Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1008800 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related news thread
« Reply #1695 on: April 11, 2016, 12:28:24 pm »

The German justice department is looking if it is possible to charge tv-comedian Jan Böhmermann with a crime, as per request of the Turkish state.
The comedian recited a smear poem about Erdogan the 31st of march, in a television show called Neo Magazin Royal on the ZDF.
The research into the possibility will take a few days, the german government announced today.

According to Merkel, the freedom of the arts, and freedom of press are not negotiable, neither in Germany nor in foreign countries.
Government sources assure it has nothing to do with whether Merkel herself regards the poem as tasteless, nor has it anything to do with the negotiations with Turkey about the refugee crisis.

The comedian himself started his poem with the statement that what he was about to say, is illegal in Germany. The german justice department is researching whether this is true or not since the broadcast.

In the poem he sings how "Erdogan's balls stink like döner kebab, a pig's fart smells better". He also describes Erdogan as "a man who beats little girls while wearing a rubber mask", and "everyone from Ankara to Istanbul knows that man is homosexual", and "he prefers to fuck a goat while surpressing minorities".

The ZDF channel itself removed the broadcast from it's website, because, according to the director of ZDF it "did not comply with out channel's quality demand for satire".

On social media, Jan Böhmermann himself has 'humbly' apologized for 'damaging a flawless democrat'.
http://www.spiegel.de/kultur/tv/jan-boehmermann-entschuldigt-sich-fuer-erdogan-gedicht-a-1085129.html
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/german-comedian-jan-b-hmermann-could-face-prison-for-insulting-smear-poem-against-turkish-president-a6972356.html

Jan Böhmermann reciting the poem: https://player.vimeo.com/video/161343723
full text:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: April 11, 2016, 12:40:23 pm »

working illegally, but they came knowing full well what they could expect.
Yeah, they know very well that if they fuck a couple of dozen strangers every night, that their familiy members back at home won't get assasinated.

While it's the case for some, you also have girls that decide that the money is worth it.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: April 11, 2016, 03:36:35 pm »

The comedian recited a smear poem about Erdogan the 31st of march,
Poem is an overstatement. It was really just a smear. Calling a Turkish guy a goat-fucker? Seriously? This is not art, this is not satire, it's libel, plain and simple. Böhmermann knew that, and him getting off without some form of guilty verdict would be an insult to our Rechtsstaat. Popularity and day-to-day politics shouldn't dictate the outcome of judicial decisions.

I'm reasonably sure that if he had called Obama a 'banana-loving nigger faggot' the same people rushing to his defense right now would be clamoring for his head.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: April 11, 2016, 03:42:19 pm »

Isn't it Erdogan's lawyers' job to sue him?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: April 11, 2016, 03:46:17 pm »

http://www.politico.eu/article/turkey-asks-germany-to-charge-comedian-jan-bohmermann-for-recep-tayyip-erdogan-insults/

Erdogan is sly, REALLY sly. IMO they shouldn't because that'll just set up a precedent where Erdogan is able to push around Europe to get what he wants.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: April 11, 2016, 04:04:26 pm »

The comedian recited a smear poem about Erdogan the 31st of march,
Poem is an overstatement. It was really just a smear. Calling a Turkish guy a goat-fucker? Seriously? This is not art, this is not satire, it's libel, plain and simple. Böhmermann knew that, and him getting off without some form of guilty verdict would be an insult to our Rechtsstaat. Popularity and day-to-day politics shouldn't dictate the outcome of judicial decisions.

I'm reasonably sure that if he had called Obama a 'banana-loving nigger faggot' the same people rushing to his defense right now would be clamoring for his head.
It's not a poem, yes. It's also incredibly tasteless, I agree.
But I think it was totally worth it. Erdogan deserves every bit of shit smeared on him and I applaud Böhmermann for risking his career to do so.
Taste my Paci-Fist

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: April 11, 2016, 04:11:53 pm »

That is not a poem and really there IS a libel claim probably.

Not to say that I like Erdogan.

