Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1008038 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #2760 on: July 14, 2016, 07:32:12 pm »

Hollande said he doesn't want to extend the state of emergency after this attack.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: July 14, 2016, 08:23:26 pm »

I didn't say it wasn't a terrorist incident.  I simply stated that, knowing only that a truck hit the crowd and killed a bunch of people, it was a perfectly reasonable question to ask at that point in time.  Not all mass-death incidents are terrorism; otherwise, we'd be talking about the terrorists behind the Tenerife airport disaster, nor are all people here blessed with precog, to have seen that picture you just posted almost two hours before you posted it.  There was no need to jump on Vilanat's throat over it.

Yes, it's not absolutely confirmed that it was a terrorist attack, or a Muslim terrorist attack, but we both know it was.

And Hollande referred to Islamic Terrorism in his address about the attack.  Looks like the thing we all knew was the case already turned out to be the case.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 08:53:59 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: July 14, 2016, 10:11:51 pm »

Hoo boy, I'm going to be living in Germany. I hope the rest of Europe isn't as bad at containing the bomb cult.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: July 15, 2016, 12:32:52 am »

Hollande said he doesn't want to extend the state of emergency after this attack.

Hollande has just announced that the state of emergency will be extended with another 3 months.

Death toll has risen to 84. Nice hospital calls upon to the people to come and donate blood.

Perpetrator has been identified as a 31 year old Tunesian French man who was known to the police for theft and assault charges. He wasn't on the radar for anti-terrorism agencies though, there had been no signs of that.

I wonder how many more of these attacks the French can take before they decide it's time to show IS that they are a nuclear superpower.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 12:55:25 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: July 15, 2016, 01:05:34 am »

Probably a shitton, considering that nobody responded that way in practice to 9/11, and it would solve literally nothing.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2765 on: July 15, 2016, 01:16:03 am »

Yeah, sending in armies to occupy the Levant would be better. Though a nuclear attack would send much more powerful message than conventional airstrikes.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2766 on: July 15, 2016, 01:20:49 am »

Nuclear attack against what, though? If they explode an empty piece of desert they won't achieve much except irradiating stuff and causing pollution, if they explode an inhabited place then... well, they would explode an inhabited place with nuclear weapons.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2767 on: July 15, 2016, 01:27:21 am »

Raqqa?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: July 15, 2016, 01:35:19 am »

Hey man, raqqa's a perfectly fine music genre.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: July 15, 2016, 01:43:17 am »

Probably a shitton, considering that nobody responded that way in practice to 9/11, and it would solve literally nothing.

Then again 9/11 didn't happen 3-4 times a year.
I'm sure the current French government will never use the nuclear option.
Le Pen, on the other hand...
Don't want to think what could happen if a populist racist became president of one of the world's largest nuclear powers.

EDIT: 9/11 got the world closests to nukes as anything. I mean, nukes weren't used, but I remember watching CNN and other news channels reporting on the Gulf War, and the use of "Mother of all Bombs", whcih aren't nukes, but are designed to make people think they are. Big big boom and mushroom cloud. Using tactical nukes to penetrate bunkers has even been considered by the US coalition during the Gulf War.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 01:50:20 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: July 15, 2016, 01:49:11 am »

The point is that nuke wouldn't help at all.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: July 15, 2016, 02:07:07 am »

Hollande announced that France will intensify it's attacks on IS in Syria and Iraq

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2772 on: July 15, 2016, 02:15:46 am »

I remember watching CNN and other news channels reporting on the Gulf War, and the use of "Mother of all Bombs", whcih aren't nukes, but are designed to make people think they are. Big big boom and mushroom cloud. Using tactical nukes to penetrate bunkers has even been considered by the US coalition during the Gulf War.
Oh, thermobarics? Those are minuscule compared to nuclear weapons. Scary, but not city-sized pressure wave scary.

The point is that nuke wouldn't help at all.
Not tactically, but it would ruin morale. Assuming you're okay with massive civilian casualties. In any case, someone needs to do something major or the war's just gonna drag on indefinitely.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2773 on: July 15, 2016, 02:45:20 am »

Not tactically, but it would ruin morale. Assuming you're okay with massive civilian casualties. In any case, someone needs to do something major or the war's just gonna drag on indefinitely.
The problem is it would proably ruin the users morale than anyone's else.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: July 15, 2016, 03:07:48 am »

Oh, thermobarics? Those are minuscule compared to nuclear weapons. Scary, but not city-sized pressure wave scary.
I thought they were dwarfed by real nukes too, but apparently the yield of the largest thermobaric weapon, the Russian FOAB, is larger than the yield of a yield-adjustable modern nuke at lowest yield setting, with a blast radius of 300 meters.

So while definitly not as powerful as nukes in general, 'miniscule', or 'dwarfed' might be a bit underrating them.

Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 793