Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1008365 times)

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related news thread
« Reply #1605 on: April 05, 2016, 04:50:57 pm »

Less frustration, probably.
It's a huge problem, you know?
Taste my Paci-Fist

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #1606 on: April 06, 2016, 04:04:12 am »

So basically... Loud Whispers is the protagonist of some Lovecraftian story?
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: April 06, 2016, 07:45:17 am »

Well the Netherlands are having a referendum about the association treaty with Ukraine today.

Why some people choose the push for a referendum on exactly THIS issue is beyond me however.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: April 06, 2016, 08:19:12 am »

It's just dumb. Some random media-horny guys from an online platform called GeenPeil thought it a good idea to force our government to waste millions of euros on a national referendum on the trade agreement with Ukraine. They got the required number of signatures to make it happen using social media, and now we have a referendum. The 'against' lobby is trying to make believe that the trade agreement is a step towards EU membership for the Ukraine, which is just not true.
They're just trying to make it look like voting no here is like voting against the EU, and they are handily playing that sentiment.

Sadly, most people who are going to vote haven't even read the trade agreement (which is understandable, since it's hard to read, dull legal stuff mostly about import and export taxes and calibrating tax and banking rules in an effort to make it easier to combat corruption).

I'm not a big fan of referenda, especially when they are about rather insignificant subjects that have no direct impact on your average voter, like the trade agreement with Ukraine. Which by the way, is very similar to trade agreements we already have with Morocco, Japan, Pakistan, and a couple dozen more countries, but about those you won't hear anyone screaming that those deals will lead to EU membership.

Putin for one will be sniggering when a Dutch majority votes no. The trade agreement we are voting about now is the same one that started the whole Maidan protest and the subsequent annexation of the Crimea. The former president of Ukraine decided not to sign the trade agreement, after which the Ukrainian people took to the streets and the president fled to Moscow.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: April 06, 2016, 09:01:45 am »

Well I voted in favour of the treaty.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: April 06, 2016, 09:18:26 am »

But did you vote in favor of the flavor?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: April 06, 2016, 09:21:19 am »

But did you vote in favor of the flavor?

I go for B: chocolate

final answer.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: April 06, 2016, 11:28:59 am »

In other news, the Spanish parliament has gone to the High Court, to file a lawsuit against the Spanish government.
The government led by Mariano Rajoy has refused parliamentary control and questioning ever since they have become demissionairized. This wednesday, the minister of internal affairs refused to appear in front of parliament to answer questions about some corruption cases, and about rising violence between gangs in Madrid. This was the third time a minister did not appear when summoned.

The government argues that they have no responsibility to answer to parliament, since the current parliament is not the one that put his government in office.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: April 06, 2016, 11:58:38 am »

The constitutional court actually. It's a different organ from the high court
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: April 06, 2016, 12:01:23 pm »

The government argues that they have no responsibility to answer to parliament, since the current parliament is not the one that put his government in office.

That makes no sense whatsoever.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: April 06, 2016, 12:42:14 pm »

The argument is that they're a stand-in goverment and are not actually making important decisions (blatant lies. They actually messed into significative stuff)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: April 06, 2016, 01:08:07 pm »

Hehe. Reminds me of that time where we "didn't have a government" and still did stuff like bombing Libya.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: April 06, 2016, 01:40:36 pm »

Well the Netherlands are having a referendum about the association treaty with Ukraine today.

Why some people choose the push for a referendum on exactly THIS issue is beyond me however.
I call it free PR for Russian money.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: April 06, 2016, 06:34:38 pm »

I have to apologize to the Ukrainian people of the Maidan revolution. With 32% of the voters showing up to vote, the Dutch referendum has become valid (with less then 30% showing up it would have been invalid).
61% of those who voted, voted against the trade agreement. Our prime minister has already said that he cannot deny this "convincing victory", and he will not be able to ratify the treaty in Brussels. So he'll have to go tell the EU to restart negotiations with the Ukraine.
Note that the referendum is a 'councelling referendum' and not a 'binding referendum'. This means that in theory, the government is allowed to completely disregard the outcome. However, our government coalition partners are likely way too scared of losing even more electorate to populist Geert Wilders, and it is not likely it will be disregarded.

I think they should however, seeing that 61% of 32% that actually went and voted means that really only 18% of our population of voting age voted against. Most stayed at home, either out of indifference, but many people stayed at home out of disgruntlement with the waste of millions of tax euros on a vague referendum, hoping the percentage of people going to vote would remain below 30%.

I do apologize for this 18% of my countries population that actually went and voted, and voted no. They screwed you over, and gave Putin a pat on the shoulder.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: April 06, 2016, 06:45:26 pm »

Democracy sure feels not great when it gives out results that you don't want, eh?
._.
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 793