But that's just not right.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: April 11, 2016, 04:17:15 pm »

http://europe.newsweek.com/muslims-are-creating-nations-within-nations-says-former-head-uk-equalities-446163?rm=eu

The former head of Britain’s Equalities and Human Rights Commission (EHRC), Trevor Phillips, has admitted he “got almost everything wrong” regarding immigration in a new report, claiming Muslims are creating “nations within nations” in the West.

Phillips says followers of Islam hold very different values from the rest of society and many want to lead separate lives.

The former head of the U.K.’s equalities watchdog also advocates the monitoring of ethnic minority populations on housing estates to stop them becoming “ghetto villages.”
Well then. This is a pretty serious move against the established EU narrative.
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: April 11, 2016, 04:52:16 pm »

But I think it was totally worth it. Erdogan deserves every bit of shit smeared on him and I applaud Böhmermann for risking his career to do so.
So committing (certain) crimes against people is okay as long as they're the right people? Seriously?

Also, risking his carreer? Psht, far from it. The Böhmercrowd will just keep lapping it up, hailing him as a genius of satire - just like they did during Varoufake. His idea there is remarkably similar to his idea here, if you think about it: Go far beyond reasonable or desirable limits of discourse, get called out on it, ride the wave of attention, receive a great amount of support from people who like his politics, and then just sort of sweep the original transgression under the carpet because satire totally doesn't have to adhere to any rules at all, and you're a neo-fascist, a stuck-up establishmentarian, or just severely lacking in humor if you suggest anything else.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: April 11, 2016, 05:01:09 pm »

That is not a poem and really there IS a libel claim probably.

Not to say that I like Erdogan.

But that's just not right.

When you persecute literally 2000 people for insulting you, then you deserve to be insulted.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: April 11, 2016, 05:14:01 pm »

When you persecute literally 2000 people for insulting you, then you deserve to be insulted.
If you kill a lot of people, you deserve to die? Go buy a rifle and hunt down Erdogan, then, because insultng him is not nearly enough.
The Bay12 postcard club

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: April 11, 2016, 07:39:57 pm »

ya i don't really have any sympathy for the glorious eternal leader of the Turkish caliphate and given what he has been doing he is literally no better than a medieval monarch when it comes of censorship of people who don't like him. Ataturk is probably rolling in his grave. maybe its my American-niss showing. we have a long and glorious tradition of constantly insulting and hating our head of state and members of government and no one gives a flying fuck about it. its a pillar of our democracy dammit that every president is the antichrist and literally hitter to half the population at any given time. it keeps anyone from gaining to much support.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: April 11, 2016, 10:58:57 pm »

If you kill a lot of people, you deserve to die? Go buy a rifle and hunt down Erdogan, then, because insultng him is not nearly enough.

Flawless logic.
Love, scriver~

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: April 11, 2016, 11:09:10 pm »

They say there's no such thing as bad tactics...
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: April 12, 2016, 02:22:05 am »

So committing (certain) crimes against people is okay as long as they're the right people? Seriously?

Also, risking his carreer? Psht, far from it. The Böhmercrowd will just keep lapping it up, hailing him as a genius of satire - just like they did during Varoufake. His idea there is remarkably similar to his idea here, if you think about it: Go far beyond reasonable or desirable limits of discourse, get called out on it, ride the wave of attention, receive a great amount of support from people who like his politics, and then just sort of sweep the original transgression under the carpet because satire totally doesn't have to adhere to any rules at all, and you're a neo-fascist, a stuck-up establishmentarian, or just severely lacking in humor if you suggest anything else.
The Varoufake thing was only possible due to how damn sloppy our journalists are working, so I say good he exposed that. Again. After already doing it. It seems the journalists who are so adamant on how important they are because of how well-researched their work is are incapable of learning even when they're shown up for it over and over again.

Good, "risking his career" he might not be.

And yes, in regards to libel laws, breaking them is a perfectly fine form of protest. There are many laws that are fine to be broken as a form of protest – of course, that doesn't protect you from judicial consequences. I don't see Böhmermann trying to avoid those, even if he seems a bit surprised.
Taste my Paci-Fist
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 793