It's not a great game, but for having paid for over 1,000 games, this one is good for the price.

Edit: Beacon from the itch bundle is an interesting idea: you're a clone who powers up by combining different types of DNA, but mostly it's about running around shooting stuff. There's not enough stuff to shoot, because half of the weapons bounce off enemies to create bombs (so it tends to hit you if you hit directly), or start fires. That means you shoot stuff, wait for the hazards you created to go away, then run around exploring more. The base plasma pistol doesn't do that, fires fast, and accurately. That means I pretty much just used that always. It looks gorgeous, and I'm guessing it's someone's thing. Mostly it just made me want to replay Satellite Reign.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 12:58:44 pm by Iduno »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: June 15, 2020, 04:48:25 am »

So we finally got a proper gameplay trailer for Mortal Shell, a rather on the nose copy of DS (tho still looking pretty damn good)

My only gripes is the slightly janky animations and the weirdly desynced hit sounds (those especially are off-putting since sounds are super important in reading the timings of your hits, having them all over the place really screws with that feedback)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: June 15, 2020, 06:39:15 am »

After completing Hitman Absolution , i was looking forward the unlocked Contract mode.

From what i read and saw on youtube that contract mode was making most of the replay value of the game with its freeform gameplay (you select a level, you select a weapon and costume, then select targets and try to take them out, giving you then a good sandbox replayable gameplay), as the campaign while i enjoyed it was very linear , offering only few way to complete a level(and most of the time only 1 way) and unlike Hitman of past you couldn't even use your previously unlocked weapons in it when replaying.

So after completing missions after missions until the end ..*spoiler*.. and having ending credits rolling, let's get to the main menu, hmm ? where's that Contract mode option ?

Learned the hard way that for some reason the devs made contract mode online-only as apparently you could  share your own self created contracts but as usual with online-only crap when servers are taken down permanently features are broken.

So what did they do, instead of simply allowing you to just play your contract offline they took down the feature entirely from the game, cutting a good bunch of replay value.
Oh well, at least i enjoyed the campaign a bit (out of some very stupid situations in the cutscenes) on my first play through, will have to try if upper difficulties give it replay value.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 06:50:13 am by Robsoie »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: June 15, 2020, 08:31:52 am »

After completing Hitman Absolution , i was looking forward the unlocked Contract mode.

From what i read and saw on youtube that contract mode was making most of the replay value of the game with its freeform gameplay (you select a level, you select a weapon and costume, then select targets and try to take them out, giving you then a good sandbox replayable gameplay), as the campaign while i enjoyed it was very linear , offering only few way to complete a level(and most of the time only 1 way) and unlike Hitman of past you couldn't even use your previously unlocked weapons in it when replaying.

So after completing missions after missions until the end ..*spoiler*.. and having ending credits rolling, let's get to the main menu, hmm ? where's that Contract mode option ?

Learned the hard way that for some reason the devs made contract mode online-only as apparently you could  share your own self created contracts but as usual with online-only crap when servers are taken down permanently features are broken.

So what did they do, instead of simply allowing you to just play your contract offline they took down the feature entirely from the game, cutting a good bunch of replay value.
Oh well, at least i enjoyed the campaign a bit (out of some very stupid situations in the cutscenes) on my first play through, will have to try if upper difficulties give it replay value.

Aw. I haven't really done contract mode in the new Hitman games, but at least it's good to hear there is a reason to do so. I think the weird challenges (kill everyone with a cannon, kill both targets with the same bullet, etc.) are an interesting way to get you to replay the levels, even if there is usually only one way to get it to work.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: June 16, 2020, 11:17:06 am »

I spent like 90 bucks on game bundles lately or this'd be an instabuy and full thread candidate.

Hardspace Shipbreaker, out today.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #848 on: June 16, 2020, 05:16:25 pm »

I spent like 90 bucks on game bundles lately or this'd be an instabuy and full thread candidate.

FWIW, Scott Manley did a recent video on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj0FKs7l8sA

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: June 16, 2020, 10:56:02 pm »

I bought Shipbreaker. Planning to install later tonight.

I've been loosely following the game for a while now; loosely enough that I had been expecting an open-world sandbox, and was a bit disappointed upon closer inspection today seeing that it's not open at all, but just a series of very limited shipwreck spaces. Still, the price-point was right, so I'll give it a chance anyway.

EDIT: Played it a little bit. Experienced a game-breaking bug in the tutorial. Forums indicate there are several such bugs currently.
It seems there are only 2 ships in the game right now, with a few minor variations on each. Far less content than I'd been led to expect.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 04:45:34 pm by Folly »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: June 16, 2020, 11:28:21 pm »

FWIW, Scott Manley did a recent video on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj0FKs7l8sA

I think I was sold when the character put their hand on a hollow pipe in order to hear if it was actively running. Holy immersion!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: June 17, 2020, 04:51:10 pm »

I'm generally not much for "Working simulators" but Hardship Spacebreaker looks stupidly cool. I imagine it gets a little old after the new features play out, but, holy immersion indeed.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: June 19, 2020, 12:49:08 am »

I purchased and played Hardship Spacebreaker (HSB from here on out) and, well, it's fun. It's different. You are given the lascutter from Deadspace and the blue gravity gun from Garry's mod, and spat out at a ship with zero handholding. I wouldn't call the game hard, but you need to get used to the zero-g maneuvering and tool mechanics, and also become familiar with the various hull designs, in order to make a serious profit. You must pay daily interest totaling about $500k, which is coincidentally the scrap value of an undamaged class 1 reactor, which is guaranteed in every ship and not nearly as dangerous as the game makes it out to be. Sure, it's an immediate death should it explode, but that has only happened once in the 30 or so ships I've encountered so far. The resulting debris bubble was spectacular to witness, and not all that difficult to clean up.

Your cutter is not as powerful or as freeform as I first imagined, which was a realization that disappointed me. You have two modes, that work to either heat up an object to disintegration, or to slice an object vertically or horizontally. The objects you can interact with seem to be limited to pre-established anchor points, which is kind of boring to work with, or the various aluminum panels that make up the spaceship. You cannot cut into the ship from the outside (at least, not in the first 5 of 10 xp levels in the game), so you are sort of working with only a few potential places to cut. And with the limited ship variation, you end up making the same kind of cuts over and over. Which is OK, but for a 'debt simulator' style game it was kind of monotonous. Since you make loads of dosh selling complete ship components over damaged pieces, you are discouraged from cutting - at least if you plan to 'use the whole buffalo,' as one in-game character describes it. Of course, the option is there to loot and scoot - just take the reactor, engine, and maybe a few packages or consoles, and forfeit the rest. There is no cost to acquiring a new hull to scrap.

I discovered that by grabbing onto a permanent surface, like that of the space station, and left clicking, you can propel yourself at high speeds. This can save you a HUGE amount of time, but must be performed precisely. I haven't fallen into either of the scrap processors, but I'm kind of curious what happens, as there is nothing stopping you from accidentally throwing yourself into one. I imagine you could float off into the void as well, if you ran out of thruster fuel and an inopportune moment. .

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: June 19, 2020, 03:01:31 am »

Of course, the option is there to loot and scoot - just take the reactor, engine, and maybe a few packages or consoles, and forfeit the rest. There is no cost to acquiring a new hull to scrap.

Beyond paying your daily maintenance fees, there's not much point to grinding credits. The real goal should be grinding LP by completing quests so that you can upgrade skills and eventually become a more efficient worker, allowing you to gain credits much faster and actually start paying off some real debt.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: June 19, 2020, 01:42:11 pm »

Oi, you, it's called Hardspace: Shipbreaker. Not the other way around.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 168