Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1008530 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #2400 on: June 09, 2016, 07:34:20 pm »

Those pics on the packages are mostly good for psychiatrists' bankrolls.
All those poor kids with PTSS from viewing those mutilated corpses, waking up screaming in the middle of the night.
What kid wakes up screaming in the middle of the night from corpses?

They scream and cry "killsteal"
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: June 10, 2016, 03:47:11 am »

So, there has been a lot of EU news about the effort to stop the extension of the licence for glyphosate herbicides.

However, I'm not here to talk about the herbicide per se, but about this part of the article:

Health and Food Safety Commissioner Vytenis Andriukaitis told his fellow 27 commissioners Tuesday that he had been privately contacted by the governments of France, Germany and Italy ahead of the vote urging the Commission to move forward with the reauthorization without their support.

According to sources familiar with the meeting, he blamed the three for silently supporting the pesticide but publicly blaming the Commission.

This crap happens all the time and it infuriate me. National government vote for proposals in the council, or push for policy at the European level, then blame the policy on the EU. Not only is it a way for national governments to avoid having to take responsability for their decisions, which destroy democratic control, but it also maintain that myht of the Commission as some kind of unelected bogeyman forcing policy down the national governments' throats. No wonder the trust in the EU is lowering all over the continent.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

JasmineJas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: June 10, 2016, 09:02:44 am »

I have an EpiPen. My friend gave it to me when he was dying, it seemed very important to him that I have it.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: June 10, 2016, 10:01:53 am »

I understand where the confusion might come from, but methinks you're  in the wrong thread :v
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: June 10, 2016, 12:44:31 pm »

There is a neat little controversy going on about Erdogan's diploma. You apparently need a four-year degree to be President in Turkey, and it seems that Erdogan only had a 2-years degrees. The thing is full of dank meme and claim that Marmara's university president, a crony of Erdogan helped cover for him.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2405 on: June 10, 2016, 04:42:19 pm »

Those pics on the packages are mostly good for psychiatrists' bankrolls.
All those poor kids with PTSS from viewing those mutilated corpses, waking up screaming in the middle of the night.
What kid wakes up screaming in the middle of the night from corpses?
They scream and cry "killsteal"
They develop trauma from not being able to poke them with sticks

4. Do you believe Germans have a choice in taking in refugees
Nope. They're coming either way. I want this to happen with the least amount of friction.
The least amount of friction is the worst possible thing that can happen to Europe. They are not going to give up their culture, traditions and way of life so if there is only little friction, it only means Europe gives up its own.
So what would you do in Yurop's shoes

However, I'm not here to talk about the herbicide per se, but about this part of the article:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This crap happens all the time and it infuriate me. National government vote for proposals in the council, or push for policy at the European level, then blame the policy on the EU. Not only is it a way for national governments to avoid having to take responsability for their decisions, which destroy democratic control, but it also maintain that myht of the Commission as some kind of unelected bogeyman forcing policy down the national governments' throats. No wonder the trust in the EU is lowering all over the continent.
"Less than six months ago, the member states and the Commission still thought it would be a piece of cake to reauthorize glyphosate in the EU." You seem to be forgetting that Vytenis is legally obliged to serve the Commission and not Lithuania as Commissioner, was placed there by Juncker and could not get anything done without this being in the Commission's wishes - which it is.
I had the pleasant surprise a few weeks ago of meeting a retired ambassador from South Africa, and what's most amusing is how one his conversations with the Norwegians went. He said what was the point of talking with them, when he could just go to the French, or British, or Germans and have Norwegian law changed? In this manner the EU has been horrendous for multilateralism. On the front of national democracy it's no secret that Prime Ministers and Presidents have used the EU to pass laws that their countries would find unfavourable, what is mythical about this notion? It's in the article you linked, and you call it mythical? The only thing that has changed is that the Commission cannot afford to incur public opinion turning against them. This is why they scheduled the Greek negotiations over how fucked they want to be until after the Referendum :P
So it just so happens that in this time when they face protests for their actions, they blame national democracy lol

10/10

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: June 11, 2016, 02:29:27 am »

How is it "shoving policy down national governments' throat" when the national government privately support the policy?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: June 11, 2016, 05:43:07 am »

How is it "shoving policy down national governments' throat" when the national government privately support the policy?
I'd wager a guess - it's because the part that privately supports the policy is the minority in the actual government, and they do this sneaky shit because they, as a minority, can't do it openly?
._.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: June 11, 2016, 05:45:54 am »

I'd be a lot happier with the EU if it ran itself like an actual country, (or even like the Use-impaired Nations), rather than like an extended business affair.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: June 11, 2016, 05:48:38 am »

I'd wager a guess - it's because the part that privately supports the policy is the minority in the actual government, and they do this sneaky shit because they, as a minority, can't do it openly?

Nah, it's because it's policy that is unpopular with the population at large, and it's convenient for national governments to blame it on the EU. Funnily enough, they were already managing to pull that off before the Lisbon treaty, when most EU legislation required a unanimity at the Council.

I'd be a lot happier with the EU if it ran itself like an actual country, (or even like the Use-impaired Nations), rather than like an extended business affair.

Yeah, I agree. We should remove the board of director and replace it by an elected parliament. We could even call it the European Parliament... Oh, wait.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2410 on: June 11, 2016, 05:50:40 am »

Majority governments do sneaky shit all the time as well, mostly because the electorate doesn't like it.

But yeah, this sounds like undemocratic hijinks.

I want a bigass unitary European state.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: June 11, 2016, 08:29:57 am »

Yeah, I agree. We should remove the board of director and replace it by an elected parliament. We could even call it the European Parliament... Oh, wait.

Frenchmen deciding the laws of Swedes is not good democracy.

bigass unitary European state.

I want New Zeeland to be part of the USA. New Zeeland can be best ruled by New Yorkers and Californians.
Love, scriver~

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: June 11, 2016, 08:34:44 am »

Frenchmen deciding the laws of Swedes is not good democracy.

Oh, you're moving the goalposts now. I mean, he was just talking about not running the EU like a company.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: June 11, 2016, 08:42:40 am »

I can't move someone else's goalposts.
Love, scriver~

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: June 11, 2016, 08:45:02 am »

Well, why are you quoting my message then, if you're not addressing my argument?

Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 793