Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1008470 times)

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #2550 on: June 14, 2016, 08:55:42 pm »

Banning advertisements over a model that is thin but not proven to be unhealthy is anti-scientific, Puritan nonsense. That said, there are issues with the abuse of Photoshop to create unrealistic beauty standards, but they should not be addressed by demanding that models be fat.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2551 on: June 14, 2016, 11:50:27 pm »

Indeed. Being a bit chubby is not unhealthy. In fact it's a sign of good health.
Chubbiness is an indicator of a lack of fitness; which is unhealthy. Obviously people have a fat layer but if there's enough there to be noticeable then there are some issues,

Being obese is not healthy
It's really sodding unhealthy, more so than being overweight, which is also sodding unhealthy

The girl from the poster, photoshopped or not, is unhealthily skinny. You can almost count all her ribs, her cheeks are collapsed inwards, her eyes pretty deep down the sockets, her hipbones touch the skin.
Unhealthily skinny you say

That girl is fit and slim. If that's unhealthy then fuck me, human race is doomed to look like the blob people in Wall-e
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: June 15, 2016, 01:48:26 am »

I have enough excess central body fat to produce a pronounced spare tire, also it aparrently raises my risk of heart disease and diabetes even if it's only a few kilos of fat. However I only weigh 70 kgs and my ribs are fairly visible, especially if I make the pose that model is in on that picture. Am I too fat? Yes certainly, too thin? Actually yes, it's the lack of muscle tone that makes my ribs visible, that's not necessarily a bad thing though It has been shown that having decent muscle tone lowers risk of many health problems.   
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: June 15, 2016, 01:51:09 am »

Good thing he didn't ban that one particular advert out of government fiat. But yeah, I'm not sure how you'd enforce such a ruling consistently. I wouldn't mind banning photoshop altogether from adverts, it'd be fun to see what they would come up with.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: June 15, 2016, 02:00:11 am »

Good thing he didn't ban that one particular advert out of government fiat. But yeah, I'm not sure how you'd enforce such a ruling consistently. I wouldn't mind banning photoshop altogether from adverts, it'd be fun to see what they would come up with.
GIMP, probably
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2555 on: June 15, 2016, 02:19:50 am »

GIMP, probably
Inb4 MS Paint
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: June 15, 2016, 03:03:40 am »

They could just go back to airbrushing.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: June 15, 2016, 04:22:35 am »

Inb4 MS Paint
Ban every advert that doesn't look like SBaHJ.
Public aesthetic greatly improved.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: June 15, 2016, 06:27:51 am »

You seem to be of the opinion that being against unhealthy body images equals being "pro-obesity". This is a misconception.
I've only ever seen it be said by obese people complaining about healthism, asking for plus sized models to be on billboards to make them feel better about themselves.
Sometimes you exhibit an astounding selective deafness. Of course these people exist, but they're not the only ones and displaying plus-size models is certainly not what I have in mind.

When that billboard first entered public controversy it was obese people complaining about it, when Jamelia from Loose Women said being obese wasn't healthy and that obese women should not be role models for young women she was harassed for fat shaming, and I lost faith in humanity when I sat through 15 minutes of an obese lady trying to tell a doctor she was fine on BBC morning news
I don't care about that particular billboard and I didn't read the linked article. In the end advertising is bad in itself.

No, "a bit chubby" is not the same as "a lack of fitness". Misconceptions like this is why advertising like that is bad.
The problem is exactly that people shouldn't take any kind of advise from advertising and yet advertising is made to influence people. It's ridiculous when people claim that somehow being able to influence people this greatly shouldn't come with some responsibilities, or even go on with "well, you cannot be this responsible" and yet think that advertising is a great idea.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2559 on: June 15, 2016, 06:37:24 am »

I don't care about that particular billboard and I didn't read the linked article. In the end advertising is bad in itself.
Astounding selective deafness

No, "a bit chubby" is not the same as "a lack of fitness".
How chubby is chubby? Chubbiness happens when people overeat and under-exercise.

It's ridiculous when people claim that somehow being able to influence people this greatly shouldn't come with some responsibilities.
Of course advertising comes with responsibilities. The issue here is that people are calling pictures of people who are fit and healthy "unrealistic" and shouldn't be promoted. Which you would realise if you read the article.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2560 on: June 15, 2016, 01:56:46 pm »

Hahaha, mein healthy sides

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: June 15, 2016, 02:07:25 pm »

Indeed. Being a bit chubby is not unhealthy. In fact it's a sign of good health. Being obese is not healthy, but that's something completely different as having a few pounds more than the average poster model. The girl from the poster, photoshopped or not, is unhealthily skinny. You can almost count all her ribs, her cheeks are collapsed inwards, her eyes pretty deep down the sockets, her hipbones touch the skin.

I you'd take off the bra and slip, shaved off her hair, and turned it into a black and white photo, she'd credibly pass as a concentration camp victim :P

I just noticed this gem and I'll point out that if I pulled that pose, you could easily count all my ribs and I'm slightly overweight and deeply unfit.

On a more EU note, Germany announced it is cracking down on underage and polygamic marriage in recent arrivals
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2563 on: June 15, 2016, 02:40:39 pm »

But in practice polygamous relationships are often quietly tolerated, the paper reports. For example, if a man dies, his inheritance may be distributed between his two wives.
But Mr Maas wants to stop authorities turning a blind eye.
"Everybody must abide by the law, no matter whether he has grown up here or has only just arrived," he told the tabloid.
This also applies to forced and underage marriages.
"We cannot tolerate forced marriages, above all, if they affect under-age girls," Mr Maas said.
Bild reports that the federal state of Bavaria alone has registered 550 cases of brides aged under 18, and 161 under 16, among the asylum seekers that have arrived in the recent migrant wave.
In most of these cases, the young girls were already married before their arrival in Germany.
A court in the city of Bamberg recently decided that the marriage of a 15-year-old girl to a 21-year-old man, conducted under Syrian jurisdiction, could be regarded as legal in Germany.
In Germany the minimum age for marriage is 18, but it is possible for a young person aged 16 or 17 to marry, if a family court gives consent, and the other party to the marriage is at least 18.
JUSTice Minister: 0
Tolerance:        1

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: June 15, 2016, 02:42:03 pm »

I don't even know why is there such a big obsession with football in Russia. It's, like, the sport in which we're absolutely in the shitters, every other one we do better, significantly - but nooooo, they just have to like the fucking football!

How many times our football team has to lose like chumps, until the people get the idea that maybe football just isn't our forte, and switch to liking something that we're actually better at, like volleyball?
._.
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 793