Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1002112 times)

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #3660 on: August 10, 2016, 03:01:05 am »

I disagree, fundamentally. I would consider myself, and everyone else in the west, obligated to help people when we are able. Ignoring the crisis, and letting millions of people suffer and die, would be an utterly vile decision.

Oh absolutely, as an individual, I do find myself obligated to help people. And I have, both personally and by donating, cash and clothing. But nations I dont think are obligated to help by just bringing people here. I dont think it solves anything, helps almost anyone nor is it effective. At worst we will see EU disintegrate and national economies collapse. There are 60-something million refugees around the globe and we're arguing over what to do with one million who managed to get to Europe without trying to solve the original issues or letting them help themselves.

Providing help, humanitarian, military and cash, to Iraq, Afghanistan, Mali, Libya and so forth I believe is preferable to just letting those places collapse and then dealing with whatever happens.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3661 on: August 10, 2016, 03:24:49 am »

I'm on the fence about propping up a bunch of Islamic theocracies in order to help people, it sounds kinda counterproductive
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3662 on: August 10, 2016, 04:09:33 am »

But then you were saying they need to integrate. It's like sticking a barrier between pure water and sugar solution and expecting osmosis.
No, they don't need to integrate. They need to go back to their own homes eventually, and we should be focusing on making that possible rather than importing the entire population of the Middle East. But, if any of them really want to stay in their host countries, they should have to pass the same criteria as regular immigrants: learning the language, the laws and the customs of their new country, AND getting a job.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3663 on: August 10, 2016, 05:05:44 am »

But then you were saying they need to integrate. It's like sticking a barrier between pure water and sugar solution and expecting osmosis.
No, they don't need to integrate. They need to go back to their own homes eventually, and we should be focusing on making that possible rather than importing the entire population of the Middle East. But, if any of them really want to stay in their host countries, they should have to pass the same criteria as regular immigrants: learning the language, the laws and the customs of their new country, AND getting a job.
I'd also like to point out that osmosis cannot happen without a barrier between two solutions, transport across a partially-permeable barrier is literally the definition of osmosis
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3664 on: August 10, 2016, 07:16:07 am »

The getting a job part is hard. EU law forbids refugees to work, until they have been granted official asylum status. For the duration of the 2 to 12 years that it takes for the legal procedure about that to finish, they are forbidden by law to get a job.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3665 on: August 10, 2016, 07:25:22 am »

Well that's just silly. Why? Refugees are a big burden on the economy, why not turn some of them into actual contributors?

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3666 on: August 10, 2016, 07:29:25 am »

because farmers and slaughterhouses need cheap black workers. With black I don't mean skin colour, but illegal, unregistered, not paying tax, like in black market.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3667 on: August 10, 2016, 08:26:32 am »

muh bootstraps
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3668 on: August 10, 2016, 09:54:28 am »

A new law has been proposed in the Italian parliament: Parents who raise their kids as vegans, will be charged with criminal neglect, and can face up to 4 years in prison., for "feeding children with a diet that is devoid of elements that are essential for the healthy development of a child".

The politician who designed the new law, Elvira Savino, says that she "has no problem with veganism, as long as it is an adult's free choice. But I think it's absurd to allow parents to force their lifestyle on their kids in a fanatical, near religious way, without proper scientific knowledge, and without having consulted a medical professional."

Tbh, I kinda agree, although I think 4 years in prison is not the right way to go about it. Mandatory child counselling by a medical professional would be better.
Vegan all nice and dandy, but not for a kid growing up.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 10:00:03 am by martinuzz »

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3669 on: August 10, 2016, 09:58:53 am »

I kinda agree with his reasoning.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3670 on: August 10, 2016, 06:36:59 pm »

Well, if they're giving the kids enough supplements, it might work despite the veganism. Why not introduce a bill which makes all intentional malnutrition child abuse?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3671 on: August 10, 2016, 06:53:14 pm »

It's not gonna pass anyway, it's just news for wackiness.

That said, veganism is definitely one of those "can but shouldn't" things. Gotta put those incisors to work.
Well, if they're giving the kids enough supplements, it might work despite the veganism. Why not introduce a bill which makes all intentional malnutrition child abuse?
If they raise them as vegan without supplements it could be UNINTENTIONAL malnutrition.
Some of these people will feed cats vegan diets until they die. There's a line where the "lack of intent" is fueled by political desire.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3672 on: August 10, 2016, 08:02:50 pm »

Veganism is a pretty cruel thing to force on a kid, to be sure

To me, this has as much weight as me saying to you that I consider you obligated to spend at least an hour a day praising the Flying Spaghetti Monster for creating you.
"Feeling obligated to help people is a joke"

congrats

If you personally feel that obligation, great, and there should be avenues open for you to contribute to it (private charities, primarily). But don't force others to go along with you - at least, not without giving them a vote on the matter.
I'm not libertarian so no

As opposed to what we're doing at the moment, which is funding Israel in their efforts to destabilize half the Middle East and make the problem that much worse?
What made you think I support Israel?

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3673 on: August 10, 2016, 09:30:23 pm »

Veganism is a pretty cruel thing to force on a kid, to be sure

To me, this has as much weight as me saying to you that I consider you obligated to spend at least an hour a day praising the Flying Spaghetti Monster for creating you.
"Feeling obligated to help people is a joke"

It's not a joke. Feel free to substitute FSM with Jehovah, Allah, Ganesh, or your own personal diety of choice. Either way, whatever actions you feel morally obligated to take or eschew are your own business - but if you consider me morally obligated to follow the same course of action, I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed. Equally, unless you're a pretty hardcore Christian, I doubt you'd pay much heed to the people who said you were going to hell for not turning up in church every Sunday.
How enlightening. I didn't realize helping real people (as distinct from hypothetical people that evangelism, say, is supposed to help) not suffer or die was the same as going to church on Sundays. Good to know. Makes it so much easier to be a good person.
If you personally feel that obligation, great, and there should be avenues open for you to contribute to it (private charities, primarily). But don't force others to go along with you - at least, not without giving them a vote on the matter.

Please expand on this. Are you saying that because you aren't libertarian, you think it's justified to force other people to perform actions against their own self-interest without their democratic mandate? Sounds pretty despotic to me, if I'm not misinterpreting you.
Democratic mandate does some pretty shitty things, sometimes. Usually I think it best to prevent demagoguery, but maybe that's just me. And personally, I think refusing to help people out of hysteria would be a pretty shitty thing to do.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3674 on: August 10, 2016, 09:44:30 pm »

Please expand on this. Are you saying that because you aren't libertarian, you think it's justified to force other people to perform actions against their own self-interest without their democratic mandate? Sounds pretty despotic to me, if I'm not misinterpreting you.

Welcome to Scotland.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 793